|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hare School is one of the oldest schools in Kolkata, India, teaching grades one to twelve under the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education and the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education. The boys school was established by the Scottish watch-maker, David Hare. The establishment date is not agreed upon, but the official year of establishment is 1818. Thus the school is declared as the oldest western type school in Asia. The school is situated opposite the Presidency University, and is also adjacent to the University of Calcutta and Hindu School. The combined campus of the Hare School and Presidency College is one of the largest in Kolkata.
- Krishna Mohan Banerjee - educationist, linguist and Christian Missionary.
- Rajnarayan Basu - writer, intellectual, and social reformer.
- Girish Chandra Ghosh, playwright, theatre director and thespian
- Jagdish Chandra Bose - scientist. His work includes crescograph to prove life in trees, First proof of radio waves.
- Akshay Kumar Baral - poet.
- Dibyendu Barua- chess grandmaster.
- Pramathesh Barua - actor and director.
- Brajendranath De, I.C.S., - civilian and historian.
- Guru Dutt, actor.
- Romesh Chunder Dutt - civil servant, economist, historian, poet, translator of Vedas.
- Ramtanu Lahiri - researcher on Bengali language, member of the Young Bengal group.
- Dinabandhu Mitra - Bengali writer of British India, works include Neel Darpan.
- Prafulla Chandra Roy - Scientist/chemist: worked on various mercury compounds & founder of Bengal Chemical.
- Nagendra Prasad Sarbadikari - first Indian footballer.
- Peary Charan Sarkar - social reformer and writer.
- Radhanath Sikdar - mathematician, first person to calculate the height of Mount Everest.
- Meghnad Saha - inventor of the theory of thermal ionization.
- Ziaur Rahman - freedom fighter, and President of Bangladesh 1977-1981.
|This article about a school in West Bengal, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|