List of photovoltaic power stations
The following is a list of photovoltaic power stations that are larger than 100 megawatts (MW) in current net capacity. Most are individual photovoltaic power stations, but some are groups of co-located plants owned by different independent power producers and with separate transformer connections to the grid. Wiki-Solar reports total global capacity of utility-scale photovoltaic plants to be some 60 GWAC at the end of 2015.
The size of photovoltaic power stations has increased progressively over the last decade with frequent new capacity records. The 97 MW Sarnia Photovoltaic Power Plant went online in 2010. Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park reached 200 MW in 2012. In August 2012, Agua Caliente Solar Project, (Arizona, 290 MW) reached 247 MW only to be passed by three larger plants in 2013. As of November 2014, Topaz Solar Farm was the largest PV solar plant in the world at 550 MWAC in central coast area and a second 550-MW plant, the Desert Sunlight Solar Farm is located in the far eastern desert region of Riverside County, California. These two plants were superseded by a new "world's largest" facility in June 2015 when the 579 MWAC Solar Star project went online in the Antelope Valley region of Los Angeles County, California. The current largest photovoltaic power station in the world is Longyangxia Dam Solar Park, in Gonghe County, Qinghai, China. Additional even larger solar plants, including some over 1000 MW, have been proposed around the world.
World's largest photovoltaic power stations
|Longyangxia Dam Solar Park||China||850||824||2015||320 MW Phase I Completed in December 2013, 530 MW phase II in 2015|||
|Kamuthi Solar Power Project||India||648||n.a.||2016||Completed on 21 September 2016|||
|Solar Star (I and II)||United States||579||n.a.||2015||579 MWAC (747.3 MWp) connected to the grid on June 19, 2015. Consists of Solar Star I (318 MWAC or 397.8 MWDC) and Solar Star II: 279 MWAC or 349.5 MWDC|||
|Topaz Solar Farm||United States||550||1,301||2014||Gradually commissioned since February 2013, reached final capacity 550 MW in November 2014|||
|Desert Sunlight Solar Farm||United States||550||1,287||2015||Phase I with 300 MW completed in 2013. Construction of phase II to final capacity of 550 MW completed in January 2015|||
|Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park||China||500||2014||Phase I completed in October 2011, followed by Phase II and III. 60 MW phase IV under construction. Within a group of 1,000 MW of co-located plants|||
|Copper Mountain Solar Facility||United States||458||1,087||2015||Phase 1 completed in December 2010. Phase 2 completed in January 2013. Phase 3 completed in early 2015. Construction of 94 MW phase 4 scheduled to commence in 2015 and be completed by year-end 2016.|||
|Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park||Pakistan||400||1000||2015||First phase of 100 MW completed in April 2015 and inaugurated in May 2015. Approved to be upgraded to 1,500 MW.|||
|Charanka Solar Park||India||345||n.a.||2012||Collection of 23 co-located power plants, of which the largest is 51 MW|||
|Cestas Solar Farm||France||300||380||2015||Completed in October 2015|||
|Agua Caliente Solar Project||United States||290||626||2014||Project was completed in April 2014|||
|Antelope Valley Solar Ranch||United States||266||525||2015||Has received government loan guarantee Corresponds to 230 MWAC|||
|Mount Signal Solar||United States||265.7||n.a.||2014||Corresponds to 206 MWAC. Completed in May 2014.|||
|Silver State South Solar Project||United States||250||n.a.||2016||Completed in June 2016.|||
|California Valley Solar Ranch||United States||250||399||2013||First 130 MW connected February 2013|||
|Springbok Solar Farm||United States||255||n.a.||2016||Completed in September 2016. Another 90MW proposed|||
|El Romero Solar Farm||Chile||246||n.a.||2016||at Vallenar in the Atacama region|||
|Mesquite Solar project||United States||207||413||2013||First phase of 150 MW in January 2013. Up to 700 MW when complete.|
|Gonghe Industrial Park Phase I||China||200||n.a.||2013||Completed in December 2013. Following phases with 550 MW planned.|||
|Tranquility Solar project||United States||200||n.a.||2016||Completed in September 2016, Fresno County, California|||
|Solar Capital De Aar||South Africa||175||2014||De Aar completed August 2014, De Aar 3 completed March 2016|||
|Centinela Solar Energy Project||United States||170||n.a.||2013||Completed in July 2013|||
|Solarpark Meuro||Germany||166||n.a.||2012||Adjoins Senftenberg Solarpark|||
|Campo Verde Solar Project||United States||161||n.a.||2013||Corresponds to 139 MWAC. Completed in April 2013|||
|Finis Terrae solar project||Chile||160||n.a.||2016|||
|Comanche Solar||United States||156||n.a.||2016||Corresponds to 120 MWAC. Completed in November 2016|||
|Welspun Solar MP project||India||151||n.a.||2014||Completed in February 2014|||
|Imperial Solar Energy Center South||United States||150||n.a.||2013||Completed in November 2013|||
|SolarGen 2 Imperial Valley||United States||150||2014|
|Stateline Solar||United States||150||n.a.||2016||Completed as of September 2016. Another 150MW under construction|||
|Imperial Solar Energy Center West||United States||149||2016||Completed April 2016|||
|Eurus Rokkasho Solar Park （Aomori）||Japan||148||n.a.||2015||115 MWAC, in operation since October 2015|||
|Sandhills Solar Facility||United States||146||2016|||
|Nacaome and Valle Solar Power Plant||Honduras||146||n.a.||2015||Completed in May 2015|||
|Neuhardenberg Solar Park||Germany||145||n.a.||2012||A group of 11 co-located plant by the same developer but with different IPPs. Completed in September 2012.|||
|Arlington Valley Solar II||United States||145||n.a.||2013||Completed in November 2013|||
|McCoy Solar Energy Project||United States||144||n.a.||2016||As of June 2016, 250MW when completed|||
|Catalina Solar Project||United States||143||204||2013||Phase 1 completed in 2012. Phase 2 completed in September 2013|||
|Quinto Solar Project||United States||136||n.a.||2015||Completed June 2015, 110 MW(ac)/135.6 MW(dc)|||
|Cadiz Solar Power Plant||Philippines||132.5||n.a.||2016||Completed in March 2016|||
|Templin Solar Park||Germany||128.48||n.a.||2012||Completed in September 2012|||
|Sakri Solar Plant||India||125||n.a.||2013||Completed in March 2013|||
|Alamo 5||United States||118||n.a.||2016||Completed April 2016, 95 MW(AC)|||
|Toul-Rosières Solar Park||France||115||n.a.||2012||Completed in July 2012|||
|Softbank Tomatoh Abira Solar Park||Japan||111||n.a.||2015||79 MWAC, in operation since December 2015|||
|Blythe Solar 110||United States||110||n.a.||2016||Completed in April 2016. Not to be confused with Blythe II and Blythe III|||
|Perovo Solar Park||Ukraine||105.56||133||2011||Final stage completed in December 2011|||
|Utah Red Hills Renewable Park||United States||104||210||2015|||
|Nyngan Solar Plant||Australia||102||230||2015||Completed in June 2015. Thin film CdTe from First Solar|||
|White Pine Solar Farm||United States||101||2016||Completed July 2016|||
|ACME Solar Project||India||100||n.a.||2015||Completed in June 2015|
|Alamo 7 Solar Farm||United States||100||2016||Completed August 2016|||
|Amanecer Solar CAP||Chile||100||270||2014||Completed in June 2014|||
|Anantapur Solar Project||India||100||n.a.||2016||Completed in August 2016|||
|Azure Solar Project||India||100||n.a.||2015||Completed in May 2015|
|Chengde PV Project Phase I and II||China||100||n.a.||2013|||
|Gansu Jiayuguan Solar Park||China||100||n.a.||2013||Completed in June 2013|||
|Grand Renewable Solar Project||Canada||100||n.a.||2015||Completed in August 2015|||
|Henrietta Solar Farm||United States||100||2016||Completed August 2016|||
|Mustang Solar Farm||United States||100||2016||Completed August 2016|||
|Ningxia Qingyang Solar Park||China||100||150||2013|||
|North Star Solar Farm||United States||100||n.a.||2016||Corresponds to 100 MWAC. Completed in October 2016|||
|Sardargarh and Chughe Kalan solar farm||India||100||n.a.||2016||Completed in November 2016|||
|Xitieshan Solar Park||China||100||164||2011||Phase I completed 2010, phases II and III in 2011|||
|Photovoltaic power plants|
Timeline of the largest PV power stations
|Year(a)||Name of PV power station||Country||Capacity
|1985||Carrisa Plain||United States||5.6|
|2005||Bavaria Solarpark (Mühlhausen)||Germany||6.3|
|2006||Erlasee Solar Park||Germany||11.4|
|2008||Olmedilla Photovoltaic Park||Spain||60|
|2010||Sarnia Photovoltaic Power Plant||Canada||97|
|2011||Huanghe Hydropower Golmud Solar Park||China||200|
|2012||Agua Caliente Solar Project||United States||290|
|2014||Topaz Solar Farm(b)||United States||550|
|2015||Solar Star(b)||United States||579|
|2015||Longyangxia Dam Solar Park||China||850|
|Also see list of noteworthy solar parks
(a) year of final commissioning (b) capacity given in MWAC otherwise in MWDC
- Community solar farm
- List of solar thermal power stations
- List of energy storage projects
- List of largest power stations in the world
- List of monitored photovoltaic power stations
- List of photovoltaic power stations in planning or under construction
- List of rooftop photovoltaic installations
- List of renewable energy topics by country
- Photovoltaic power station
- Renewable energy commercialization
- Renewable energy industry
- Renewable energy in the European Union
- Solar energy
- Solar power satellite
- Note that nominal power may be AC or DC, depending on the plant, and therefore any totals quoted are hybrid. See AC-DC conundrum: Latest PV power-plant ratings follies put focus on reporting inconsistency (update)
- "Latest global totals". Wiki-Solar. Wiki-Solar.org. Retrieved March 2016. Check date values in:
- SI staff (7 March 2016). "Global Utility-Scale Solar Reaches Annual Record Yet Again". Solar Industry. Retrieved March 2016. Check date values in:
- "DOE Closes on Four Major Solar Projects". Renewable Energy World. 30 September 2011.
- "2013 Top 250 Solar Contractors". Solar Power World.
- Wesoff, Eric (26 June 2015). "Solar Star, Largest PV Power Plant in the World, Now Operational". Greentech Solar. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "World's Largest Hydro/PV Hybrid Project Synchronized". China State Power Investment Corporation. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Denis Lenardic. Large-scale photovoltaic power plants ranking 1 - 50 PVresources.com, 2011.
- 李洋. "World's largest solar-hydro power station getting connected to the grid".
- Author. "KW50 - CPI completes massive hybrid solar PV/hydro plant in Western China - SolarServer".
- Jun, Zhang (May 2015). "Joint Development Mode of Hydropower and New Energy" (PDF). Upstream Huanghe Hydropower Development Co., Ltd. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Global hydropower market shows promise for future". ESI-Africa.com. 10 March 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Adani Group launches world's largest solar power plant in Tamil Nadu - Times of India". Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "Solar Star, Largest PV Power Plant in the World, Now Operational". GreenTechMedia.com. 24 June 2015.
- Solar Star Project, Japan DG Demand Drive SunPower's Q3, Forbes, 10/31/2014
- Steve Leone (7 December 2011). "Billionaire Buffett Bets on Solar Energy". Renewable Energy World.
- "California Valley's Topaz Solar Farm now producing electricity". sanluisobispo.
- Energy Information Administration. "Topaz Solar Farm, Monthly". Electricity Data Browser. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "We're so sorry, your page was Not Found!".
- RESOLUTION E-4347 September 2, 2010
- "Desert Sunlight Solar Farm".
- "Electricity Data Browser".
- "Electricity Data Browser".
- "China-PV Power Station". China Central Television. Oct 29, 2011. Archived from the original on 20 February 2012. Retrieved April 2012. Check date values in:
- "Qinghai leads in photovoltaic power". Chinadaily US Edition.
- Wolfe, Philip (29 Oct 2015). "Utility-scale solar tops 50 GW globally..en route to another record year". SeeNews Renewables. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- America's Largest PV Power Plant Is Now Live (December 6, 2010), Renewable Energy World
- "Sempra U.S. Gas & Power, Consolidated Edison Development Dedicate Nevada Solar Plant".
- "Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park: Solar energy's 100MW to arrive in April". The Express Tribune. 27 March 2015.
- AEG to Build 450mw Solar Project in Pakistan
- Patton, Dominique (25 November 2012). "German solar panel maker Conergy will supply and develop a 50MW project in Pakistan as it expands its sales in Asia". Recharge News. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park adds another 300 MW electricity to national grid, Daily Pakistan, September 14, 2016
- Gujarat Solar Park#Charanka Solar Park
- "The government aims to boost solar power capacity 30 times in seven years. Is the target realistic?". Hindustan Powerprojects Private Ltd.
- Gujarat Power Corporation Ltd
- India Pushes Ultra-Mega Scheme To Scale Solar PV, Forbes, William Pentland, 9/09/2014
- Baptiste Clarke. "Titanesque ! La centrale photovoltaïque de Cestas, en Gironde". Actu-Environnement.
- "RPS Project Status Table - February Update".
- "World's Largest Operational Solar PV Project, Agua Caliente, Achieves 250 Megawatts of Grid-Connected Power".
- "First Solar Stops Installation at Agua Caliente Project". Bloomberg.
- World’s Biggest Solar PV Plant a Feather in DOE’s Cap, Pete Danko, greentechmedia, May 2, 2014
- "AV Solar Ranch One". NextLight Renewable Power LLC. 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Project Overview
- Hill, Joshua (22 Feb 2013). "Antelope Valley Solar Ranch One Achieves 100 Megawatt Milestone". Clean Technica. Retrieved Feb 2013. Check date values in:
- GreenTechMedia.com, Herman K. Trabish, Antelope Valley Solar Ranch One: The Solar Power Plant That Could, 5 March 2012
- "List of Power Plants - Silver Ridge Power".
- "Abengoa :: Press Room :: News :: News Archive :: 2014 :: May".
- Table 6.3. New Utility Scale Generating Units by Operating Company, Plant, and Month, 2016, Electric Power Monthly, U.S. Energy Information Administration, October 25, 2016
- "E-4229 Redacted Final Resolution (PG&E requests approval of a renewable energy procurement contract with High Plains Ranch II, LLC. The contract concerns a new solar photovoltaic project).".
- U.S. Solar Market Trends 2013, IREC, July 2014
- Meza, Edgar (27 June 2013). "NRG Energy completes 250 MW California Valley Solar Ranch". Solar Energy Industry Association. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "130MW energized". California Valley Solar Ranch. Retrieved Feb 2013. Check date values in:
- Chile connects Latin America's largest solar plant to the national grid, MercoPress, November 14th 2016
- 200MW Gonghe PV Station of Huanghe Company Synchronized, China Power Investment Corporation, Dec 16,2013
- 200 MW Tranquillity Solar Project Goes Online In California, SolarIndustry, Joseph Bebon, September 26, 2016
- Second phase of 175MW PV project completed in South Africa, pv-tech, Ben Willis, March 17, 2016
- De Aar Project 1, Solar Capital, accessed March 23, 2016
- "E-4388 (Redacted Final Res.)-SDG&E requests approval of two renewable power purchase agreements with Centinela Solar Energy, LLC.".
- "First Solar Sells 139-Megawatt Campo Verde Solar Project".
- Saurabh Mahapatra (2016-06-01). "Enel Commissions Its Largest Solar PV Project In Chile". CleanTechnica.
- "Largest Solar Project in Colorado Begins Commercial Operations".
- Staff Reporter. "India's largest solar plant in MP, Modi calls it 'saffron revolution'". The Hindu.
- "India's largest solar plant in MP, Modi calls it 'saffron revolution'". The Hindu. India. 2014-02-26.
- "Welcome to Welspun Energy Limited".
- "E-4408 Draft Redacted Comment Resolution (SDG&E Company requests approval of a renewable energy contract with C Solar IV South, LLC)".
- MarketWatch: Tenaska Solar Ventures Chooses First Solar to Construct Imperial Solar Energy Center South
- "Our Projects | Eurus Energy Holdings Corporation". eurus-energy.com. Eurus Energy Holdings. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- 111MW Solar Plant Begins Operation in Hokkaido, Kenji Kaneko, Nikkei BP CleanTech Institute, 2015/12/08
- Flint customers getting solar power, The Telegraph (Macon, Georgia), November 17, 2016
- Mario Larach. "Largest solar power project in Latin America and the most efficient worldwide comes online". Café with Mario.
- LIMA Group GmbH. "Contract for services - LIMA Group".
- "GESAMTPLANUNG Solarpark Neuhardenberg" (PDF). Enfo AG. Retrieved Feb 2013. Check date values in:
- "Fluor Completes 125 MW Arlington Valley Solar Energy Facility In Arizona".
- "The EDF RE Owned Catalina Solar Plant in California Provides 37,000 Homes - EDF Renewable Energy".
- "EDF Solar Energy Project Press Release - EDF Renewable Energy".
- "RPS Project Status Table - October 2013 Update".
- "E-4456 Final Redacted Resolution (This approves cost recovery for power purchase agreements between SCE and Solar Star California XIII, XIX, XX, LLCs)".
- "Quintos Solar". Mortenson. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Noda, Tomas III (5 March 2016). "Singapore's Equis Fund opens SE Asia's largest solar project in Philippines". Deal Street Asia. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- Commerz Real Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH. "Commerz Real Acquires Germany's Largest Solar Park". CFB-Fonds.
- "World's largest solar project to come up in Dhule, Maharashtra".
- "India-Germany Statement on Strategic and Global Partnership".
- One of the World’s largest dual-axis tracker system , Mortenson Company, 2016
- ConEdison Development joins CPS to dedicate Alamo 5 solar farm in Texas, Renewable Energy Magazine, Robin Whitlock Wednesday, 13 April 2016
- "EDF EN commissions a 115 MWp solar plant in the Lorraine region of France". [ EDF Energies Nouvelles ].
- "Activ Solar adds 20MW to Perovo Solar Power Station". PV-Tech.
- "В Крыму построили крупнейшую солнечную электростанцию в мире".
- Utah's first solar plant among 12 largest in North America, KSL.com, Amy Joi O'Donoghue, December 11, 2015
- ABC.net.au, Australia's biggest solar farm opens at Nyngan, western NSW, 18 April 2015
- AGL, Nyngan Solar Plant
- "First 100MW solar plant points to missed opportunity in Australia". Renew Economy.
- John Conroy (17 April 2015), "Panel perfect: Australia's largest solar plant complete", Business Spectator, retrieved 17 April 2015
- "The Southern Hemisphere's Largest Solar Plant - AGL solar". AGL - Energy in Action.
- "Chile Solar Power Plant Is Now Latin America's Largest - CleanTechnica". CleanTechnica.
- "President Bachelet of Chile Inaugurates Latin America's Largest Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant".
- Tata Power Solar commissions India’s largest solar plant in Andhra Pradesh, Debjoy Sengupta, The Economic Times, August 16, 2016
- "Welcome To China Power Investment Corporation".
- Tsanova, Tsvetomira (17 June 2013). "Goldpoly hooks to grid 100-MW solar park in Gansu". SeeNews Renewables. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- Haldimand County solar projects ready to shine, Aug 27, 2015
- "Kingston Solar - Samsung Renewable Energy Inc.".
- GCL-Poly: GCL-Poly Completed the Construction and Grid-Connection of 100MW PV Power Plant in Desert in Qingyang, Ningxia
- PV Magazine: GCL-Poly brings 160 MW PV power plants online in China
- "Midwest's largest solar farm finished".
- Sukhbir Badal opens Punjab's largest solar power plant, IANS, November 09, 2016
- "Jinko Solar - Your Best Supplier of Modules,Cells & Wafers".
- CGN: Solar Energy
- CGN: 中广核集团青海锡铁山100兆瓦光伏并网发电项目竣工投产
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. "CDM: CGN Qinghai Xitieshan Phase I 10MW Grid-connected Solar PV Power Generation Project".
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. "CDM: CGN Qinghai Xitieshan Phase II 30MWp Grid-connected Solar PV Power Generation Project".
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. "CDM: Xitieshan Phase III 60MWp Grid-connected Solar PV Power Generation Project".
- Clean Tech Nation: How the U.S. Can Lead in the New Global Economy (2012) by Ron Pernick and Clint Wilder
- Deploying Renewables 2011 (2011) by the International Energy Agency
- Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era (2011) by Amory Lovins
- Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation (2011) by the IPCC
- Solar Energy Perspectives (2011) by the International Energy Agency
Media related to Photovoltaic power stations at Wikimedia Commons