Ethnic groups in West Asia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The ethnic groups in West Asia fall into several categories:
- The Middle East proper is dominated by the Arabs. There are various other ethnic groups, the Iranian peoples (primarily the Kurds), Turkic peoples (such as the Syrian and Iraqi Turkmens), Assyrians, Arameans and Jews.
- Iran is mostly populated by Persians alongside a large minority of Turkic peoples (notably Azerbaijanis and Turkmens), Kurds, Balochs, Arabs and other minorities such as Armenians, Pashtuns and Assyrians.
- Anatolia is mostly populated by Turks, besides minorities (notably Kurds).
- Cyprus is populated by mainly by Greek and Turkish Cypriots.
- The Caucasus has many ethnicities, see peoples of the Caucasus.
Arabian peninsula, the Levant and Mesopotamia
Ethnic map of Asia Minor and Caucasus in 1914