Banshee (media player)
Banshee's main interface in Ubuntu
|Initial release||February 17, 2005|
|Stable release||2.6.2 (February 18, 2014) [±]|
|Preview release||2.9.1 (March 18, 2014) [±]|
|Written in||C# (Gtk#)|
|Operating system||Linux, Mac OS X (beta), Windows (alpha)|
|Source code repository||git
Banshee is a cross-platform open-source media player, called Sonance until 2005. Built upon Mono and Gtk#, it uses the GStreamer multimedia platform for encoding and decoding various media formats, including Ogg Vorbis, MP3 and FLAC. Banshee can play and import audio CDs and supports many portable media players, including Apple's iPod, Android devices and Creative's ZEN players. Other features include Last.fm integration, album artwork fetching, smart playlists and podcast support. Banshee is released under the terms of the MIT License. Stable versions are available for many Linux distributions, as well as a beta preview for OS X and an alpha preview for Windows.
Banshee uses the SQLite database library.
Banshee's plugin-capable architecture makes the software extensible and customizable. As of 2012[update] stable plugins include:
- Audioscrobbler: Adds the capability of reporting played songs to a user's Last.fm playlist, and play last.fm radio stations (user's library, tags, similar to, etc.).
- DAAP music sharing: Allows sharing of music libraries with iTunes and other DAAP-compatible music software. The current version of Banshee is only partially compatible with iTunes 7, allowing iTunes to open a Banshee library, but not vice versa.
- iPod manager: Allows the transferring of songs, videos, and album art to and from the device.
- Metadata searcher using Musicbrainz: Automatically retrieves missing and supplementary metadata for library items, including album art.
- Music Recommendations using Last.fm: Recommends music based on the currently playing song.
- Mini-Mode plugin: Provides a small window with minimal playback controls and song information.
- Multimedia keys support in GNOME: Banshee can be controlled via multimedia keys as configured through GNOME.
- Notification Area Icon: Adds an icon to the notification area in GNOME.
- Podcasting: Enables Banshee to subscribe to podcast feeds, which are updated on a regular basis.
- Radio: Provides support for streaming Internet radio stations.
Compared to the Linux builds, which have stable releases, the Mac OS X builds are considered beta quality, and Windows builds are alpha quality (and, as of April 2013, two versions behind the other platforms). During Google Summer of Code 2012 Banshee has seen substantial improvements to its OS X support
Helix Banshee was a version of Banshee, included in older versions of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop and openSUSE. It was based upon the Banshee core, but with a plug-in to add support for the Helix framework for playback and transcoding, in addition to GStreamer.
- "October 10, 2012". banshee.fm. October 3, 2012. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "Banshee 2.9.1". Banshee.fm. 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Banshee rename git commit". Git.gnome.org. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Sync". Library.gnome.org. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "GSoC 2012: Improve Banshee's Mac OS X port". Timo Dörr.
- "bgo#641690 Comment #4". Gnome Bugzilla.
- "Gabriel Burt, Twitter". Twitter.
- "OMG!Ubuntu! Article". OMG!Ubuntu!.
- banshee2.0.0. "Banshee 2.0.0 Release Announcement". Banshee. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Banshee (media player).|