|Alternative spelling||Kathleen, Cathleen, Caitlan, Caitlen, Caitlyn, Caitelin, Caitelan, Caitelen, Caitelyn, Catlin, Catlan, Catlen, Catlyn, Catelan, Catelen, Catelyn, Caytlin,Caytlan, Caytlen, Caytlyn, Caytelin, Caytelan, Caytelen, Caytelyn, Catilin, Catilan, Catilen, Catilyn, Catlin, Caitiin, Catlyyn|
Caitlin is a female given name of Irish origin. Its correct Irish spelling is Caitlín (pronounced [ˈkatʲlʲiːnʲ], KAT-leen). It is the Irish version of the Old French name Cateline [katlin], which comes from Catherine, which in turn comes from the Ancient Greek Αἰκατερίνη (Aikaterine). Catherine is attributed to St. Catherine of Alexandria. Along with the many other variants of Catherine, it is generally believed to mean "pure" because of its long association with the Greek adjective καθαρός katharos (pure), though the name did not evolve from this word.
Historically, the name was only anglicized as Cathleen or Kathleen. In the 1970s, however, non-Irish speakers began pronouncing the name as KAYT-lin, which led to many variations in spelling, including Kaitlin, Katelyn, Catelyn, Catelin, Caitlyn, Kaitlyn etc.
- Caitlin Brennan, pseudonym of Judith Tarr, American fantasy writer
- Cait Brennan, American screenwriter and performer
- Caitlin Davies, English writer
- Caitlin Flanagan, American writer and social critic
- Caitlin R. Kiernan, American dark fantasy and sci-fi author
- Caitlin Matthews, co-author with John Matthews of the Encyclopedia of Celtic Myth and Legend
- Caitlin Moran, English journalist and columnist
- Caitlin Thomas, formerly Caitlin Macnamara, wife of poet and writer Dylan Thomas
- Caitlin Stasey, Australian actress
- Caitlin Clarke, American theatre and film actress
- Caitlin Wachs, American actress
- Caitlin Fitzgerald, American actress and filmmaker
- Caitlin Carmichael, American child actress
- Caitlin Cary, alternative country musician
- Caitlin Lynn, of the country music duo Caitlin & Will
- Caitlín Maude
- Kaitlyn Maher, American singer from America's Got Talent
- Katelyn Tarver, American singer/songwriter
- Caitlyn Taylor Love, American singer/actress
- Caitlin Rose, American singer
- Caitlin Bassett, Australian netball player
- Caitlin Campbell, New Zealand footballer
- Caitlin Cahow, American ice hockey player
- Caitlin Carruthers, better known as Kitty Carruthers, American figure skater
- Caitlin Cooper, Australian footballer
- Caitlin Cunningham, Australian basketball player
- Caitlyn Jenner, formerly known as Bruce Jenner, American track & field athlete and Olympian
- Kaitlyn Lawes, Canadian curler
- Caitlin Lever, Canadian softball player and Olympian
- Caitlin Leverenz, American swimmer
- Caitlin Lowe, American softball player and Olympian
- Caitlin Mallory, American-born ice dancer
- Caitlin McClatchey, Scottish swimmer
- Caitlin Munoz, Australian footballer
- Kaitlyn (wrestler), ring name of American professional wrestler Celeste Bonin in WWE
- Kaitlin Sandeno, American swimmer
- Caitlin Brunell, Miss America's Outstanding Teen 2008.
- Kaitlin Colombo, American comedian.
- Katelynn Cusanelli, from The Real World: Brooklyn
- Caitlin Hill, YouTube personality (username "stageTheHill88")
- Caitlin Kinney, American dancer and So You Think You Can Dance (season 5) contestant
- Caitlin Morrall, American beauty queen (Miss Wisconsin USA, 2007)
- Caitlin Sanchez, voice of the animated character Dora the Explorer
- Caitlin Glass, American voice actress
- Caitlin McCarthy, from "Watch Over Me"
- Catelyn Stark, Fictional character from the A Song of Ice and Fire book series and television series
- Caitlin's Way, US-Canadian live action children’s drama
- Caitlin, fictional character in the second season of the TV series Heroes
- Caitlin, a character in the Pokémon series; first introduced in the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, she was later revealed to be an Unova Elite Four member
- Kait(lyn), fictional character in the webcomic Freakangels
- Caitlin Atkins, fictional character from Australian television series Neighbours
- Caitlin O'Shannessy, fictional character from the television series Airwolf
- Caitlin Bree, fictional character from 1994 movie Clerks
- Caitlin Cooke, a character from the show 6teen
- Kaitlin Cooper, fictional character from U.S. television series The O.C.
- Caitlin Deschanel, a fictional character from U.S. television series Sunset Beach
- Caitlin Fairchild, fictional character from the comic Gen¹³
- Caitlyn Goodwin, fictional character from American dub of the Japanese anime series Ojamajo Doremi
- Caitlin Pike, fictional character from U.S. television series JAG
- Caitlin Ramirez, a fictional character from The Bold and the Beautiful
- Caitlin Ryan, fictional character from the Degrassi television series
- Caitlin Somers, a fictional character from Summer Sisters by  Judy Blume
- Caitlin Todd, fictional character from the U.S. television series NCIS
- Kaitlin Joyce, fictional character from the Canadian television series and novel jPod
- Kaitlyn Fairchild, fictional character in the trilogy Dark Visions Trilogy by L. J. Smith
- Caitlyn Gellar, character from Camp Rock played by Alyson Stoner
- Caitlin Lombardo Moltisanti, the daughter of Christopher Moltisanti and Kelli Lombardo Moltisanti in The Sopranos
- Caitlin O'Koren, the main character in Dreamland (Dessen novel)
- Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover, a playable champion character in the action real-time strategy video game League of Legends
- Caitlin the Streamlined engine a recurring character in the television series Thomas & Friends
- Caitlin Badwylf, fictional character in the book trilogy When We Lived by Cairo Silvering.
- Caitlin Snow, fictional character in the comic book trilogy The Flash, also in the TV Show; 'The Flash.' Later becomes Killer Frost.
- Kaitlin Costello Price, character in the 1982 film The Verdict.
Other uses of the name
- Typhoon Caitlin (disambiguation), two tropical cyclones
- "Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Katherine". Retrieved February 6, 2008.
- Hanks, Patrick and Hodges, Flavia, eds. (2006). A Dictionary of First Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- "Caitlin - Origin and Meaning of the name Caitlin at BabyNames.com". Retrieved March 4, 2008.
- "Irish Names: You say Caitlyn, I say Kaytlynne...". Retrieved March 4, 2008.
- "Origin and Meaning of Caitlin - Baby Girl Name Caitlin". Retrieved March 4, 2008.
- Summer Sisters
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|