The front cover of a contemporary Azerbaijani biometric passport (2013).
The data page of the latest version of the Azerbaijani biometric passport.
|Date first issued||28 May 1991 (current passport)
2012 (biometric passports)
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Azerbaijani citizenship|
1 year period for children under age of 13 years period – for children under age of 3
5 years period – for children under age of 3-18
10 years period – for persons above the age of 18
The Azerbaijani passport is issued to the citizens of Azerbaijan for the purpose of international travel. Ordinary passport is valid for 10 years (since 2007) from the date of issue and contains 34 visa pages. Passport content is printed both in Azerbaijani and in English.
According to the 2012 publication of the Visa Restricitions Index, citizens of Azerbaijan can travel to 57 countries without a visa or by obtaining a visa at border crossings.
Types of passports
- Ordinary passport: Issued to normal citizens.
- Ordinary passports are issued in two different lengths of validity: five and ten years. Azerbaijani citizens up to 18 years of age can only be issued a five-year passport, while those who are 18 years of age or older ten-year (Green) passport.
- Official passport: Issued to public servants.
- Diplomatic passport: Issued to diplomats and their family members and government high-level officials.
Coat of arms of Azerbaijan is printed in relief in the center of the front cover with "Azərbaycan Respublikası" in Azeri and "The Republic of Azerbaijan" in English above the coat of arms, as well as, "PASPORT" and "PASSPORT" printed below.
The passport is 88 x 125 mm with 54 pages in total.
In line with the passport type, the samples of Azerbaijani passports can be of the following colors:
- Civil passport-dark green
- Official passport-dark blue
- Diplomatic passport-dark red
Azerbaijani passports are issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Azerbaijan. They include the following data on the information page:
- Photograph of the holder (digital image printed on page)
- Type (P)
- Passport number
- Given names
- Date of birth
- Place of birth (only the city or town is listed, even if born outside of Republic of Azerbaijan.)
- Date of issue
- Date of expiry
- Holder's signature (digital image printed on page)
- Machine Readable Zone starting with P<AZE
New biometric Azerbaijani passports were announced on 17 July 2012.
New passport booklet design is in compliance with ICAO regulation document 9303. E-passport sign indicating the presence of RFID chip, is placed on the cover of the passport, as well as above the photo of the holder on the main rigid information page File:The data page of the Azerbaijani biometric passport.jpg which contains the RFID chip as well as a machine readable zone at the bottom of the page. The overall design of the new booklet, apart from the above mentioned, does not differ from the previous non-biometric booklet design.