|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 1 Overview
- 2 History and evolution
- 3 Publishers
- 4 Specialized advertising agencies of inflight magazines
- 5 List of inflight magazines
- 6 Similar magazines
- 7 References
Many airline companies produce inflight magazines to provide details about their fleet, as well as articles about destinations or other interesting information.
Inflight publishing is an unusual niche in the magazine world. Airline titles have minimal distribution costs, and readership figures come from existing passenger traffic. Most airlines use external publishers to produce their magazines, and Ink is currently[when?] the world's leading company in this sector.
More than 80% of passengers read the magazines airlines place in front of them, and readers average around 30 minutes a flight with the magazines, according to Arbitron. Despite the challenges facing the publishing industry, this is a healthy sector, and on a large scale, inflight magazines have suffered less than magazines overall.
History and evolution
The first inflight magazine was that of Pan American World Airways, whereas the longest running inflight magazine is KLM's Holland Herald, first published in January 1966. The inflight market has grown in recent years, and there are currently over 150 inflight magazines titles.
Among specialized publishers are
- Maxposure Media Group, which produces Shubh Yatra magazine for Air India, Spice Route magazine for SpiceJet Airlines, Vistara Magazine for Vistara Airline (JV between Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines), GoGetter magazine, Inflight magazine for GoAir India, Trujetter magazine, inflight magazine for TruJet Airlines, Fly Smiles, Inflight magazine of Air Pegasus, Gulf Life magazine for Gulf Air out of Bahrain, Nawras magazine for Air Arabia in Sharjah and Morocco, Saudi Gulf magazine for Saudigulf Airlines in Saudi Arabia. It has its own operation in India, Bangladesh, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, South Africa and Singapore and sales network in over 20 countries. It is the largest custom & Inflight magazine publisher in Asia. It publishes over in over 20 languages and offers strong Mobile App, Digital (Website) and Social media platforms to it's aviation clients.
- Ink is a global media company specialising in content and advertising for the travel sector, headquartered in London. The company works with over 27 airline, rail and hotel partners worldwide (including American Airlines, United, easyJet, Iberia, and Norwegian), with offices in London, Atlanta, Dallas, New York, Miami, São Paulo and Singapore. Ink produces over 25 inflight magazines in 18 languages, and airline mobile apps for their travel partners. Ink offers advertising across magazines, and passenger travel documents (print-at home boarding passes, booking confirmation emails), in airline mobile apps and online properties. Their media channels reach over 783 million passengers every year.
- GroupSixPro, producing KAConfidential | The Exclusive In-flight Magazine of KaiserAir
- ExiGent Magazine is the official and exclusive in-flight magazine of several airlines specialized in business jets throughout Europe and Africa. ExiGent Magazine also is the corporate magazine of one of the largest luxury real estate agencies. The company works actually with 6 airline & real estate agency partners. (including Afrijet Business Service, Dassault Falcon Service, Jet Net Alliance, Helipass, Coldwell Banker France et Monaco and Sparfell and Partners). ExiGent Magazine produces 6 inflight magazines in 2 languages, French and English.
- Spafax, a multinational editorial and content marketing company based in London, Montréal and Toronto with more than 70 clients around the world. Its 13 offices worldwide - London, Toronto, Montréal, Santiago, Lima, Dubai, Frankfurt, Madrid, Kuala Lumpur, Miami, New York, California, Singapor - produce magazines and IFE products for clients such as British Airways, Air Canada, LAN, and Malaysia Airlines.
- Spenta Multimedia: (Jetwings Docmestic and International) JetWings Domestic, the in-flight monthly magazine of Jet Airways – India’s largest airline – offers its readers in-depth knowledge of India. It not only highlights travel, but also unique cultural traditions, music, art, cinema, food and contemporary design. Each feature tells a story through interesting, offbeat angles, that reveal something unusual about a destination beyond what guidebooks or newspaper supplements offer. It has a Print Run of 3,25,000 copies per month and a Readership of nearly 16,00,000 every month. The quality of JETWINGS can be gauged by the fact that the magazine was adjudged second runner -up in the in-flight magazine category across the world at the 18th annual Avion Awards held in Sept 2006 by the World Airline Association ( WAEA ) at Florida, USA - a first for any in- flight magazine published from India. JetWings International is a sure-fire method of getting the attention of globe-trotting consumers, expanding businesses globally and making an impact in newmarkets, but at the same time exploring the world and enjoying life. For the past six years, JetWings International has grown in popularity among readers and advertisers alike. Currently, JetWings International enjoys a monthly readership of over 6,00,000 passengers aboard Jet Airways flights to over 24 international destinations, South Africa being the 24th.
- Stream, producing around 10 inflight magazines, including Flybe and CityJet
- Agency Fish, whose main client is Qatar Airways, Srilankan Airlines and Garuda Indonesia
- Motivate Publishing, which produces the inflight magazine for Emirates Airline, Open Skies, and Emirates' business- and first-class magazine, Portfolio
- Cedar Communications, which produces British Airways High Life, First Life and Business Life
- G+J Corporate Editors, which produces Lufthansa Magazin, Lufthansa Woman's world, Lufthansa exclusive and Holland Herald
- Lagardere France, whose main airline client is Air France
- Subcontinental Media Group, whose main airline clients are Biman Bangladesh Airlines from Bangladesh and Fly Africa Airlines in South Africa. It publishes Bihanga Magazine for Biman and Flyafrica.com Magazine for Fly Africa. It has own offices in Dhaka (Bangladesh), New Delhi, Kolkata in India and Johannesburg in South Africa. SMG has a sales network in over 15 key countries in Europe, Asia, and the Americas.
- Bentang Media Nusantara, whose main airline clients are Lion Air, Wings Air and Batik Air
Specialized advertising agencies of inflight magazines
- giO media (inflight specialist for Benelux, Cyprus and Middle East markets), representing, recommending and centralizing all aspects of Inflight media. It is working for over 75% of all the airlines worldwide, such as British Airways, Air France, KLM, United-Continental, Emirates and Virgin Australia
- IMM International (inflight marketing bureau for France, Switzerland, UK, Italy and China markets), representing, recommending and centralizing all aspects of Inflight media. It works with 150 airlines worldwide (more than 200 magazines)
- The Media Ant, representing, recommending and centralizing all aspects of a few airlines. It works with 3 of 12 of the airlines in the country, such as IndiGo, Jetwings and Air Costa.
List of inflight magazines
- Air Canada : enRoute
- Air North : Yukon, North of Ordinary
- Air Transat: Atmosphere
- Porter Airlines : re:Porter
- Westjet : UP!
- Aeroméxico : Aire and Accent
- Mexicana de Aviación : VUELO (defunct)
- TAESA : Caminos (defunct)
- vivaAerobus : enVIVA
- Volaris : V de Volaris
- AirTran Airways : GO (defunct)
- Alaska Airlines : Alaska Airlines Magazine
- American Airlines : American Way, CL (Celebrated Living) - business class / NEXOS - Latin American flights
- Continental Airlines : ContinentalPacific (defunct)
- Delta Air Lines : Sky Magazine
- Hawaiian Airlines : Hana Hou!
- KaiserAir Inc. : KA Confidential
- Northwest Airlines : World Traveler (defunct)
- Pan American World Airways : Clipper Magazine (defunct)
- SeaPort Airlines : Cloud 9 magazine
- Southwest Airlines : Southwest Airlines Spirit magazine
- Spirit Airlines : Skylights
- United Airlines : Hemispheres, Rhapsody - first and business class magazines
- Aerolíneas Argentinas : Aerolineas Argentinas Magazine (formerly, Alta), Cielos Argentinos
- Aeroméxico : escala
- Grupo TACA : EXPLORE Magazine (defunct)
- LAN Airlines : in, inWines, inPremiere
- LATAM Airlines : "Vamos / LATAM"
- Varig : Ícaro (defunct)
- Adria Airways : Adria Airways Inflight Magazine
- Aegean Airlines : Blue
- Aer Lingus : Cara
- Aeroflot : Aeroflot, Aeroflot Premium, Aeroflot Style
- airBaltic: Baltic Outlook
- Air Berlin : Air Berlin Magazine
- Air France : Air France Magazine (Bon Voyage) , "Air France Madame" - business class,
- Air Moldova : Altitude Inflight Magazine
- AirClub : AirClub Magazine
- Alitalia : Ulisse
- Blue Panorama Airlines : Mondo in Blue
- bmi : Voyager
- bmibaby : yeahbaby (defunct)
- British Airways : High Life, Business Life - business class, First Life - first class
- Brussels Airlines : b.there!, b.spirit! - long haul
- Croatia Airlines: Croatia Magazine
- easyJet : easyJet Traveller
- Finnair : Blue Wings
- Flybe Group PLC : Business Uncovered
- Germanwings : GW
- Iberia : Ronda,Excelente
- Jet2.com: JetAway Magazine
- Jet Airlines; Jetwings Domestic and Jetwings International 
- KLM : Holland Herald
- LOT Polish Airlines: Kaleidoscope
- Lufthansa : Lufthansa Magazin, Woman's World, Lufthansa Exclusiv
- Martinair : M
- Meridiana: Atmosphere
- Monarch Airlines : Passport
- Nordstar : Летать легко (Easy to fly)
- Norwegian Air Shuttle : n Magazine
- PrivatAir : PrivatAir Magazine
- Ryanair : Let's Go Magazine
- S7 Airlines : S7 Magazine
- Scandinavian Airlines System : Scandinavian Traveler
- TAP Air Portugal : UP
- TAROM : Insight, SkyLady
- Thomas Cook : Thomas Cook Travel Magazine, Thomas Cook Emporium
- Thomson Airways : Inflight
- Turkish Airlines : Sky Life
- Wind Jet : Check-Out
- Wizz Air : Wizz Magazine
- WOW air : WOW magazine 
- Air Algérie : Tassili
- Air Arabia Maroc: Nawras (Moroccan Edition)
- Arik Air : Wings
- Egyptair : Horus
- Ethiopian Airlines : selamta
- Fly Africa : Fly Africa Magazine
- South African Airways : sawubona
- TAAG : Austral
- LAM : Índico
- ANA : Wingspan
- Air China: Wings of China
- Air India : Shubh Yatra Magazine
- Air Macau : Air Macau Magazine
- Air Mandalay : Air Mandalay - Golden Flight
- AirAsia : Travel 3Sixty
- Bangkok Airways : Fah Thai
- Batik Air : Batik
- Biman Bangladesh Airlines : Bihanga
- Cathay Pacific : Discovery
- Cebu Pacific : Smile
- China Airlines : Dynasty
- China Southern Airlines: NiHao (English), Gateway 南方航空 (Chinese), Elite (Chinese)
- Citilink : Linked
- EVA Air : enVoyage
- Garuda Indonesia : Colours
- GoAir: GoGetter magazine
- Kalstar Aviation : Kalstar
- Korean Air : Morning Calm, Beyond
- Japan Airlines : Skyward
- Jetstar Airways : Jetstar Asia / Jetstar Japan
- Lion Air : Lionmag
- Malaysia Airlines : Going Places
- Malindo Air : Malindomag
- Nok Air : Jibjib
- Pakistan International Airlines : Humsafar
- PAL Express : La Isla
- Philippine Airlines : Mabuhay Magazine
- Singapore Airlines : SilverKris
- SpiceJet : SpiceRoute
- SriLankan Airlines : Serendib
- Sriwijaya Air : Sriwijaya
- Thai Airways International : Sawasdee
- Thai Smile : WE Smile
- Tiger Airways : Tiger Tales Asia / Tiger Tales Philippines
- TruJet: Trujetter magazine
- TurboJet : Horizon
- Vietnam Airlines : Heritage (monthly), Heritage Fashion (monthly starting 15th day of the month), Heritage Japan (quarterly)
- Vistara: Vistara Magazine
- Wings Air : Wings
- Zest Airways : Zest Magazine
- Air Arabia: Nawras
- El Al : Atmosphere
- Emirates : Open Skies and Portfolio for business and first class.
- Etihad Airways : Etihad Inflight and Aspire
- flynas : flynas magazine
- Gulf Air : Gulf Life
- Jazeera Airways : J Magazine
- Kuwait Airways : Al-Buraq
- Oman Air : Wings of Oman
- Qatar Airways : Oryx
- Royal Jordanian : Royal Wings
- Safi Airways : Safi Airways Inflight Magazine
- Saudi Airlines : Ahlan Wasahlan
- Saudigulf: Saudi Gulf magazine
- Air New Zealand : Kia Ora
- Jetstar Airways : Jetstar Australia
- Qantas : QANTAS The Australian Way
- Tiger Airways: Tiger Tales Australia
- Virgin Australia : Voyeur
- Daniel Michaels (27 November 2009). "Magazine publisher finds profit in airlines". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Holland Herald Media Buyers Handbook 2012" (PDF). Holland Herald. 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
- "Holland Herald". ink-live.com.
- "Inflight Connectivity Growing but Risks Remain » APEX Editor's Blog". Blog.apex.aero. 2011-08-01. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
- "The In-Flight Magazine Quick Reference PDF". Inflight-magazines.com. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
- "11 ways airlines are deploying the Apple iPad". airlinetrends.com. 8 August 2011.
- "Welcome to Spenta Multimedia". www.spentamultimedia.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "giO media". Gio-media.nl. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
- "Inflight Advertising & Inflight Media Marketing". IMM International. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
- "The Media Ant: The one-stop shop for information on non-traditional media platforms". Afaqs. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "American Way Inflight Magazine".
- "Nexos Inflight Magazine".
- "Hemispheres Inflight Magazine".
- "Rhapsody Inflight Magazine".
- http://magazines.airfrance.com/. Missing or empty
- "AirClub Inflight Magazine".
- "b.there Magazine".
- "b.spirit Magazine".
- "Traveller — Inflight Magazine of easyJet".
- "Germanwings Inflight Magazine".
- "Ronda Inflight Magazine".
- "Excelente Inflight Magazine".
- "Jet2 Inflight Magazine".
- "Book Air Tickets - International & Domestic Flights - Jet Airways". www.jetairways.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Welcome to Spenta Multimedia". www.spentamultimedia.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Monarch Passport". Monarch. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "Norwegian Inflight Magazine".
- "PrivatAir Inflight Magazine".
- "RyanAir Inflight Magazine".
- "Thomas Cook Inflight Magazine".
- "Thomas Cook Emporium Magazine".
- "Inflight Magazine of Wizz Air".
- > "Inflight magazine of WOW air".
- "Bangkok Airways Inflight Magazine".
- "Smile Magazine for Cebu Pacific".
- "Jetstar Asia Inflight Magazine".
- "Jetstar Japan Inflight Magazine".
- "Tiger Tales Asia Inflight Magazine".
- "Tiger Tales Philippines Inflight Magazine".
- "In-Flight Entertainment - Atmophere Magazine". El Al Israel Airlines. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Flynas Inflight Magazine".
- "Jetstar Australia Inflight Magazine".
- "Tiger Tales Australia Inflight Magazine".