Indian Institute of Management Rohtak
|भारतीय प्रबंध संस्थान रोहतक|
|Motto||ज्ञानेन गुणेन च प्रबन्धः|
Motto in English
|Management through knowledge and values|
|Type||Public business school|
|Affiliation||Indian Institutes of Management|
|110 (executive education)|
|Location||Rohtak, Haryana, India
The Indian Institute of Management Rohtak, (abbreviated IIM Rohtak or IIM-R) is a public business school located in Rohtak, Haryana, India. Founded in 2009 as the eighth Indian Institute of Management, it is the first IIM in North India and the only IIM in National Capital Region.
It offers post graduate diploma, fellowship and executive programmes in management. All the programs are accredited by AACSB. The institute has taken many entrepreneurial and social initiatives since its inception.
- 1 History
- 2 Infrastructure
- 3 Organisation
- 4 Programmes
- 5 Student life
- 6 Social initiatives
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
In 2007, Ministry of Human Resource Development proposed setting up of 7 new IIMs as a part of the 11th Five Year Plan. The proposal was also endorsed by National Development Council. 4 IIMs were supposed to be set up in 2009 in the first phase with the rest 3 being set up in 2010 in the second phase. However, because of infrastructural issues, only 2 out of the 4 IIMs could start functioning with IIM Rohtak commencing its classes from June 2010 and IIM Ranchi commencing its classes from July 2010.
Foundation of IIM Rohtak was laid on 16 November 2009, thus becoming the first IIM in North India and the only IIM in National Capital Region. P. Rameshan, the then dean of academic administration at IIM Kozhikode was appointed as the first director of IIM Rohtak with IIM Lucknow serving as the mentor institution for the first three years. Ravi Kant, former Managing Director of Tata Motors, joined as the Chairman of the institute. An MoU was signed with Maharshi Dayanand University to serve as the transit campus for the first five years and first batch started in June 2010 with a strength of 50 students. Haryana government provided 200 acres of land for the permanent campus and the foundation stone was laid by Kapil Sibal.
The permanent campus of IIM Rohtak was initially planned to come up at Garnawati village near Rohtak, 82 kilometres from Delhi Airport. However, the land was covered under Forest Act and thus, clearance from Forest Ministry was mandatory for construction. As the construction was getting delayed, Haryana government transferred 200 acres of land from Sunaria village for the construction in 2011. The design of the campus has been assigned to Design Accord and classes for the 2017-18 batch are expected to start from the new campus. In 2017, IIM Rohtak announced its plans to setup a satellite campus in Gurgaon.
The institute is currently functioning from Maharshi Dayanand University's 800 acre campus, 75 kilometres from Delhi Airport. As per the MoU signed with MDU, all the infrastructure facilities of the university are available to IIM Rohtak too. The academic block is housed in the humanities block and consists of classrooms, library, computer centre, board rooms and seminar hall. The library (Knowledge Resource Centre) is a member of IIM Library Consortium and on March 2016, had a collection of more than 5000 books and had online subscription to 57 print journals/magazines and 35 e-databases. The buildings in the campus are connected through a fiber optic backbone network which is controlled by the computer centre (IT Resources Centre). The centre also maintains other services like e-mail server, online learning system and intranet portal. The institute has a Finance Lab which is equipped with 12 Bloomberg Terminals.
Other than academic block and hostels, the institute has access to Radhakrishnan auditorium and Tagore auditorium with a seating capacity for 1800 people. Most of the events are held here. The campus has facilities for cricket, football, basketball, volleyball, lawn tennis, badminton, athletics, swimming, squash, gymnasium, table tennis, carrom and chess. All the outdoor facilities are floodlit.
In 2012, IIM Rohtak became the fifth IIM to get accreditation from Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). The institute has partnered with Singapore Management University, California State University, Fullerton and Kelley School of Business, Indiana University for academic and researched collaboration. The agreements involve student exchange program, faculty exchange programme and joint academic structures for executives.
The Entrepreneurship Cell of the institute was setup in July 2014 to provide aspiring entrepreneurs incubation, mentorship, consulting and networking. It was setup by students of IIM Rohtak, some of whom have started their own ventures. The cell has signed an MoA with National Backward Classes Finance and Development Corporation for skill development of entrepreneurs from backward classes.
Bizdome Incubation Council was launched in 2015 as a separate entity to provide incubation to budding entrepreneurs. Ashutosh Garg, founder and chairman of Guardian Pharmacy joined as chairman of the council in 2016. The council was identified as one of the 18 Technology Business Incubators to be scaled up as per funding model of Department of Science and Technology as a part of Startup Action Plan. In 2017, Unisolar became the first startup by an IIM Rohtak alumnus to be incubated by Bizdome.
IIM Rohtak is an autonomous institution established as a registered society by Ministry of Human Resource Development governed by its own Board of Governors. The board consists of chairman, 4 industrialists, 2 representatives of Government of India, 2 representatives of Government of Haryana, one representative each of AICTE, JNU and AIMA in addition to one academician and director of the institute. The director of the institute is appointed by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet. Ravi Kant has been chairman of the board since its inception while P. Rameshan was the first director of the institute. Dheeraj Sharma joined as the second full time director in March 2017.
Faculty and research
Since the beginning of academic curriculum in 2010, faculty members of IIM Rohtak have published 160 papers in international journals and have presented more than 70 papers at international conferences. In a survey published in Elsevier on research productivity in management schools, IIM Rohtak was ranked at 7th position and 3 faculty members were among the top 5% most productive researchers in India.
Awards and rankings
|Business – India|
Recognised as an institute of excellence by MHRD, IIM Rohtak was awarded by DNA for innovations in teaching methodology in 2014. It was also awarded "Top Institute of India" by Competition Success Review twice in 2014 and 2015.
On account of many institutes misreporting their placement data, IIM Rohtak adopted Indian Placement Reporting Standards (IPRS) framework in 2016 becoming the second IIM to get its placement reports audited by CRISIL.
Post graduate programme
Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is a two-year full-time residential programme offered by IIM Rohtak and is the flagship programme of the institute. Post completion of first year, students are expected to undergo a summer internship of 8 weeks in a company or an organisation. In second year of the programme, students have to choose a major from Marketing, Finance, Operations, Human Resources, Information Technology, Strategy, Business Environment or General Management and a minor if desired. The institute has adopted case study based methodology developed by Harvard Business School.
Admission to the programme is done through Common Admission Test (CAT), which is jointly conducted by the IIMs in the month of November every year. Candidates are invited for written analysis and personal interview on the basis of performance in CAT. Final selection is based upon CAT score, past academic performance, work experience and performance in written analysis and personal interview.
Post graduate programme for executives
In 2015, IIM Rohtak launched post graduate programme for working executives with more than 3 years of experience. The programme was launched in collaboration with Hughes Global Education. At the end of the programme, students are either awarded Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Management (ePGDM) for two year programme or Executive Post Graduate Certificate in Management (ePGCM) for one year programme based on their preference. Admission is done through Management Aptitude Test conducted by IIM Rohtak and personal interview. Students with a valid GRE, GMAT or CAT score can apply on the basis of their respective score. 3 certificate programmes in Customer Service Management, Consumer Sales Management and Retail Supply Chain and Service Management were also launched along with the programme.
A three-month programme on entrepreneurship was launched in collaboration with Talentedge. The lectures are delivered over the internet. Students are awarded participation certificate at the end of the programme. A four-month long programme on Project Management was also launched along with this programme.
Fellowship Programme in Management (FPM) is a four-year doctoral programme started in 2013 to cater to the rising demand of researchers and academicians in the field of management. Admission is done on the basis of marks scored by a candidate in CAT, GMAT, GRE, JRF or GATE. The specialisations offered are Business Environment, Finance, General Management, Human Resources, Information Technology, Marketing, Operations and Strategy. Starting 2016, interdisciplinary specialisation was available in Retail Management and Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
Professional development programmes
Management Development Programmes (MDP) are professional development programmes of very short duration, generally lasting between 3 to 5 days. They are classified into Open MDP and Sponsored MDP programmes. Open programmes are designed for a specific area of specialisation where Sponsored programmes are designed to suit the specific needs of an organisation. Around 15 MDPs are conducted every year. Faculty Development Programmes (FDP) are aimed at improving the professional expertise of faculty members of participating business schools.
Clubs and committees
IIM Rohtak has a total of 13 committees and 10 clubs. Committees are institute sponsored student societies responsible for supporting the administration in carrying out non-academic activities related to the institute. Public Relations Cell is responsible for promotion and brand building. In 2016, it was awarded at Social Media for Empowerment Awards for "building goodwill and creating positive word of mouth without biases, comparisons and self-proclamation." Placement Committee for carrying out placement activities. It publishes the institute placement report annually. Alumni Committee is responsible for organising alumni engagement activities and Entrepreneurship Cell is responsible for promoting entrepreneurship and organising related activities.
Other committees are Academic Committee for academic matters, Cultural Committee for cultural activities, Elections & Auditing Committee for auditing and conducting elections, Hospitality Committee for managing student mess, Industrial Relations & Interaction Cell for corporate engagement, IT Committee for IT related matters, Sports Committee for sports activities, Student Council for coordination between clubs and Training Cell for skill development.
Clubs are self sponsored special interest groups focusing on a specific area of knowledge or interest. The different clubs are FI Club (finance), Humane-R Club (human resources), ITernity Club (information technology), Marque Club (marketing), Supply Chain & Operations Management Club, Strategy & Consulting Club, exploR Club (film and photography), InQUIZire Club (quizzing), Social Development Projects Cell and Voice Club (public speaking).
ManCon is the annual management conclave organised by IIM Rohtak since 2011. Organised in November every year by Industrial Relations & Interaction Cell, the two-day event involves panel discussions on various business related topics. Udaan is the annual entrepreneurship summit organised by Entrepreneurship Cell of IIM Rohtak. It involves keynote speeches, panel discussions and Ignitus, a business plan competition. exploR Club organised the first edition of its Film Summit in 2016. It involved keynote speeches on various aspects of filmmaking such as direction, screenwriting, marketing, etc. IIM Rohtak also organises a lot of annual conventions such as HR Summit, CXO Summit and Outstation Conclave.
Infusion is the annual cultural, management and sports festival. The two-day event consists of inter-college case study competitions, Model United Nations, Mock Stock, quizzes and various other sports and cultural events.
IIM Rohtak organises a mini marathon every year on the theme India for Girl Child to raise awareness about gender equality. Started in 2011, it consists of three events: 10 kilometres marathon for men, 5 kilometres marathon for women and 3 kilometres for children. The first edition of the mini marathon saw a participation of more than 2000 people. A flash mob is also organised every year to promote different causes.
Social Development Projects Cell is responsible for taking social initiatives through its three arms; Every Child In School (ECIS), Sparsh and Swabhav. ECIS was started by Venkatesh Murthy, a professor at IIM Rohtak to provide elementary education to ragpickers in Rohtak. The students, hailing from Assam and West Bengal are taught Hindi and other basic concepts so as to make them eligible for admission in government schools. An evening school was started by students of IIM Rohtak in Sunaria village to teach these ragpickers.
Sparsh organises various awareness activities throughout the year such as career counseling and cleanliness campaigns in government schools. Swabhav was an initiative taken by students through which daughters of auto rickshaw drivers in Rohtak were provided school fees in exchange of advertisement being displayed on their vehicles.
- Government of India, Planning Commission (2008). "Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007–2012) Social Sector" (PDF). II: 46. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- H, S; S, C; K, R (27 August 2009). "Establishment of seven New Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs)". Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Nanda, Prashant K. (20 May 2010). "Only two of four new IIMs to start this year". Mint. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Universe, MBA. "IIM Rohtak Inaugurated - Tata Motor VC Ravi Kant to Chair". PressExposure. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "IIM-Rohtak celebrates 7th foundation day". The Tribune. TNS. 16 November 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Parashar, Preeti (27 Apr 2010). "IIM Rohtak to start classes from July". The Financial Express. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Correspondent, Special (5 October 2010). "Appointed director of IIM Rohtak". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Reporter, BS (24 March 2011). "IIM-L confers diplomas on 572 students". Business Standard. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak's first batch gets average salary of Rs 12.22 lakh". The Economic Times. PTI. 17 March 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "IIM-Rohtak building stuck on foundation stone". The Weekly Times of India. 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Deswal, Deepender (5 January 2012). "IIM-Rohtak gets new site". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Rothak, IIM (1 Apr 2016). "Annual Report 2015-16" (PDF): 97. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "सरकारी कर्मियों को प्रशिक्षित करेगा आईआईएम, 50 सीटें और बढ़ेंगी". Dainik Bhaskar. Bhaskar News. 19 March 2017. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "History of IIM Consortium". library.iima.ac.in. Vikram Sarabhai Library, IIMA. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Print subscriptions" (PDF). www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "E-Resources" (PDF). www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Advanced Finance Lab equipped with Bloomberg Terminals inaugurated in IIM Rohtak". MBA Rendezvous. 6 October 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Tagore Auditorium". www.uietmdu.com. MDU. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Outdoor Games". www.mdurohtak.ac.in. Maharshi Dayanand University. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Indoor Games". www.mdurohtak.ac.in. Maharshi Dayanand University. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Partnership". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak inaugurates entrepreneurship cell". Business Line. 6 July 2014. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Pandita, Shivani (26 January 2017). "This startup is India's first AI-driven Health Network- HealthMir". Know Startup. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Gupta, Soumya (24 October 2016). "Chalk N Dust: Aims to Develop a Learning App and Increase Presence in Each State". BW Disrupt. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "MoA with Indian Institute of Management Rohtak". www.nbcfdc.gov.in. NBCFDC. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak Inaugurates Incubation Centre at Udaan- 2015". College Dekho. 14 December 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Ashutosh Garg". www.entrepreneur.com. Entrepreneur Media. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- Inc42, Team (16 January 2016). "Everything You Need To Know About PM Modi's Startup Action Plan". Inc42. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- Singh, Sat (11 February 2017). "IIM Rohtak student skips placement for own start-up". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs)". www.mhrd.gov.in. Ministry of HRD. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Board of Governors". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Govt. is following the "Search-cum-selection" process notified on the 15th March, 2002 for appointments of directors of the IIMs". Press Information Bureau. Department of Higher Education, Ministry of HRD. 8 August 2007. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "IIMA profs to helm IIMB, IIM Rohtak". Ahmedabad Mirror. 10 February 2017. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Publications". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Papers presented in conferences". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- K. Sahoo, Biresh; Singh, Ramadhar; Mishra, Bineet; Sankaran, Krithiga (11 February 2016). "Research productivity in management schools of India during 1968-2015: A directional benefit-of-doubt model analysis". Elsevier: 17, 18, 20. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2016". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "Top Business Colleges in India 2017". Careers360.
- "Innovative b-school awards winners 2014". www.bschoolaffaire.com. B-School Affaire. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Competition Success Review Award for IIM Rohtak". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Watch out: B-schools apparently inflating salary figures". Firstpost. 21 December 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Indian Placement Reporting Standards". www.iimahd.ernet.in. IIM Ahmedabad. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- Basu, Sreeradha (24 January 2017). "IIM Rohtak completes summer placements, average stipends rise by 12%". The Economic Times. ET Bureau. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "PGP Courses". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- Awasthi, Soumiya (1 December 2016). "IIM Rohtak announces admission criteria 2017-19; 40% weightage to CAT". Info Edge India. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak announces launch of Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Management (ePGDM) with Hughes Global Education India". Financial Express. 22 April 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak launches ePGDM; 2 Year Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Management on IOL platform". MBA Universe. 26 August 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak". www.hugheseducation.com. Hughes Global Education. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- Sharma Sebastian, Kritika (5 June 2016). "IIM Rohtak to provide online lessons in entrepreneurship". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Executive Programme in Project Management". www.talentedge.in. Talentedge. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak announces admission to FPM 2016; apply before January 30". MBA Universe. 20 October 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Rohtak offers Fellow Programme in Management 2015". India Today. 29 October 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "About Management Development Programme". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "About Faculty Development Programme". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Social Media for Entertainment Winners 2016: Public Relations". www.sm4e.org. Digital Empowerment Foundation. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Mehra, Chetna (12 February 2014). "While hiring sizzles, it's a struggle for newer IIMs". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "अलुमिनाति में पहुंचे तो फिर याद आए कॉलेज के सुहाने पल". Dainik Bhaskar. Bhaskar News Network. 21 January 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "बॉलीवुड में पायरेसी सबसे बड़ी चुनौती". Amar Ujala. 1 August 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Deswal, Deepender (25 November 2012). "IIM Rohtak organizes 2nd 'India for the Girl Child' mini-marathon". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Students Clubs and Committees at IIM Rohtak". www.iimrohtak.ac.in. IIM Rohtak. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "IIM-Rohtak holds conclave on ways to turn India into economic powerhouse". The Indian Express. Express News Service. 5 November 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Mukherjee, Bhaskar (2 October 2013). "Management conclave at IIM-Rohtak to be held on Saturday, Sunday". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak organizes Entrepreneurship Summit, Udaan 2015; inaugurates Incubation Centre". MBA Universe. 13 December 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Deswal, Deepender (16 August 2012). "IIM Rohtak to organise human resources summit on managing new generation employees". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Teri, Deeksha (19 September 2016). "That innovative edge". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak organises management conclave in Mumbai". Business Line. 11 May 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Singh, Sat (22 January 2017). "IIM-Rohtak's annual two days fest culminates today". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Ahlawat, Bijendra (30 January 2011). "Rohtak IIM to fund girls' education". The Tribune. Tribune News Service. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak to organise marathon to campaign for girl child". Business Standard. Press Trust of India. 15 November 2012. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Patra, Pratyush (16 January 2016). "Take a break, say these IIM students". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "आईआईएम टेड-एक्स में शनिवार को नए क्षेत्र की चुनौतियों पर होगा मंथन". Dainik Bhaskar. Bhaskar News Network. 9 September 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Abraham, Bobins (18 December 2015). "Meet Venkatesh Murthy, The IIM Rohtak Professor Who Also Teaches Street Children". Times Internet Limited. Indiatimes. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Das Gupta, Sohini; Nunes, Averil (30 December 2015). "Here are 15 projects helping educate needy children". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "आईआईएम की टीम ने विद्यार्थियों को दिए सही करियर चुनने के टिप्स". Dainik Bhaskar. Bhaskar News Network. 23 October 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "IIM Rohtak holds cleanliness campaign in Haryana schools". The Hindu. 30 September 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "IIM-R moots business pact to fund education for girls". The Times of India. TNN. 18 February 2012. Retrieved 18 April 2017.