At the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival in Ontario, Canada
July 12, 1970 |
Namhansanseong-myeon, Gwangju County, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea
(now Seongnam, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea)
|Occupation||Actor, model, singer|
|Revised Romanization||I Byeongheon|
Lee Byung-hun (Korean: 이병헌; born July 12, 1970 ) is a South Korean actor, singer and model. He has received critical acclaim for his work in a wide range of genres, most notably Joint Security Area (2000); A Bittersweet Life (2005); The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008); the television series Iris (2009); I Saw the Devil (2010); and Masquerade (2012). His critically acclaimed film Inside Men (2015) won him the Best Actor prize in three prestigious award ceremonies: 52nd Baeksang Art Awards, 37th Blue Dragon Awards and 53rd Grand Bell Awards—a feat that was unbroken since 2004. Lee has five films—Joint Security Area, The Good, the Bad, the Weird, Masquerade, Inside Men and Master—on the list of highest-grossing films in South Korea.
In the United States, he is known for portraying Storm Shadow in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) and its sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013), and starring alongside Bruce Willis in Red 2 (2013). He portrayed T-1000 in Terminator Genisys (2015) and Billy Rocks, a knife-wielding gunslinger, in The Magnificent Seven (2016). Lee was the first South Korean actor to present an Oscar at the annual Academy Awards in Los Angeles and is a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Lee and Ahn Sung-ki were the first South Korean actors to imprint their hand and foot prints on the forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles.
Lee's career began in 1991 after a KBS talent audition and making his debut in the television drama Asphalt My Hometown. Lee drew attention with the action drama Asphalt Man and romantic film The Harmonium in My Memory, but it was only in 2000 that he made his big breakthrough with Park Chan-wook's Joint Security Area. The film broke the box office record and became the highest grossing Korean film at the time. Lee's role as a border-guard soldier won him the Best Actor award at the Busan Film Critics Awards.
In 2001, his popularity continued to climb when he starred in melodramas Beautiful Days and Bungee Jumping of Their Own. In 2003, he received the Grand Prize at the SBS Drama Awards and Best Actor at the Baeksang Arts Awards for his role in the poker drama All In.
From 2005, he focused on film, earning critical acclaim for his performance in A Bittersweet Life directed by Kim Jee-woon, which was screened out of competition at the Cannes Film Festival. Lee was nominated for Best Actor at the Blue Dragon Film Awards and Grand Bell Awards, and won at the Chunsa Film Art Awards, Baeksang Arts Awards and the Korean Association of Film Critics Awards.
He reunited with director Kim Jee-woon in the "kimchi western" The Good, the Bad, the Weird, taking on his first villain role. The film was screened out of competition at the Cannes Film Festival. The following year, he appeared in I Come with the Rain opposite American actor Josh Hartnett and Japanese actor Takuya Kimura. He then made his Hollywood debut as Storm Shadow in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, also starring Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller.
Lee returned to television in late 2009 in the espionage action thriller Iris as a secret agent who finds himself at the center of an international conspiracy. It was one of the most expensive shows ever produced with filming locations in Hungary, Japan as well as South Korea. It became one of the highest rated dramas of 2009 and his performance earned him the Grand Prize at the KBS Drama Awards and Best Actor at the Baeksang Arts Awards.
In 2010, Lee starred in I Saw the Devil with Choi Min-sik, his third collaboration with Kim Jee-woon, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. His portrayal of the intelligence agent won him the Grand Prize at the Baeksang Arts Awards.
In 2012, Lee played dual roles in the lavish period drama Masquerade. The film was a box office hit, becoming the 7th film in Korean history to surpass 10 million admissions. Lee won Best Actor at the Grand Bell Awards for his performance. On June 23, 2012, Lee, along with Ahn Sung-ki, became the first Korean actors to leave their hand and foot prints on the forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles. He was recognized as an emerging star in Hollywood for his role of Storm Shadow in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and its sequel, G.I. Joe: Retaliation.
In 2013, he reprised his role as Storm Shadow in G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Lee then co-starred in the American film RED 2 (2013), the sequel to the 2010 action-comedy hit RED, alongside Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Helen Mirren, and John Malkovich.
In 2015, Lee played a T-1000 in Terminator Genisys opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger. He then starred in Woo Min-ho's political crime thriller Inside Men, which became the top grossing R-rated movie of all-time at the Korean Box Office. Touted as the "star" of the film, Lee received critical acclaim and swept Best Actor awards at various film awards ceremonies.
Lee co-starred as knife-wielding gunslinger Billy Rocks in The Magnificent Seven (2016) with Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, and Ethan Hawke. On 28 February 2016, Lee attended the 88th Academy Awards and presented the "Best Foreign Language Film" award with actress Sofia Vergara. He was the first Korean actor to present an award at the Oscars.
Lee Byung-hun is noted in the video game industry for providing his likeness for the main character, Wayne Holden, in the 2006 game Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, for the Xbox 360, PS3 & PC.
Lee was born in Seoul, South Korea. He has a younger sister, Lee Eun-hee, who was Miss Korea in 1996. He graduated from Hanyang University with a major in French Literature and the Graduate School of Chung-Ang University with a major in Theater and Cinematography.
Lee married actress Lee Min-jung on August 10, 2013 at the Grand Hyatt Seoul. The couple had briefly dated in 2006, then resumed their relationship in 2012. Lee's wife gave birth to their first child, a son, Lee Joon-hoo, on March 31, 2015.
In September 2014, Lee was embroiled in a legal battle with two women, singer Dahee from K-pop girl group GLAM and model Lee Ji-yeon, who blackmailed him for large sums of money in exchange for not revealing a compromising video of the actor Lee making sexual jokes. The two women were sentenced to a year and a year and two months in jail respectively, both suspended for two years.
|Year||Korean Title||English Title||Role||Notes|
|1995||누가 나를 미치게 하는가||Who Drives Me Crazy||Lee Jong-du|
|런 어웨이||Runaway||Lee Dong-ho|
|1996||그들만의 세상||Kill the Love||Love|
|1997||지상만가||Elegy of the Earth||Park Jong-man|
|1999||내마음의 풍금||The Harmonium in My Memory||Kang Soo-ha|
|2000||공동경비구역 JSA||Joint Security Area||Lee Soo-hyeok|
|2001||번지점프를 하다||Bungee Jumping of Their Own||Seo In-woo|
|2002||마리이야기||My Beautiful Girl, Mari||Adult Nam-woo||voice|
|2004||누구나 비밀은 있다||Everybody Has Secrets||Choi Su-hyeon|
|쓰리, 몬스터||Three Extremes - segment "Cut"||Ryu Ji-ho||short film|
|2005||달콤한 인생||A Bittersweet Life||Kim Sun-woo|
|2006||그해 여름||Once in a Summer||Yun Suk-young|
|2008||좋은 놈, 나쁜 놈, 이상한 놈||The Good, the Bad, the Weird||Park Chang-yi, the Bad|
|2009||나는 비와 함께 간다||I Come with the Rain||Su Dongpo|
|지.아이.조 : 전쟁의 서막||G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra||Storm Shadow|
|아이리스 : 더 무비||Iris: The Movie||Kim Hyun-jun|
|악마를 보았다||I Saw the Devil||Kim Soo-hyeon|
|2012||광해, 왕이 된 남자||Masquerade||King Gwanghae / Beggar Ha-sun|
|2013||지.아이.조 2||G.I. Joe: Retaliation||Storm Shadow|
|레드: 더 레전드||RED 2||Han Cho-bai|
|2015||터미네이터: 제네시스||Terminator Genisys||Cop / T-1000|
|협녀, 칼의 기억||Memories of the Sword||Deok-gi / Song Yoo-baek|
|내부자들||Inside Men||Ahn Sang-goo|
|밀정||The Age of Shadows||Jeong Chae-san ||cameo|
|매그니피센트 7||The Magnificent Seven||Billy Rocks|
|2017||싱글라이더||Single Rider||Kang Jae-hoon|
|그것만이 내 세상||My World Only||Jo Ha||filming|
|Year||Korean Title||English Title||Role|
|1991||아스팔트 내 고향||Asphalt My Hometown||Jinwoo|
|바람꽃은 시들지 않는다||Flower That Never Wilt|
|1992||해뜰날||Days of Sunshine||Choi Hyung-man|
|이별 없는 아침||Dawn|
|내일은 사랑||Tomorrow Love||Shin Bum-soo|
|1993||살아남은 자의 슬픔||The Sorrow of the Survivor||Yi Ja-myung|
|1994||사랑의 향기||The Fragrance of Love||Kim Jun-ho|
|1995||아스팔트 사나이||Asphalt Man||Kang Dong-joon|
|바람의 아들||Son of Wind||Chang Hong-pyo|
|1997||아름다운 그녀||Beautiful My Lady||Hwang Jun-ho|
|나는 원한다||I Do|
|1998||백야 3.98||White Nights 3.98||Min Gyeong-bin|
|1999||해피투게더||Happy Together||Suh Tae-poong|
|해바라기||Love Story - Story 1: Sunflower||Tae-sung|
|세리가 돌아왔다||Sally is Back|
|아름다운 날들||Beautiful Days||Lee Min-chul|
|2003||올인||All In||Kim In-ha|
|2011||외교관 쿠로다 코사쿠||Diplomat Kosaku Kuroda||John (cameo)|
|2006||Lost Planet: Extreme Condition||Wayne Holden|
|2013||CGV 4DX trailer||Himself|
|1999||Lee Byung Hun - To Me|
|"Endless Road"||Iris OST|
Awards and nominations
- "Lee Byung-hun to present at Oscars". The Korea Times. January 24, 2016.
- "Actor Lee Byung-hun, 3 other Koreans named new Academy members". The Korea Times. June 30, 2016.
- "Lee Byung Hun - Man of the World". Yesasia. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- "Joint Security Area". Easternkicks.com. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- "List of Pusan Film Critics Awards". Korean Drama Guide. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- "Baeksang Art Awards (2006)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "Festival de Cannes: A Bittersweet Life". Cannes Film Festival. Archived from the original on 2012-10-11. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-05-25. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "Festival de Cannes: The Good, the Bad, and the Weird". Cannes Film Festival. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-12-21. Retrieved 2007-12-21.
- "Lee Byung-hun in Expensive Spy Drama Series IRIS". Beyond Hollywood.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-06. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- [dead link]
- Lee, Rachel (October 21, 2012). "'Masquerade,' 7th film to reach 10 million viewers". The Korea Times.
- "'Gwanghae' sweeps Korean Oscars". The Korea Times. October 31, 2012. Archived from the original on 2015-07-14.
- "Ahn Sung-ki, Lee Byung-hun to Leave Handprints in Hollywood". Chosun Ilbo. April 26, 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Park Soo-mee. "Lee Byung-hun to Reprise 'G.I. Joe' Role". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "'G.I. Joe 2′ Gets a Release Date; But Will We See The Cast Return?". The Film Stage.
- Chitwood, Adam. "Catherine Zeta-Jones and Byung-Hun Lee Join Bruce Willis and More in RED 2". Collider. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- Schwartz, Terri (2012-05-11). "'Red 2' Adds Catherine Zeta-Jones, Byung-Hun Lee". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "'G.I. Joe,' 'Mad Men' and 'House of Cards' Actors Join 'Terminator: Genesis' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. March 31, 2014. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Woo Min-ho's 'Inside Men' is a Masterpiece, Lee Byung-hun Is Back On Form". Asian Movie Pulse.
- "Actor Lee Byung-hun Takes on Corruption in 'Inside Men'". NBC News.
- "Lee Byung-hun, Sumi Jo attend Academy Awards". Korea Herald. 2016-02-29. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- "Trash: BH Shop - Sinsadong Garosu-gil Road Branch (신사동 가로수길-이병헌 스타샵) | Official Korea Tourism Organization". Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- Mudge, James. "Lee Byung Hun - Man of the World". Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Byung-Hun Lee Talks Storm Shadow and "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "Q&A - G.I. Joe Star Byung-hun Lee Explains Storm Shadow's Martial Arts Style". ACMTV. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Lee, Eun-ah (10 August 2013). "Lee Byung-hun, Rhee Min-jung Walk Down the Aisle Today". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- Cho Chung-un, Lee Woo-young (19 August 2012). "Top actors say they are dating". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Choi, He-suk. "Lee Min-jung gives birth to son". The Korea Herald. The Korea Herald. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Lee Byung-hun's blackmailers get suspended jail terms". The Korea Herald/Yonhap News. The Korea Herald. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Lee Byung-hun to star in ‘The Prince and the Pauper’ remake" JoongAng Ilbo 15 November 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-23
- "'Terminator: Genesis' Call Sheet Reveals Byung-hun Lee's Role As T-1000". screenrelish.com. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- "OSEN - '밀정' 이병헌, 의열단장 정채산으로 특별출연". Osen.mt.co.kr. 2016-08-20. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- "꽃보다청춘 강하늘,"여자 잘 몰라" 말했다가 김우빈 "한번 폭로해 볼까?"". News.donga.com. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Lee Byung Hun in Absolute Cinema Experience". wordpress.com. 7 May 2013. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Byung-hun.|