1985 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1985 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in that year.
- President: Ferdinand Marcos (KBL)
- Prime Minister: Cesar Virata (KBL)
- House Speaker: Nicanor Yñiguez
- Chief Justice:
- June 12 – The Central Bank issued the New Design Series, starting with a new 5-peso banknote with the face of Emilio Aguinaldo.
- August 13 – Fifty-six assemblymen of the Regular Batasang Pambansa signed a resolution calling for the impeachment of President Ferdinand Marcos for graft and corruption, culpable violation of the Constitution, gross violation of his oath of office and other high crimes.
- September 20 – The Escalante massacre was an incident in Escalante City, Negros Occidental where paramilitary forces of the government gunned down civilians engaged in a protest-rally in commemoration of the 13th anniversary of the declaration of Martial Law. At least 20 were dead and 30 more were injured.
- October 18 – Typhoon Saling landfalls on the Philippines. The typhoon left 101 dead and $68 million in damage (1985 dollars).
- December 2 – The Sandiganbayan acquits all the accused including General Fabian Ver in the Assassination of Benigno Aquino Jr.
- December 9 – The Philippine Daily Inquirer was founded by Eugenia Apostol, Max Soliven and Betty Go-Belmonte, as the broadsheet releases its first issue.
- January 14- Jason Abalos, television actor
- January 20 - Roxanne Barcelo, Filipino-American singer and actress
- January 31 - Ronnie Liang, singer
- February 14 - Heart Evangelista, Chinese-Filipino singer, actress and TV show host
- February 17 - Anne Curtis, actress, singer, model and TV show host
- February 24 - Aicelle Santos, singer-songwriter
- March 18 - Bianca King, Filipina-German model and actress
- April 7 - KC Concepcion, singer and actress; currently the Philippines Goodwill Ambassador against hunger of the UN's World Food Programme
- April 16 - JC Tiuseco, Chinese Filipino actor, basketball player, TV show host and model
- April 23 - Angel Locsin, actress and commercial model
- June 6 - Victor Basa, actor
- June 20 - Camille Prats, actress
- June 23 - Laarni Lozada, singer
- June 25 - Ehra Madrigal, actress
- July 15 - Chris Tiu, professional basketball player, TV show host and commercial model
- August 15 - Cogie Domingo, actor
- September 1 - Camile Velasco, Filipino American singer-songwriter
- September 7 - Neri Naig, actress
- October 8 - Bruno Mars, Filipino American singer-songwriter and record producer
- November 5 - Patricia Fernandez, actress
- December 8 - Hero Angeles, actor former Kapamilya actor From 2004-2006
- January 2 - Gabriel "Flash" Elorde, Filipino boxer (b. 1935)
- January 14 - Teodoro Agoncillo, Filipino historian and author (b. 1912)
- March 7 - Victorio C. Edades, Filipino painter (b. 1895)
- April 18 - Arturo Tanco, Jr., former minister of Agriculture (b. 1934)
- May 6 - Julie Vega, Filipina child actress and singer (b. 1968)
- May 31 - Pepsi Paloma, teenage star (b. 1966)
- December 15 - Carlos P. Romulo, Filipino diplomat, politician, soldier, journalist, and author (b. 1898)
- Conching Rosal, Filipina opera singer (b. 1926)
- "8 Incredible Rare Recordings in Philippine History (with key events in 1985)". Filipiknow. February 2, 2015. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- "Philippines Typhoon Oct 1985 UNDRO Information Reports 1 - 3". October 22, 1985. Archived from the original on March 7, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-02.