Location of Pontian District in Johor
|Local area government(s)||Pontian District Council|
|• Total||932.64 km2 (360.09 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+8 (Not observed)|
|Vehicle registration plates||J|
The Pontian District is a district in southwest Johor, Malaysia. The name Pontian is also used in the names of two towns in the district, Pontian Besar and Pontian Kechil, of which the latter serves as its district capital. The capital was formerly a fishing village which has developed into a small town.
Pontian is noted for its variety of seafood which is sold at a reasonable price. Kukup is a famous fishing village about 20 km from Pontian Kechil. Notable national parks in Pontian include Tanjung Piai. To the south and east of Pontian Kechil respectively are the towns of Teluk Kerang and Pekan Nanas.
Especially along coastal areas, Pontian is populated by Malays of Bugis and Javanese descent. The Chinese community in Pontian predominantly belongs to the Hoklo (Hokkien) as well as well as Teochew dialect groups.
This town is also site as the observatory to look for the crescent moon to mark the beginning of Muslim month of Ramadhan, Shawwal and Zulhijjah, to celebrate fasting month of Ramadhan as well as the festivals of Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha (the two Eids).
The name of Pontian transformed from a Malay word "Perhentian" which means a stop.
In the past, Pontian was a stop for both merchants and pirates. Pontian was also the landing point for Indonesian navy during Konfrontasi Malaysia-Indonesia during the 1960s.
- Ayer Baloi
- Ayer Masin
- Jeram Batu/Pengkalan Raja
- Rimba Terjun
- Sungai Karang
- Sungai Pinggan
In 2000, the annual population growth of Pontian District was 2.36%.
The district used to be the center of fishing, pineapple farms and palm oil plantations. Recently it has transformed into the agriculture, fishing, industrial and tourism sectors. The main economy activities in the district are ecotourism, fishery, marine activities and food processing.
- Maktab Rendah Sains MARA Pontian
- SMK Dato' Penggawa Barat
- SMK Sri Perhentian
- SMK Dato' Ali Haji Ahmad
- SMK Ayer Baloi
- SMK Benut
- SMK Telok Kerang
- SMK Sri Kukup
- SMK Kayu Ara Pasong
- SMK Pekan Nenas
- SMK Dato' Mohd Yunos Sulaiman
- Sek Men Agama Maahad Pontian
- SMK Tan Sri Osman Mohd Sa'at
- SMK Parit Betak
- Pei Chun High School (Independent)
- SMK Sri Tanjung
- SMK Sri Bandar
- SK Parit Sulaiman
- SK Parit Rambai
- SK Seri Bunian
- SK Seri Sinaran Chokoh
- SK Sungai Boh
- SK Api-Api
- SK Telok Kerang
- SK Rambah
- SK Rimba Terjun
- SK Sungai Durian
- SK Andek Mori
- SK Serkat
- SK Pekan Nanas
- SJK (C) Gau San
- SJK (C) Chien Hwa, Kampung Jawa
- SJK (C) Chi Chih, Ayer Baloi
- SK Tengku Mahmood Iskandar I & II
- SJK (C) Pei Hwa, Telok Kerang
- SK Bandar Pontian
- SJK (C) Pei Chun 1&2
- SJK (C) Bin Chong
- SJK (C) Tah Tong
- SK Sungai Bunyi
- SJK (C) Yu Ming 1 & 2, Pekan Nanas
- SK Parit Sapran
- SK Kayu Ara Pasong
- SK Tanjong Ayer Hitam
- SK Seri Al - Ulum
- SJK (C) Cheow Min
- SK Pulai Sebatang
- SK Parit Kudus
- SK Sri Kembar
- SK Parit Markom
- SJK(C) Siu Woon
- SK penerok
- SJK(T) Parit Ibrahim
- SK Seri Pulai
- SK Parit Selangor
- SJK（C）Pei Chiao
- Old Pontian seaside near Padang. A must-see photography spot for couples from the 1950s-2000s. Includes a rest-house, a helipad, children's playground and a newly-built royal park.
- Perdagangan Pontian Seaside. A land reclamation area which creates Pontian Business Centre, New Bus Station and longer sealine for Pontian. Here you can have tea and mamak food by the sea.
- Rambah Seaside; A renovated seaside located at Rambah Village. It is a wonderful seaside for couples to stargaze and enjoy at night.
- Telok Kerang seaside; Very nice seaside with a sandy beach.
- Pulau Pisang; An island with a lighthouse famous for its Kuini Fruit.
- Pasar Awam Pontian (Public Market); Famous for its fresh-from-the-sea products and vegetables. Their Pontian Black Pomfret are a must buy.
- Pineapple Plantation - Hundreds of acres of pineapples located at Ayer Baloi, Pekan Nanas and Parit Sikom. Has an endless view of pineapples. A nice place for photography. Pontian was once the largest exporter of pineapples in the world.
- Tanjung Piai
- Bugis Museum
- Pineapple Museum
- Laman Diraja Pontian. A new landmark that has a smaller Royal Crown of Johor replica same as the one in Istana Bukit Serene.
- Lian Hua Theater
- Old Pasar now transformed to Billion Building
- "Rancangan Tempatan Daerah Pontian (Penggantian) 2030" (ZIP) (in Malay).
- "Population Distribution and Basic Demographic Characteristics, 2010" (PDF). Department of Statistics, Malaysia. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 May 2014. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Profil Daerah Pontian" (PDF) (in Malay).
- "A positive change in its fortunes". The Star Online. 15 January 2018. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Muafakat ke Arah #Johor Berkemajuan" (PDF). Muafakat Johor (in Malay). Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Bus Routes in Johor Bahru". BusInterchange.net. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pontian District.|