Mount Signal Solar
|Mount Signal Solar|
|Location||Calexico, Imperial County, California|
|Commission date||May 2014|
(built by 8minutenergy Renewables)
TerraForm Power (MS1)|
Capital Dynamics (MS3)
|Site area||1,940 acres (790 ha)|
|Nameplate capacity||594 MWp, 452 MWAC|
Mount Signal Solar is a 594-megawatt (MWp) photovoltaic power station west of Calexico, California in the southern Imperial Valley, near the Mexican border. The facility is being developed and constructed by 8minutenergy Renewables in three phases. At full build-out, Mount Signal Solar will be one of the world's largest PV solar farms with a capacity of up to 800 MW (600 MWAC). Construction has been supported by several environmental groups, as the power station was built on low productivity farmland.
The first phase started construction in 2012 and went online in 2014, providing 266 MWDC to San Diego Gas & Electric under a 25-year agreement. Consisting of more than 3 million panels and 138 Skids designed and manufactured by Elettronica Santerno, it was the world's largest solar project using single-axis trackers to follow the path of the sun upon completion.
Phases two and three consist of 200 MWDC and 328 MWDC of power, respectively, on 3,200 acres (1,300 ha) contracted to Southern California Edison. Phase 2 is expected to be commissioned by 2020, while Phase 3 is expected to go online by the end of 2018. Phase 3 will consist of 2.8 million Series 4 thin film panels from First Solar.
Solar power station projects
The Mount Signal Solar Farm consists of 3 phases:
- Mount Signal 1 — a 266 MWDC (200 MWAC) solar power station using photovoltaics. Construction on the 1,940-acre (790 ha) site began in November 2012 and was completed in May 2014.
- Mount Signal 2 — a proposed 200 MWDC (154 MWAC) solar power station also using photovoltaics on approximately 1,260 acres (510 ha) which is expected to be commissioned by 2020.
- Mount Signal 3 - a 328 MWDC (252 MWAC) solar power station using photovoltaics on 2,000 acres (810 ha) to be completed in July 2018.
- Sterling, Scott (April 5, 2012). "World's largest solar farm coming to Imperial Valley". Southern California Public Radio.
- "8minutenergy Renewables 266 MW Mount Signal Solar Farm Starts Construction" (Press release). 8minutenergy. November 12, 2012.
- "Santerno to supply inverters for 265-MWp California PV plant". renewablesnow.com. 28 Nov 2012.
- "Mount Signal Solar Is Online: World's Largest Single Axis Solar PV Project". SustainableBusiness.com. 23 May 2015.
- Vorrath, Sophie (May 23, 2014). "World's Largest Tracking Solar PV Plant Completed In California". CleanTechnica.
- "Submission of Contracts for Procurement of Renewable Energy from SCE's 2013 Renewables Portfolio Standard Solicitation" (PDF). Southern California Edition. March 19, 2015.
- "8minutenergy Renewables and Silver Ridge Power to Build Two Solar Projects Totaling 406 MW to Provide Power to Southern California Edison" (Press release). 8minutenergy. August 4, 2014.
- "8minutenergy and Capital Dynamics Announce 328 MW Mount Signal 3 Solar Project" (Press release). 8minutenergy. July 11, 2017.
- Turner, Melanie (November 12, 2012). "8minutenergy begins first phase of 800MW solar project". Sacramento Business Journal.
- "Abengoa completes the construction of the world's largest single-axis photovoltaic plant" (Press release). Abengoa. May 21, 2014.
- 8minutenergy Turns On Phases 1 & 2 Of 328 Megawatt Mount Signal 3 Solar Farm, CleanTechnica, Joshua S Hill, July 12, 2018