Romanian presidential election, 2014
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
A presidential election will be held in Romania in 2014.
Election will be held in 2014 because, according to the Article 83 of the Constitution of Romania, the "term of office of the President of Romania is five years, being exercised from the date the oath was taken". The last presidential election was held in 2009 and Traian Băsescu was sworn in for his second term on 21 December 2009. He is ineligible for a third term according to the Constitution.
Social Liberal Union
The political alliance Social Liberal Union's designated candidate for the Presidential office is National Liberal Party leader Crin Antonescu. He is largely considered first in poll position for the presidential electoral run next year. It has been speculated that, amidst visible tentions within the USL, the Social Democratic Party, the largest component party of the political alliance, will nominate it's own leader and country's Prime Minister Victor Ponta as candidate for the presidential election. However, Ponta dismissed these rumors and stated that he has no intention to do so, and that his party continues to support Crin Antonescu as the joint nomination of the USL, underlining that the alliance must remain united and continue towards achieving it's electoral promises and governmental plans until, at least, the next legislative elections in 2016.
Democratic Liberal Party
After the legislative election in 2012, the Democratic Liberal Party was shaken by the phenomenon called "political migration", many important figures leaving the party in favor of other political formations.
In the autumn of 2013, PDL organized internal elections for designating party's candidate in the struggle for the position of President of Romania.
Greater Romania Party
Corneliu Vadim Tudor, known for a long activity within the Greater Romania Party, was removed from the party leadership following a vote organized in a special meeting. In this context, the party has not designated another candidate for presidential election as of November 2013.
Democratic Union of Hungarians in Romania
It is expected for the first and main ethnic Hungarian party to propose a candidate. No official statement has been made as of November 2013.
People's Party - Dan Diaconescu
Civic Force and People's Movement
People's Movement Party (PMP) is a new party founded on 26 March 2013. It is grouped around current President Traian Băsescu and formed by close associates and presidential advisors, after the theatrical separation from the Democratic Liberal Party in early 2013.
Civic Force leader, Mihai Răzvan Ungureanu, said in a press release that members of the Civic Force began discussions for a very close collaboration with the People's Movement Party. It is expected that the two small parties to have a joint candidate: Mihai Răzvan Ungureanu, Prime Minister for 78 days in 2012.
- Constitution of Romania, Article 83
- "PSD-iștii vor CANDIDAT PROPRIU LA PREZIDENȚIALE. Ponta TACE, Crin ATACĂ". Realitatea.net. 9 November 2013.
- "Un alt lider important din PDL ar putea părăsi partidul". Digi24. 7 March 2013.
- "Cătălin Predoiu a câștigat prima etapă pentru desemnarea candidatului PDL la alegerile prezidențiale". Știrile PRO TV. 28 October 2013.
- "Predoiu pierde alegerile interne PDL în regiunea Vest". Yahoo! News România. 17 November 2013.
- "Predoiu a câștigat alegerile interne în Regiunea Centru pentru a fi candidatul PDL la prezidențiale". Realitatea.net. 9 November 2013.
- "Cătălin Predoiu este candidatul membrilor PDL din regiunea Nord-Vest". Puterea. 3 November 2013.
- "Cătălin Predoiu a obținut 80,18% din voturi la alegerile interne PDL organizate în regiunea Sud-Est". B1.ro. 1 December 2013.
- "Cătălin Predoiu, ales prezidențiabil al PDL în județele din Oltenia". Gazeta de Sud. 24 November 2013.
- "Corneliu Vadim Tudor a fost suspendat de la șefia PRM de membrii a 24 de filiale". Știrile TVR. 15 June 2013.
- "Gheorghe Funar: Consiliul Național Extraordinar al PRM a demis conducerea partidului". Agerpres. 15 June 2013.
- Ioana Câmpean (25 May 2013). "Fundația "Mișcarea Populară" face partid: Membrii-fondatori au decis începerea formalităților legale pentru înființarea unui partid de centru-dreapta". Mediafax.
- "Ungureanu: Avem discuții pentru o foarte strânsă colaborare cu Mișcarea Populară". Ziare.com. 14 October 2013.
- Mădălina Mihalache (25 October 2013). "Ungureanu, Tomac și Cristian Preda, împreună într-un nou proiect politic: MRU candidat la Președinție". Adevărul.