Contemporary Salvadoran passport
|Issued by||El Salvador|
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Salvadoran citizenship|
|Expiration||5 years after issuance for individuals|
Salvadoran passports are issued to citizens of El Salvador to travel outside the country.
Passports are issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs or, if the citizen resides abroad, at the embassy. Besides serving as proof of identity and of citizenship, they facilitate the process of securing assistance from Salvadoran consular officials abroad, if needed. Citizens can not have multiple Salvadoran passports at the same time.
Like all Central American passports the cover is navy with gold fonts stating the official name of the country in Spanish and in English. A map of Central America is displayed with the Salvadoran territory shaded.
Identity information page
The Salvadoran passport includes the following data:
- Type ('P' - Passport)
- Code for issuing country ("SLV" - Salvadoran)
- Passport Number
- Name of bearer
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Date of issue
- Date of expiry
- Booklet Number
- Issuing Authority
The data page is printed in Spanish and English, while the personal data is entered in Spanish.
The Salvadoran passport contains 48 pages, of which one page (the first one) shows the information of the document holder, suitable for visas and border stamps.
Central America-4 Border Control Agreement
The Central America-4 Border Control Agreement (CA-4) was a treaty signed in June 2006 between the Central American nations of El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua, establishing the free movement across borders between the four signatory states of their citizens without any restrictions or checks. Foreign nationals who enter one of the signatory countries can also travel to other signatory states without having to obtain additional permits or to undergo checks at border checkpoints.
Visa requirement for Salvadoran citizens
As of 1 January 2017, Salvadoran citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 120 countries and territories, ranking the Salvadoran passport 39th in terms of travel freedom according to the Henley visa restrictions index.
- Central America-4 passport
- Visa requirements for El Salvador citizens
- Visa policy of El Salvador
- List of diplomatic missions of El Salvador
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of El Salvador
- Council regulation 539/2001 
- Council regulation 1932/2006 
- Council regulation 539/2001 consolidated version, 19.1.2007 
- List of nationals who do need a visa to visit the UK .
- List of countries whose passport holders do not require visas to enter Ireland .
- "Global Ranking - Visa Restriction Index 2017" (PDF). Henley & Partners. Retrieved 14 March 2017.