Zendaya in 2016
|Born||Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman
September 1, 1996
Oakland, California, U.S.
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman (born September 1, 1996), known mononymously as Zendaya (//), is an American actress, singer, and dancer. From 2010 to 2013, she starred in the Disney Channel sitcom Shake It Up as Rocky Blue. She has starred in two films and played one of the lead roles in the film Frenemies as Halley Brandon. She voiced Fern in the Pixie Hollow Games. She appeared in Good Luck Charlie as Rocky Blue and in a Good Luck Charlie and Shake It Up crossover title Charlie Shakes It Up. She appeared on PrankStars as herself in the episode "Walk The Prank" and on A.N.T. Farm as Sequoia Jones in the episode "Creative ConsultANT."
Zendaya signed a deal with Hollywood Records on August 8, 2012, and started recording songs for her debut album on August 12, 2012. She released a single from an independent label called "Swag It Out" and another single with Bella Thorne called "Watch Me," which is featured on the Break It Down album. On March 20, 2012, Zendaya released the song "Something to Dance For" as promotional single from Shake It Up: Live 2 Dance soundtrack.
Zendaya was born in Oakland, California, the daughter of Claire Marie (Stoermer) and Kazembe Ajamu (born Samuel David Coleman). Her father is African-American, with Arkansan roots; her mother is white, with German and Scottish ancestry.
2009–13: Shake It Up and Zendaya
Zendaya began her professional career working as a fashion model for Macy's, Mervyns and Old Navy. She was featured in an iCarly toys ad. She also appeared as a back-up dancer in a Sears commercial. In 2009, she was a featured performer in the Kidz Bop music video for its cover of the song "Hot n Cold", which was released on Kidz Bop 15. She auditioned in November 2009 for the role of CeCe Jones to join the cast of Dance Dance Chicago (later changed to Shake It Up!). For her audition, she performed Michael Jackson's "Leave Me Alone". In 2011 Zendaya release "Swag It Out", a promotional independent single. The song was composed by Bobby Brackins and produced by Glenn A. Foster. She also starred in the book trailer for "From Bad To Cursed" by Katie Alender. In the same year, she released "Watch Me," featuring Bella Thorne, on June 21. The song peaked at 86 on the Billboard Hot 100. The second season of Shake It Up was announced on March 16, 2011, and premiered on September 18, 2011. On June 5, 2011, Shake It Up had a crossover episode with Good Luck Charlie. Zendaya hosted Make Your Mark: Ultimate Dance Off 2011.
Her first movie role was in the 2012 film, Frenemies, a Disney Channel Original Movie. On February 29, 2012, "Something to Dance For" was released as promotional single for Live 2 Dance. For the soundtrack, Zendaya also recorded three other songs: "Made In Japan," "Same Heart", and "Fashion In Krytonite", released as promotional single. On September 2, 2012, she signed to Hollywood Records. In October, Zendaya performed at the Teen Music Festival and at the Operation Smile benefit. In February 2013, Zendaya was announced as one of the celebrities who will compete on season 16 of Dancing with the Stars. At age 16, she was the youngest contestant ever to participate on the show, before Willow Shields succeeded her at age 14 on season 20. She was partnered up with professional dancer Valentin Chmerkovskiy. In May, the couple finished as runner-ups behind Kellie Pickler and Derek Hough. Her self-titled debut album was released on September 17, 2013. It was preceded by the single "Replay", released on July 16, 2013. The song was written by Tiffany Fred and Paul "Phamous" Shelton. In June 2013, Coleman wrapped up filming for the music video. On July 25, the Disney Channel confirmed that Shake It Up will be canceled after the end of the third season.
2014–present: K.C. Undercover
In 2014, Zendaya was cast as 16-year-old Zoey Stevens, the lead character in the Disney Channel Original Movie Zapped, whose "smart phone begins to somehow control all the boys around her". In late 2013, Zendaya was cast as the lead in a new Disney Channel pilot called Super Awesome Katy. It was ordered to series by Disney Channel in May 2014, with the series now under the title K.C. Undercover, and with Zendaya's character now named K.C. Cooper rather than Katy Cooper. K.C. Undercover premiered on Disney Channel on January 18, 2015, and was renewed for a second season in May 2015. In March 2016 Zendaya was cast in the upcoming film Spider-Man: Homecoming, playing a character named Michelle; the film is scheduled to be released in July 2017.
In September 2012, Zendaya was featured along with rapper Lil Wayne and NBA player LeBron James in a performance of "Scream and Shout" by Will.I.Am and Britney Spears for a television commercial for Beats by Dr. Dre Color.
In 2013 Zendaya started work on a clothing line, inspired on her clothes on Shake It Up, the Shake It Up Dance Clothing Line by Zendaya. The collection features fun clothes for active girls, legwarmers, shorts, jackets, headbands and athletic apparel and accessories. Summer 2015 with Carmex, Zendaya announced that she would be launching her own clothing line called Daya by Zendaya.
In 2014, Zendaya was a guest judge on an episode of Project Runway: Under the Gunn. In this episode, the designers (contestants) were given the challenge of creating an outfit for Zendaya to wear in an upcoming concert performance. In 2016, she was a guest judge on the season finale of Project Runway season 15.
Zendaya spent three years of dancing in a dance group called Future Shock Oakland. The group did hip hop and hula dances when she was eight. Her interests include singing, dancing, and designing clothes.
|2011||Pixie Hollow Games||Fern||Voice role|
|2017||The Greatest Showman||Post-production|
|2010–2013||Shake It Up||Rocky Blue||Lead role|
|2011||Good Luck Charlie||Rocky Blue||Episode: "Charlie Shakes It Up"|
|2011||PrankStars||Herself||Episode: "Walk the Prank"|
|2012||A.N.T. Farm||Sequoia Jones||Episode: "Creative consultANT"|
|2012||Frenemies||Halley Brandon||Television film|
|2013||Dancing with the Stars||Herself / Contestant||Season 16|
|2014||Zapped||Zoey Stevens||Television film|
|2015–present||K.C. Undercover||K.C. Cooper||Lead role|
- Zendaya (2013)
- Swag It Out Tour (2012–14)
Awards and nominations
|2011||Young Artist Award||Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series
(shared with Bella Thorne, Davis Cleveland, Roshon Fegan, Adam Irigoyen, Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine)
|Shake It Up||Nominated|||
|2012||Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a TV Series – Leading Young Actress||Shake It Up||Nominated|||
|Young Artist Award||Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series
(shared with Bella Thorne, Davis Cleveland, Roshon Fegan, Adam Irigoyen, Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine)
|Shake It Up||Nominated|||
|NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series or Special||Shake It Up||Nominated|||
|2013||Young Artist Awards||Best Performance in a TV Movie, MiniSeries, Special or Pilot - Leading Young Actress||Frenemies||Nominated|||
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Video||"Fashion Is My Kryptonite"||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music: Breakout Artist||Herself||Nominated|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Candie's Style Icon||Herself||Won|||
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Style||Herself||Won|||
|2015||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Comedy||K.C. Undercover||Nominated|
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Style||Herself||Nominated|||
|2016||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Style||Herself||Nominated|||
|Kids Choice Awards||Favorite Female TV Star – Kids' Show||K.C. Undercover||Won|||
|2017||Kids Choice Awards||Favorite Female TV Star||K.C. Undercover||Won|||
- Takeda, Allison (June 9, 2015). "Zendaya Gets to the Heart of Her Family Tree for Immigrant Heritage Month". Us Weekly.
- "Zendaya - Credits". allmusic by Rovi. 2012. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- "After Selena Gomez's Exit and a Thawing 'Frozen,' Is Disney Headed for a Cold Spell?". Billboard.
- Phares, Heather. "Zendaya Biography". AllMusic.com (Rovi). Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- Kim, Kristen Yoonsoo (December 2015). "REAL GOOD - The multitalented teenager began her career as a Disney star. But don't expect Zendaya to have a Miley moment anytime soon.". Complex magazine (Canada).
- "Zendaya is Raquel "Rocky" Blue". Disney Channel Medianet. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
- "Kidz Bop – 'Hot n Cold' Music Video". KidzBop.com. Retrieved January 1, 2011.
- Zendaya Coleman Audition - Shake It Up. YouTube.
- Shady, Justin (October 22, 2010). "Coleman & Thorne: Duo 'Shake Up' Disney". Variety. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- "Swag It Out – Single by Zendaya". iTunes. United States. Retrieved May 30, 2011.
- Roberts, Kayleigh (June 14, 2011). "'From Bad To Cursed' Book Trailer Gives Us The Creeps — In A Good Way". MTV News.
- "Rising Star: Tiny Dancer". Diablo Magazine. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Amy Sciarretto. "Zendaya Signs to Hollywood Records".
- "Zendaya Coleman Performing At The Los Angeles Sports Arena On October 21, 2012 To Benefit Operation Smile".
- "Dorothy Hamill and Andy Dick among 'Dancing' stars". New York Post. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Garibaldi, Christina (May 24, 2013). "Zendaya's 'Crying' Fans 'So Sad' About 'Dancing With The Stars' Loss". MTV News. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Zendaya Coleman delights in her newfound fame as she hits the talk show circuit after coming second on DWTS". Dailymail. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Dancing with the Stars' Season 16 finale: Kellie Pickler edges out Zendaya". New York Daily News. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- ""Shake It Up" Canceled After Season 3". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "'Shake It Up' Canceled: Disney Channel Will End Zendaya And Bella Thorne's Show After Season 3". The Huffington Post. July 25, 2013. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Zendaya to Star In 'Zapped' Slated to Premiere on Disney Channels Around the World in 2014" (Press release). Disney Channel. August 23, 2013. Retrieved June 21, 2016 – via TV by the Numbers.
- Ng, Philiana (November 6, 2013). "'Shake It Up' Star Zendaya to Topline Disney Channel Spy Pilot (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
Super Awesome Katy centers on 16-year-old Katy Cooper (Zendaya), an outspoken and confident technology wiz and skilled black belt, who discovers that both her parents are spies who expect her to follow in their footsteps.
- Ng, Philiana (May 8, 2014). "Disney Channel Orders Zendaya's 'K.C. Undercover' to Series". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
The cable network has given a series order to spy comedy K.C. Undercover (previously Super Awesome Katy), starring the Shake It Up alum.
- "New Series 'K.C. Undercover' Starring Zendaya to Premiere Sunday, January 18 on Disney Channel" (Press release). Disney Channel. December 11, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2016 – via TV by the Numbers.
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (May 15, 2015). "Disney's K.C. Undercover Renewed for Season 2 — Watch a Wild New Trailer". TVLine. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (March 7, 2016). "Zendaya Lands A Lead In Spider-Man Reboot At Sony And Marvel Studios". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on March 7, 2017. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- Dinh, James (November 21, 2012). "Britney Spears And will.i.am's 'Scream And Shout' Video To Premiere On 'X Factor'". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Between U and Me: How to Rock Your Tween Years with Style and Confidence". Amazon. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Zendaya Coleman's Book "Between U And Me" Arrives August 6, 2013". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "CeCe And Rocky "Shake It Up" D-Signed Collection At Target". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- ""Shake It Up" Dance Clothing Line". Zendaya.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "daya by zendaya". www.nordstrom.com. Nordstrom. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Zendaya Wants Your Shoes to Feel Luxurious, Even if You Can't Afford Louboutins". www.instyle.com. instyle. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- Kiesewetter, John (14 February 2014). "Asha Daniels wins $5,000 on 'Under the Gunn'". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- Rieselman, Deborah. "DAAP grad designs winning fashions while 'Under the Gunn'". University of Cincinnati. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- Stone, Natalie (8 September 2016). "Zendaya to guest judge on project runway season 15". People. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- name Cover Girl Interview July 8, 2011[dead link]
- "About Zendaya". Zendaya.com. Archived from the original on March 19, 2011. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- "Zendaya's Flashback Friday (Video)". Zendaya.com. January 27, 2012. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- Coggan, Devan (June 20, 2016). "Chris Pratt, Tom Holland cross paths as Spider-Man: Homecoming starts filming". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on June 20, 2016. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- "32nd Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards.
- "33rd Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards. Archived from the original on April 4, 2012. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- "Zendaya At The 2012 NAACP Image Awards". Zendaya.com. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- "34th Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards.
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "Kids' Choice Awards: The Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. March 11, 2017. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zendaya.|