Central South University
Central South University seal
|Established||29 April 2000|
|Location||Changsha, Hunan, People's Republic of China
|Campus||Urban, 381 ha|
Central South University (CSU) is a national university of China located in Changsha, Hunan province, central south of People's Republic of China. CSU was established in April 2000 on the basis of the amalgamation of the three former individual universities.
It was established in April 2000 through the amalgation of three former universities: Central South University of technology, Hunan Medical University and Changsha Railway University.
CSU is a comprehensive research university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. CSU is among the first tier universities in China and also a member of the Project 211 and the Project 985 with strength in science engineering and medical science. According to the newest data in Chinese University Ranking, CSU ranks 16th out of 2000 universities in China.
It has over 20,000 students.
CSU offers 83 bachelor's degrees, 282 master's drgees and 142 doctorate degrees from these 31 colleges and institutes and a graduate school:
- Literature and Journalism
- Foreign Languages
- Architecture and Art
- Business School
- Law School
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Physics and Electronics
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Energy Science and Engineering
- Material Science and Engineering
- Powder Metallurgy Research Institute
- Traffic and Transportation Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Metallurgy and Environment
- Geoscience and Environmental Engineering
- Info-physics and Geomatics Engineering
- Resources and Safety Engineering
- Minerals Processing and Bioengineering
- Information Science and Engineering
- Xiang-ya School of Medicine
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Xiang Ya Nursing School
- Public Health
- Basic Medical Sciences
- School of Life Sciences
- Research Department of Physical Education
- School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Aier School of Ophthalmology
The three national key laboratories:
- State Key Laboratory for Powder Metallurgy of China
- State Key Laboratory of Medical Genetics of China
- State Key Laboratory of High Performance Complex Manufacturing of China
The six campus：
- Main campus，lays dormitory and teaching building for junior undergraduates and postgraduates of most engineering schools of which office building locate there too.There is also two national key laboratories
- South campus，lays dormitory for all freshman,and postgraduates of all humanities schools of which office building locates there too
- New campus,teaching building for all freshman and all humanities,social,scientific postgraduates，are locate here.The library and office building of scientific and social schools also locates here
- Old Hsiangya，lays dormitory and teaching building for medical postgraduates，with Xiangya Hospital and State Key Laboratory of Medical Genetics of China
- Railway campus，lays dormitory and teaching building for junior undergraduates and postgraduates of civil engineering，traffic engineering，software engineering，and architecture.their school office building also locates here，with a library of civil and transportation
- New Hsiangya，lays dormitory and teaching building for medical undergraduates，with Third Xiangya Hospital and medical library
Faculties and Students
More than 33,000 full-time undergraduates and 12,000 graduate students attend Central South University. Of the total number attending CSU, approximately 1,000 are foreign students from around the world. The faculty-student ratio is about 1:8.
CSU ranks 15th among 751 universities in "Academic Achievements Ranking". In 2004, Prof. Huang Bo-Yun was awarded the 1st prize of the National Awards for Technical Invention for his significant contribution to research project "Preparation Technology of High-performance Carbon-Carbon Composite Braking Materials in Aviation" and filled the 6-year long vacancy for this prize.
- Wang Chuanfu, Founder and CEO of BYD
- Liang Wengen, Founder and Chairman of Sany Group
- Zhiwu Chen, Professor of Finance at Yale School of Management and an influential public intellectual in China
CSU covers an area of 3,810,000 square meters and has the total floor space of 2,330,000 square meters. The library of CSU have a collection of more than 4,390,000 volumes. library, academic centers, teaching and research buildings, stadiums, standard student dormitories, activity centers, swimming pool, hospital, bank, post office, dining halls are located in the campus.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central South University.|