Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2012)|
Emblem of India
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOP&NG) is a ministry of the Government of India. It is responsible for the exploration, production, refining, distribution, marketing, import, export, and conservation of petroleum, natural gas, petroleum products, and liquefied natural gas in India.
The ministry is headed by the Cabinet MinisterDharmendra Pradhan. Mrs. Panabaka Lakshmi, the MP from Bapatla Lok Sabha constituency of Andhra Pradesh, is the Minister of State in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. Saurabh Chandra, IAS is the Secretary of the Ministry.
Important areas of work allocated to the Ministry
- Exploration and exploitation of petroleum resources, including natural gas.
- Production, supply distribution, marketing and pricing of petroleum including natural gas and petroleum products.
- Oil refineries, including Lube plants.
- Additives for petroleum and petroleum products.
- Lube blending and greases.
- Planning, development and control of, and assistance to all industries dealt with by the Ministry.
- All attached or subordinate offices or other organisations concerned with any of the subject specified in this list.
- Planning, development and regulation of oilfield services.
- Public sector projects failing under the subjects included in this list,
- Engineers India limited and IBP Company. together with its subsidiaries, except such projects as are specifically allotted to any other Ministry/Dept,
- Administration of various Central laws relating to Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Ram Naik - 1999-2004
- Mani Shankar Aiyar - 2004-2006
- Murli Deora - 2006-18 Jan 2011
- Jaipal Reddy - 19 Jan 2011 - 28 Oct 2012
- M. Veerappa Moily - 28 Oct 2012 - 17 May 2014
Ministers of State
- Dinsha Patel - 2006-2009
- R. P. N. Singh - 19 Jan 2011- 28 Oct 2012
- Panabaka Lakshmi - 28 Oct 2012 - 17 May 2014
- Dharmendra Pradhan - 26 May 2014 - Till date
- Biecco Lawrie Limited
- Bongaigaon Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Engineers India Limited
- Gas Authority of India Limited
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Numaligarh Refinery Limited
- Oil India Limited
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited
On February 20, 2015, A group of seven Indian petroleum ministry and oil firm employees were arrested for allegedly stealing and leaking classified documents to energy companies in exchange for cash payments. The group stole, photocopied and leaked confidential oil ministry documents related to energy pricing and policy in exchange for undisclosed sums of money. They were apprehended when Delhi police received a tip that the men were trying to break into offices at the ministry.
- Electricity sector in India
- Nuclear power in India
- Oil Industry Safety Directorate
- Petrol stations in India
- Solar power in India
- Wind power in India
- Renewable energy in India
- "Saurabh Chandra takes over as Secretary of Petroleum Ministry". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Seven arrested in India classified document theft-for-cash scheme". Petro Global News. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|