Sri Lankan passport
|Sri Lankan passport n4047382|
The front cover of a non-biometric Sri Lankan passport.
|Issued by||Sri Lanka|
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Sri Lankan citizenship|
|Expiration||10 years for adults and 3 years for minors (below 16 years of age).|
Immigration and Emigration Department has begun to issue biometric passports according to international standards with effect from 10 August 2015
- Diplomatic Passport (Light Red diplomats, top ranking government officials and diplomatic couriers. ) - Issued to Sri Lankan
- Official Passport (Red ) - Issued to individuals representing the Sri Lankan government on official/state business
- Ordinary Passport (Maroon
) - Issued for ordinary travel, such as vacations and business trips
- Valid for all countries
- Valid for specified countries
- Emergency Certificate (Silver
- Valid for India and Nepal (for Pilgrimage and medical treatment)
- Non Machine Readable Passports (Brown ) - Issued by Sri Lanka Missions under special circumstances
All newly issued passports for adults will have a maximum validity of ten years from the date of issue under the Immigrants and Emigrants Act, regardless of when the previous passport (if any) was issued.
Cost and Validity
(10 working days)
|Ordinary Passport||For adults||All countries||රු.3,000||රු.10000||10 years|
|For Minors (below 16 years of age)||All countries||රු.2000||රු.5000||3 years|
|Official Passport||All countries||රු.3000||රු.10000||10 years|
|Emergency Certificate||India & Nepal||රු.500||N/A||2 years (can be extended for further two years)|
|Non Machine Readable Passport & Temporary Travel Document||N/A||N/A||රු.2500||valid only for one way travel to Sri Lanka|
Specified countries* = Bahrain, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, India, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Maldives, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
In case of a lost passport, a fine of රු.10,000 charge in addition to the passport fee.
Identity information page
The Sri Lankan passport includes the following data:
- Photograph of the holder (digital image printed on page)
- Type ('PA' or 'PB' for Ordinary Passport, 'PC' for Official Passport and 'PD' for Diplomatic Passport)
- Country code ('LKA' for Sri Lanka)
- Passport No. (Starting with 'M' or 'N' for Ordinary Passport, 'OL' for Official Passport and 'D' for Diplomatic Passport)
- Other Names
- National Status ('SRI LANKAN')
- Date of Birth (DD/MM/YYYY)
- Sex 'M' for Male and 'F' for Female
- Place of Birth (only the city or town is listed)
- Date of Issue (DD/MM/YYYY)
- Date of Expiry (DD/MM/YYYY)
- ID No. (National Identity Card Number)
- Holder's Sign (digital image printed on page)
- Authority Colombo (digital image printed on page)
The information page ends with the Machine Readable Zone.
From the 10 August 2015, all newly issued passports are to be enabled with Biometric interfaces to allow holders to be applicable for 'Visa Waiver Programmes' (VWP) available in certain countries. The passport is valid like the Machine Readable PP for 10 yrs. from issuance.
Citizens interested to receive this or renew their existing passport are to be photographed by authorized photo studios around the island and be present for "fingerprint scanning' at the office in Colombo and other major cities. A list of authorized studios are available here.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: (as at 10/08/2015)
- All passport applicants irrespective of age should use passport Application Form K 35A
- All passport applicants including children should provide digital photograph through Authorized photo studio
- Fingerprints will be collected from all applicants above 16 years at the head office and three regional offices in Sri Lanka
- Applicants submitting passport applications through Sri Lanka Diplomatic Missions overseas could do so without providing fingerprints and digital photograph. Holders of such passports could provide fingerprints on their first arrival in Sri Lanka at the head office or any of the regional offices of the Department.
- Inclusion of children in parents passport will NO longer be allowed and children will be issued separate passports
- Children below 16 years of age whose passports are issued after 10 August 2015 are required to provide fingerprints to the Department upon reaching the age of 16 years. Holders of such passports living abroad should do so upon first arrival in Sri Lanka.
- No Emergency Certificate (EC) shall be issued for applicants below 60 years
Sri Lankan Passport for a Dual Citizen
Sri Lanka allows dual citizenship. However, under the 19th amendment of that country's constitution. An individual who holds citizenship in both Sri Lanka and another country can obtain a Sri Lankan passport.
An individual who holds citizenship in both Sri Lanka and another country can obtain a Sri Lankan passport by submitting the following documents.
(Download printable versions of the Application Forms here)
- Completed Application Form
- Photo studio acknowledgement
- Dual Citizenship Certificate with a photocopy. (A copy of payment receipt for citizenship Registration may be accepted)
- Foreign passport with any Sri Lankan passport if there is (with photocopy of Bio data pages)
- National Identity Card with a photocopy.
- Birth Certificate with a photocopy.
For further information: click here to be redirected to the department's website
Note of passport
The passport contains the following note :
|“||මෙය දරන්නාට අවහිර බාධාවලින් තොරව නිදහසේ ගමන් කිරීමට සහ අවශ්යවන ආධාර ද ආරක්ෂාව ද සලස්වා දෙන ලෙසත් අදාල වගකීම් දරන සියලු දෙනාගෙන්ම ශ්රී ලංකා ප්රජාතාන්ත්රික සමාජවාදී ජනරජයේ ජනාධිපති ඉල්ලුම්කර ද අපේක්ෂාකර ද සිටී.||”|
|“||இதனை வைத்திருப்பவர் தங்குதடையின்றி இலகுவாகப் பிரயாணஞ் செய்ய அனுமதிக்குமாறும் வேண்டிய உதவியையும், பாதுகாப்பையும் அளிக்குமாறும் இது தொடர்புடைய சகலரையும் இலங்கைச் ஜனநாயக சோசலிசக் குடியரசின் ஜனாதிபதி அவர்கள் வேண்டிக் கொள்கிறார்கள்.||”|
|“||The President of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka requests and requires all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.||”|
In 2016, Sri Lankan citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 40 countries and territories, ranking the Sri Lankan passport 96th in the world according to the Visa Restrictions Index.
- "Sri Lankan Govt. begins to issue biometric passports". 10 August 2015.