Vidya Academy of Science and Technology, Thrissur
|Motto||Progress through education|
|Type||Self-financing engineering college|
|Principal||Dr. Saji C.B|
|Campus||30 acres (120,000 m2)|
Vidya Academy of Science and Technology (VAST) is a privately financed engineering college in Thrissur District in Kerala. The college offers a degree in Bachelor of Technology and courses in six branches of engineering - Production, Civil, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics and Communication, Mechanical. The college also offers a degree in Masters in Computer Application. From the year 2011, the college has offered four M.Tech courses and two Ph.D programmes in Electrical engineering & Computer science engineering. The college was established and is administered by Vidya International Charitable Trust (VICT), a body formed by more than a thousand non-resident Keralites mostly based in the Arab States of the Persian Gulf.
- 1 History
- 2 Certifications
- 3 Departments and courses
- 4 Academic support and services
- 5 Admissions
- 6 Scholarships
- 7 Administration
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The college started functioning in August 2003 offering B Tech courses in four branches of engineering, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics and Communication, and Mechanical Engineering.
From 2006, the college began to offer B.Tech programmes in Civil Engineering and Production Engineering. In the same year, the postgraduate programme of Masters in Computer Application was started. There are around 1900 students and 112 faculty members. From 2012, the college has offered M.Tech in Power electronics and Drives, Computer science and engineering, Structural engineering and Embedded systems. The college is one of the Research Center for Doctoral Research (Ph.D) of Anna University, Chennai.
The college is affiliated to the University of Calicut, approved by the All India Council for Technical Education and recognized by the Government of Kerala (see External links below). It has also secured ISO 9001:2008 certification.It is also a recognized research center for Doctoral Research for Department of EEE and Dept. of CSE from Anna University, Chennai. College has National Board of Accreditation (NBA) for its EEE, ME and CE undergraduate programmes.
Departments and courses
The college has seven engineering departments (including the Department of Computer Applications) and three allied departments. The College runs six B Tech, four M.Tech & two Ph.D programmes in engineering and a MCA programme.
- Department of Production Engineering (60)
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (60 + 30 PG + 8 Ph.D)
- Department of Civil Engineering (120 + 24 PG)
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering (120 + 30 PG + 8 Ph.D)
- Department of Computer Applications (60 PG)
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering (120 + 24 PG)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (120)
- Department of Applied Sciences
- Department of Humanities
- Department of Training and Placement
Academic support and services
Research and allied activities
The college has a forum in the form of Research Development Extension and Consultancy Cell (RDEC Cell) for promoting research and allied activities. The infrastructure facilities of the college are utilized for formulating and implementing research projects. The laboratories provide the testing facilities.
The College has institutional memberships in the following professional associations:
- Computer Society of India (CSI)
- Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE)
- Institution of Engineers (India)
- Nano Science and Technology Consortium
In addition, there are active student chapters of Computer Society of India, ISTE and Institution of Engineers (India), and also of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in the college.
The college has academic tie-ups with these IT industries.
- Infosys Technologies Limited through their Campus-Connect programme
- Tata Consultancy Services Limited
- Cisco Systems through the Cisco Networking Academy at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
National Service Scheme
There are two units, Unit 101 and Unit 200 of the National Service Scheme (NSS) in the college.
For both B.Tech. and MCA programmes, fifty percent of the students are selected by the Government of Kerala from the rank list prepared based on the Common Entrance Examination conducted by the commissioner of entrance examinations, and fifty percent of the students are selected by the management from a list prepared by them.
As part of its philanthropic activity, the Vidya International Charitable Trust, in co-operation with His Highness, Nahayan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research, United Arab Emirates, and Mr. Sunny Varkey, founder of GEMS Education, a consortium of educational institutions in India, the Middle East and Europe, awards nearly 100 scholarships.
Vidya International Charitable Trust, a non-profit charitable trust formed by a group of non-resident Indians and registered at Thiruvananthapuram in December 2000, is the promoter of the college. Under the provisions of the trust deed of Vidya International Charitable Trust, the board of trustees is the custodian of the trust and all its properties. The board of trustees vests the management and control of Vidya Academy of Science and Technology and other ventures of the trust on an executive committee of eleven trustees elected from the board of trustees. An advisory board guides the development of the college. A steering committee directs the day-to-day functioning of the college. There is also an academic council to provide leadership to the academic activities in the college. The chief patron is P. K. Asokan.
- "About Us". vidyaacademy.ac.in/. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "List of AICTE approved institutes for the state Kerala for the academic year: 2016-2017". AICTE. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- Chairman's message  (Retrieved on 29 July 2008)
- State University of New York at New Paltz home page
- Home page of VAST RDEC Cell  (Retrieved on 29 August 2008)
- "FOSSers". fossers.vidyaacademy.ac.in. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- GEMS Education Home page
-  (Retrieved on 13 July 2008)
- Profiles of Academic Council members
- Profiles of members of the Executive Council of VICT  (Retrieved on 21 June 2010)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vidya Academy of Science and Technology.|
- Vidya Academy of Science and Technology, Official Website
- Vidya International Charitable Trust, Official Website
- Vidya Academy of Science and Technology in Wikimapia