Romanian presidential election, 2014
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Election will be held in 2014 because, according to the Article 83 of the Constitution of Romania, the "term of office of the President of Romania is five years, being exercised from the date the oath was taken". The last presidential election was held in 2009 and Traian Băsescu was sworn in for his second term on 21 December 2009. He is ineligible for a third term according to the Constitution.
Social Liberal Union
The political alliance split in February 2014 amid growing tensions between leaders of PSD and PNL. Initially, the candidate for presidential office from the alliance was Crin Antonescu, President of PNL. Shortly after the decision of PNL to leave the government, PNL member and former Prime Minister Călin Popescu Tăriceanu submitted his resignation from PNL. He intends to run for election in November, announcing the establishment of a new party, Liberal Reformist Party.
Voices inside PSD give to understand that current Prime Minister Victor Ponta would be the best candidate of the party. Victor Ponta announced on Facebook an eventual withdrawal from the political scene after winning the "last battle" in November. In a TV show, President Traian Băsescu stated that "it would be a great drama for Romania as Victor Ponta to become president. Because he has no credibility, (...) is deeply corrupt".
Democratic Liberal Party
After the legislative election in 2012, the Democratic Liberal Party was shaken by the phenomenon called "political migration", many important figures leaving the party in favor of other political formations.
In the autumn of 2013, PDL organized internal elections for designating party's candidate in the struggle for the position of President of Romania. Cătălin Predoiu won the elections with an overwhelming majority in almost all regions of Romania. His counter candidate, Gheorghe Falcă, won the elections only in the West, in other regions gaining somewhat 20 percent.
Greater Romania Party
Corneliu Vadim Tudor, known for a long activity within the Greater Romania Party, was removed from the party leadership following a vote organized in a special meeting. In this context, the party has not designated another candidate for presidential election as of February 2014.
Democratic Union of Hungarians in Romania
It is expected for the first and main ethnic Hungarian party to propose a candidate. No official statement has been made as of February 2014.
People's Party - Dan Diaconescu
Dan Diaconescu, the moral founder of the PP-DD was sentenced to three years imprisonment for extortion in December 2013. In this context, his candidature for the presidential election is improbable.
Civic Force and People's Movement
People's Movement Party (PMP) is a new party founded on 26 March 2013. It is grouped around current President Traian Băsescu and formed by close associates and presidential advisors, after the theatrical separation from the Democratic Liberal Party in early 2013.
Civic Force leader, Mihai Răzvan Ungureanu, said in a press release that members of the Civic Force began discussions for a very close collaboration with the People's Movement Party. It is expected that the two small parties to have a joint candidate: Mihai Răzvan Ungureanu, Prime Minister for 78 days in 2012.
- G.S. (2 February 2014). "Ponta: Alegeri europarlamentare la 25 mai. Alegeri prezidențiale la 2 și 16 noiembrie". Antena 3.
- Constitution of Romania, Article 83
- Marian Chiriac (26 February 2014). "Romanian Coalition Shaken as Liberals Quit". Balkan Insight.
- Carmen Vintilă (27 February 2014). "Tăriceanu lansează Partidul Reformator Liberal. Doi parlamentari l-au urmat azi. Crin Antonescu: Nu există pericolul unei fisuri în PNL". Evenimentul Zilei.
- "VICTOR PONTA vorbește despre RETRAGEREA DIN POLITICĂ". Realitatea.net. 4 April 2014.
- Sebastian Zachmann (14 April 2014). "Băsescu, despre prezidențiabilii PSD: Oprescu, băiat de Dâmbovița. Victor Viorel ar fi o dramă pentru România. Aș opta pentru Geoană, el știe jocul Americii". Adevărul.
- "Un alt lider important din PDL ar putea părăsi partidul". Digi24. 7 March 2013.
- "CĂTĂLIN PREDOIU este candidatul PDL la prezidențiale". Realitatea.net. 16 December 2013.
- "Corneliu Vadim Tudor a fost suspendat de la șefia PRM de membrii a 24 de filiale". Știrile TVR. 15 June 2013.
- "Gheorghe Funar: Consiliul Național Extraordinar al PRM a demis conducerea partidului". Agerpres. 15 June 2013.
- I.C. (18 December 2013). "Dan Diaconescu, condamnat la 3 ani de închisoare cu executare pentru șantaj". HotNews.ro.
- Ioana Câmpean (25 May 2013). "Fundația "Mișcarea Populară" face partid: Membrii-fondatori au decis începerea formalităților legale pentru înființarea unui partid de centru-dreapta". Mediafax.
- "Ungureanu: Avem discuții pentru o foarte strânsă colaborare cu Mișcarea Populară". Ziare.com. 14 October 2013.
- Mădălina Mihalache (25 October 2013). "Ungureanu, Tomac și Cristian Preda, împreună într-un nou proiect politic: MRU candidat la Președinție". Adevărul.