List of former Christian Science churches, societies and buildings
This is a list of former Christian Science churches, societies, and buildings. Following its early meteoric rise, the Christian Science Church suffered a steep decline in membership in the second half of the twentieth century. Though the Church is prohibited by the Manual of The Mother Church from publishing membership figures, the number of branch churches in the United States has fallen steadily since World War II. A 1992 study of the Christian Research Journal found that church membership had fallen from 269,000 in the 1930s to about 150,000. Some believe membership has fallen further since then, however current estimates for church membership vary widely, from under 100,000 to 600,000.However, assuming 1,000 churches and 50 members per church (from general observation) gives would set active membership at 50,000.
Dr. Stephen Barrett has reported that since 1971, the number of practitioners and teachers listed in the Christian Science Journal has fallen from about 5,000 to about 1,160 and the number of churches has fallen from about 1,800 to about 1,000.
The purpose of this list is to identify and quantify this decline in Christian Science institutions and those related to Christian Science, as well as catalog the buildings and spaces once used by the Christian Science Church. While it is impossible to get accurate membership figures, it is possible to determine the decline in institutions through official church publications and other sources.
Former Christian Science churches, societies and buildings in Canada and the United States
- In the status column Relocated indicates that a church or society sold its building but did not dissolve or merge. Merged indicates that a church or society merged with another one and relocated.
- The NRHP column is for National Register of Historic Places or state or local listings with the highest one for a property being indicated as follows: Yes = NRHP; CP = contributing property in an NRHP district, State =state, territorial, etc., listing; Local = county, city, etc. listing; and No = none of these listings. Country = CAN for Canada or USA for the United States
|Name||Image||Location||County or equivalent||State, province, etc.||Status||Description||Architect||Style||Date||NRHP, etc.||Country|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Juneau, Alaska)||430 Main St. corner 5th St.
|Alaska||Dissolved||Sold to State of Alaska, March 2010. Early sale to Juneau Unitarian Universalist Fellowship fell through||1914 or earlier||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Birmingham, Alabama)||3116 Highland Avenue, South
|Jefferson County||Alabama||Relocated||Sold to neighboring Independent Presbyterian Church. First Church now meets at 209 Oxmoor Circle, Suite 701, Homewood, Alabama||?||Georgian Revival||?||No||USA|
|Christian Science Society (Gadsden, Alabama)||806 Walnut Street
|Etowah County||Alabama||Relocated||Being sold to Gadsen Gallery.Cyndi Nelson, Walnut Gallery finds sanctuary in century-old church, Gadsden Times, July 29, 2013 accessed July 31, 2013||?||Carpenter Gothic||1913 ?||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Phoenix, Arizona)||924 N. 1st St. Phoenix
||Maricopa County||Arizona||Relocated||Now Roosevelt Community Church. First Church is now located at 830 North Central Avenue.||Fitzhugh & Byron||Classical Revival||1925||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Little Rock, Arkansas)||2000 South Louisiana Street, Little Rock
||Pulaski County||Arkansas||Dissolved||became the Little Rock Community Church||Almand, John Parks||Mixed||1919||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Lethbridge).||||1203 4th Avenue, South
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (North Vancouver).||185 Keith Road, North Vancouver||British Columbia||Dissolved||Now North Shore Bethel Christian Mennonite Brethren Church||Honeyman and Curtis||Classical Revival||1925||Local||CAN|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Vancouver).||1160 West Georgia Street, Vancouver||British Columbia||Dissolved||Now Coastal Church||Matheson and De Guerre||Colonial Revival||1918||Local||CAN|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Long Beach, California).||440 Elm Ave, Long Beach||Los Angeles County||California||Relocated||Now First Christian Church. First Church of Christ, Scientist, now holds services at 3629 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach||Grey, Elmer||Classical Revival||1913||Local||USA|
|Second Church of Christ, Scientist (Long Beach, California)||655 Cedar Ave., Long Beach
||Los Angeles County||California||Dissolved||now the Second Samoan Congregational Church||Shields, Fisher and Lake||Classical Revival||1924||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles, California)||1366 South Alvarado Street, Los Angeles||Los Angeles County||California||Dissolved||Now the Iglesia Adventista Central. For a time in the 1970s it served as the Los Angeles branch of the ill-fated Peoples Temple led by the Rev. Jim Jones.||Grey, Elmer||Mixed||1912||CP||USA|
|Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles, California)||5206 N. Figueroa Street, Highland Park, Los Angeles||Los Angeles County||California||Dissolved||Now Mystic Dharma Buddhist Temple. Fourth Church met for a time at the Highland Park Ebell Clubhouse before dissolving.||Milwaukee Building Company, aka Meyer & Holler||Classical Revival||1924||USA|
|Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles, California)||7107 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles||Los Angeles County||California||Relocated||Now Mosaic, a Baptist church. Fifth Church meets at 5850 West 3rd St.,
|Twelfth Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles, California)||14654 Hamlin Street, Van Nuys, Los Angeles||Los Angeles County||California||Dissolved||Now Canoga Park Seventh Day Adventist Church||Meyer & Holler||Spanish Mission||1931-1932||USA|
|Thirteenth Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles, California)||1750 North Edgemont Street, Los Feliz, Los Angeles||Los Angeles County||California||Relocated||Now a Full Gospel Church. Thirteenth Church meets at 1776 Vermont Avenue.||Allison & Allison||Italian Revival||193o||USA|
|Second Church of Christ, Scientist (San Francisco, California)||651 Dolores St., San Francisco||San Francisco County||California||Relocated||Sold to developer. Second Church now meets at 2287 Mission St.||Crim, William H.||Beaux Arts and Classical Revival||1905||No||USA|
|Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (San Francisco, California)||300 Funston Ave., San Francisco||San Francisco County||California||Delisted by The Mother Church||Now houses the Internet Archive||Werner, Carl||Classical Revival||1913||No||USA|
|Twelfth Church of Christ, Scientist (San Francisco, California)||60 Onondaga Ave. San Francisco||San Francisco County||California||Dissolved||Now the Croatian American Cultural Center||USA|
|Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (Denver, Colorado)||3101 W. 31st Ave, Denver
||Denver County||Colorado||Dissolved||Now the Zen Center of Denver||Hoyt and Hoyt||Renaissance||1921||Yes||USA|
|Second Church of Christ, Scientist (Hartford, Connecticut)||129 Lafayette Street Hartford||Hartford County||Connecticut||Relocated||Now owned by the State of Connecticut. Second Church holds services in its Reading Room.||Allen, Isaac A., and Son||Georgian Revival||1927||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Cocoa, Florida)||121 Derby Street Cocoa||Brevard County||Florida||Relocated||Building at 121 Derby Street, bought in 1955 from the Seventh-Day Adventists, is now the Historic Derby Street Chapel. First Church relocated to 235 Indian River Drive.||Russell, Alonzo Bruce||Craftsman||1924||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Jacksonville, Florida)||101 W 1st St (formerly 1116 N Laura St), Jacksonville||Duval County||Florida||Dissolved||Voluntarily dissolved August 10, 1993 Its former building is now the Jacksonville branch of the Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum||Marsh and Saxelbye||Classical Revival||1921||CP||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Surfside, Florida)||228 89th St, corner of Harding Ave., Surfside||Miami-Dade County||Florida||Delisted, withdrew from The Mother Church, changed name and relocated.||Current name is Church of Christ Jesus and Mary Baker Eddy Christian Science, Inc. Services are held at Christian Science Endtime Center in Denver, Colorado Its former building is now the Casa de Jesus.||Florida modern||1953||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Orlando, Florida)||24 North Rosalind Avenue Orlando||Orange County||Florida||Relocated||Now St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church. First Church relocated to 915 North Ferncreek .||Dunham, George Foote||Classical Revival||1926-1927||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (St. Petersburg, Florida)||253 Fifth Avenue, North St. Petersburg||Pinellas County||Florida||Relocated||Now the Palladium at St. Petersburg College. First Church is relocated to 6333 1st Street, Northeast.||Cheney, Howard Lovewell||Romanesque Revival||1925||CP||USA|
|Second Church of Christ, Scientist (St. Petersburg, Florida)||6099 Central Avenue St. Petersburg||Pinellas County||Florida||Merged||Building at 6099 Central Avenue is now FreeFall Theatre. Second Church merged with First Church at 6333 1st Street, Northeast.||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Huntington, Indiana)||815 Warren St., Huntington||Huntington County||Indiana||Dissolved||Now the Dan Quayle Center||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Kokomo, Indiana)||300 E. Mulberry Street Kokomo||Howard County||Indiana||Relocated||Now the Sycamore Reformed Presbyterian Church. CS Society meets at 1521 W. Lincoln||1924||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Muncie, Indiana)||326 W Charles Street Muncie||Delaware County||Indiana||Dissolved||Now the Rainbow Cathedral, which wants to sell the building||1929||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Chicago, Illinois)||4017 S. Drexel Blvd, Chicago||Cook County||Illinois||Dissolved||Now the Grant Memorial AME Church||Beman, Solon Spencer||1897||No||USA|
|Third Church of Christ, Scientist (Chicago, Illinois)||2151 W Washington Blvd, Chicago||Cook County||Illinois||Dissolved||Now the Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church||Garden, Hugh M.G.||1921||Local||USA|
|Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist (Chicago, Illinois)||4840 S. Dorchester Ave., Chicago||Cook County||Illinois||Dissolved||Later the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church and Salem Baptist Church. For sale as of Feb., 2013||Beman, Solon Spencer||1904||No||USA|
|Sixteeneth Church of Christ, Scientist (Chicago, Illinois)||7201 N. Ashland Blvd., Chicago||Cook County||Illinois||Relocated||Now the Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church of the East, Saint George Parish. Sixteenth Church is now located at 7036 N. Ridge Avenue ||Cheney, Howard Lovewell||Classical Revival||1924||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Riverside, Illinois)||135 Longcommon Road, Riverside||Cook County||Illinois||Dissolved||Now a private residence.||Cheney, Howard Lovewell||Prairie School||1920||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Rock Island, Illinois)||700 22nd Street, Rock Island||Rock Island County||Illinois||Dissolved||Now a Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum ||Jones, William C.||Palladian||1914-1915||CP||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Anita, Iowa)||812 3rd Street, Anita||Cass County||Iowa||Dissolved||Now the Anita Public Library||1931||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Mason City, Iowa)||23 3rd St, N.W., Mason City||Cerro Gordo County||Iowa||Dissolved||Now professional offices||Smith, Clyde W.||1928||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Fairfield, Iowa)||300 East Burlington Ave, Fairfield||Jefferson County||Iowa||Dissolved||Now St. Gabriel and All Angels Liberal Catholic Church||1927||Yes eligible||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Marshalltown, Iowa)||412 W Main St, Marshalltown||Marshall County||Iowa||Dissolved||Bulldozed in August, 1985.||Garden, Hugh M.G.||Prairie School||1903||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Davenport, Iowa)||636 Kirkwood Boulevard Davenport
||Scott County||Iowa||Relocated||Now the Harvest Time Family Worship Center. First Church relocated to 3705 Fairhaven Road.||Clausen and Clausen||Classical Revival||1912||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Shreveport, Louisiana)||3201 Centenary Boulevard Shreveport||Caddo Parrish||Louisiana||Relocated||Now a Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum. First Church relocated to 3424 Line Avenue||?||?||?||?||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Atchison, Kansas)||401 Santa Fe St., Atchison||Atchison County||Kansas||Dissolved||Now the Presbyterian Community Center and is home to Theatre Atchison.||?||Classical Revival||1913||No||USA|
|Christian Science Church (Chatham, Massachusetts)||805 Main Street, Chatham||Barnstable County||Massachusetts||Relocated||Now the Unitarian Universalist Meeting House of Chatham. There is a CS Journal listing for First Church, Harwich-Chatham, located in Harwich Port.||Unknown||USA|
|Mary Baker Eddy Home||400 Beacon Street, Chestnut Hill, Newton||Middlesex County||Massachusetts||Dissolved||Sold to the Longyear Foundation, which is now restoring it.||Peabody and Stearns, 1880; Solon Spencer Beman, 1907||1880||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Newton, Massachusetts)||391 Walnut St., Newtonville, Newton||Middlesex County||Massachusetts||Relocated||Now Oxford House apartments. Building at 391 Walnut Street was sold for $1,050,000 to be converted into apartments. First Church now meets at 1141 Walnut St, Newton Highlands||Densmore, LeClear and Robbins||Georgian Revival||1940||CP||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Dedham, Massachusetts)||619 High Street, Dedham||Norfolk County||Massachusetts||Dissolved||Now professional offices||Georgian Revival||1939||USA|
|First Church of Christ Scientist (Battle Creek, Michigan)||226 Capital Ave NE Battle Creek||Calhoun, County||Michigan||Relocated||Now The Potters House Church. First Church is now located at 99 North Ave.||USA|
|First Church of Christ Scientist (Detroit)||4743 Cass Avenue, Detroit||Wayne, County||Michigan||Relocated||Sold in 1961 to Wayne State University and now houses the university's Hillberry Theatre||Smith, Hinchman & Grylls||Neoclassical||1917||CP||USA|
|First Church of Christ Scientist (Kalamazoo, Michigan)||Corner of South & Park sts. Kalamazoo||Kalamazoo, County||Michigan||Relocated||Since 2006 owned by Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, which has rented it out to churches. First Church relocated to 1225 Portage Street||Jones, William C.||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist, 1897 (Minneapolis, Minnesota)||614-620 15th Street, East, Minneapolis||Hennepin County||Minnesota||Relocated later dissolved||Now the Physical Theatre Lab which uses the address of 616 E 15TH St. In 1914 First Church moved to 2315 Nicollet Ave, but later dissolved||Bowler, Septimus J.||Mixed||1897||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist, 1914 (Minneapolis, Minnesota)||2315 Nicollet Ave (Nicollet Ave & E 24th St) Minneapolis||Hennepin County||Minnesota||Dissolved||Now the Minneapolis First Seventh-day Adventist Church.||Beman, Solon Spencer||1914||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Fairmont, Minnesota)||222 E Blue Earth Ave, Fairmont||Martin County||Minnesota||Dissolved||Now the Red Rock Center for the Arts. Church sold building in 1937 and moved to a second building at 205 Albion Avenue, but later dissolved.||Jones, Harry Wild||Richardsonian Romanesque||1898||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist, Albion Avenue (Fairmont, Minnesota)||205 Albion Ave, Fairmont||Martin County||Minnesota||Dissolved||Now the Lakeview Funeral Home.||Faulkner, Charles Draper||Georgian Revival||1937||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Duluth, Minnesota)||902 East 1st St, Duluth||St. LouisCounty||Minnesota||Relocated||Now a Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum||1912||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Vicksburg, Mississippi)||206 Main Street, Vicksburg||Adams County||Mississippi||Dissolved||As of 1973, the church was located in the former Commercial Bank, which was declared a National Historic Landmark that year. The church is no longer in existence.||Unknown||1833||Yes||USA|
|Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist (St. Louis, Missouri)||1946 photo by Joseph Hampel from Missouri History Museum online||3452 Potomac,St. Louis, Missouri 63118 St. Louis||St. Louis City||Missouri||No longer a Christian Science church||Now houses the Metro Christian Worship Center of St. Louis, Missouri||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Butte, Montana)||229 North Montana Street, Butte||Silver Bow County||Montana||Unknown||Sold September 15, 2014||Arnold, Walter||Classical Revival||1920||CP||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Reno, Nevada)||501 Riverside Drive, Reno
||Washoe County||Nevada||Relocated||Now the Lear Theater. First Church relocated to 795 West Peckham Lane.||Williams, Paul Revere||Classical Revival||1939||Yes||USA|
|Christian Science Pleasant View Home||227 Pleasant St, Concord||Merrimack County||New Hampshire||Dissolved||Now a profit-making retirement home. ||Bowditch, Arthur H., building; Arthur Asahel Shurcliff, landscaping||Georgian Revival||1926||Yes||USA|
|Christian Science Society (Cape May, New Jersey)||34 Gurney St, corner of Columbia St, Cape May||Cape May County||New Jersey||Dissolved||Now a bed and breakfast||Button, Stephen Decatur||1869 - 1870||CP||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Plainfield, New Jersey)||905 Prospect Ave, corner E 9th St. Plainfield||Union County||New Jersey||Delisted, withdrew from The Mother Church, changed name||Now Plainfield Christian Science Church, Independent. Dropped from the CS Journal in 1977.||unknown||Georgian Revival||unknown||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Buffalo, New York)||220 North St., Buffalo||Erie County||New York||Relocated/Merged||Now a Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum. After relocating in 1992, the congregation merged in 1996with First Church, Kenmore||Solon S. Beman||Classical Revival||1912||Local||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (New York, New York)||One West 96th Street at Central Park West Manhattan||New York County||New York||Merged||In 2003 First Church of Christ, Scientist merged with Second Church of Christ, Scientist. The building at 96th Street is now Crenshaw Christian Center. The merged CS congregation now uses the name First Church but worships at the former Second Church on 68th Street.||Carrère and Hastings||USA|
|Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (New York City)||551 Ft. Washington Avenue, corner of 185th Street, Washington Heights, Manhattan||New York County||New York||Dissolved||Now Hebrew Tabernacle of Washington Heights||Cherry and Matz||USA|
|Second Church of Christ, Scientist (Staten Island, New York)||13 New Dorp Lane New Dorp Staten Island||Richmond County||New York||Dissolved||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Cleveland, Ohio)||2200 Overlook Road,University Circle area of Clevelandin the||Cuyahoga County||Ohio||Relocated||Now the headquarters of Nottingham•Spirk Design Associates. First Church is now located at 3181 Fairmount Boulevard.||Walker and Weeks||USA|
|Third Church of Christ, Scientist (Cleveland, Ohio)||3648 W 25th St (now 3648 Pearl Rd), Cleveland||Cuyahoga County||Ohio||Dissolved||Vacant in 1907. Now Bethlehem Temple of Praise Church. Third Church of Christ, Scientist is no longer listed in the Christian Science Journal.||Striebinger, Frederick N.||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Lakewood, Ohio)||15422 Detroit Ave, Lakewood||Cuyahoga County||Ohio||Dissolved||Now the 15422 LTD Building||Faulkner, Charles Draper||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Sandusky, Ohio)||28 East Adams St, Sandusky||Erie County||Ohio||Dissolved||Now Emmanuel Temple Church, affiliated with the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Toledo, Ohio)||2704 Monroe StreetToledo||Lucas County||Ohio||Relocated||Now the United Missionary Baptist Church of Toledo. First Church is now located at 4647 West Central Avenue, Ottawa Hills||Yost and Packard||1898||NRHP||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Lebanon, Ohio)||342 Columbus Avenue.
|Warren County||Ohio||Relocated||Now the Mohrman-Jack-Evans House, a house museum. First Church is now a CS Society and meets at 109 West Mulberry Street||1850||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)||1200 N. Robinson Ave, Oklahoma City||Oklahoma County||Oklahoma||Relocated||Now vacant. First church meets at 4700 North Portland.||Classical Revival||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Portland, Oregon)||1813 NW Everett St, Portland, Oregon||Multnomah County||Oregon||Dissolved||Now the Northwest Neighborhood Cultural Center (NWNCC).||Beman, Solon Spencer||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Forest Grove, Oregon)||1904 Pacific Ave, Forest Grove||Washington County||Oregon||Dissolved||Now an office building The church congregation no longer exists.||Beman, Spencer, son of Solon Spencer Beman||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)||635 Clyde Street Pittsburgh||Allegheny||Pennsylvania||Relocated||Building was sold to the University of Pittsburgh and is now Pitt's University Child Development Center. First Church now meets at 201 North Dithridge.||Beman, Solon Spencer||Classical Revival||1904||Local||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Scranton, Pennsylvania)||520 Vine Street Scranton||Lackawanna County||Pennsylvania||Relocated||Now the Lackawanna County Children's Library. First Church is now Christian Science Society, Scranton, and meets at 335 North Washington Avenue.||Ward, Albert J.||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Paris, Texas)||339 West Kaufman, Paris||Lamar County||Texas||Dissolved||Vacant in 1988. Now being used by a Spanish-speaking Baptist congregation.||Unknown||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Salt Lake City, Utah)||352 East 300 South (352 East Broadway), Salt Lake City||Salt Lake County||Utah||Dissolved||It is no longer listed in the Christian Science Journal, After being used for a time by Anthony's Fine Art and Antiques, the building is once again being used as a church: Iglesia La Luz del Mundo||Ware, Walter E.||Richardsonian Romanesque||1898||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Seattle, Washington)||1519 East Denny Way / 1841 16th Avenue, Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle||King County||Washington||Relocated||Now a housing complex called The Sanctuary. First Church relocated to 900 Thomas Street||Heath, Frederick||Classical Revival||1906 - 1908||Local||USA|
|Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (Seattle, Washington)||1119 8th Ave, Seattle||King County||Washington||Dissolved||Sold by the church in 1998 for $1,600,000. Now Town Hall Seattle||unknown||Classical Revival||1916 - 1922||No||USA|
|Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist (Seattle, Washington)||3515 S Alaska St (corner of 36th Ave, S), Seattle||King County||Washington||Dissolved||Now the Rainier Valley Cultural Center||Roberts, Earl A.||Mixed||1921||CP||USA|
|Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist (Seattle, Washington)||2656 42nd Avenue, SW, Seattle||King County||Washington||Merged||Building is now the Sanctuary at Admiral and is a venue for weddings and banquets. Sixth Church merged with Fourteenth Church of Christ, Scientist||Field, Gerald C.||Art Deco||1929||Local||USA|
|Seventh Church of Christ, Scientist (Seattle, Washington)||2555 8th Ave, West (corner of W Halladay St), Seattle||King County||Washington||Dissolved||Now the Seattle Church of Christ||Thomas, Harlan||Mixed, Octagon||1926||No||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Neillsville, Wisconsin)||132 E 4th St, Neillsville||Clark County||Wisconsin||Dissolved||current use unknown||Corbey, L. J.||Classical Revival||1916||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Madison, Wisconsin)||315 Wisconsin Ave.
|Dane County||Wisconsin||Relocated||Now occupied by a marketing and advertising agency. First Church relocated to 610 South Segoe Road||Riley, Frank M. Riley||Classical Revival||1929||Yes||USA|
|First Church of Christ, Scientist (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)||1443-1451 North Prospect Ave, Milwaukee||Milwaukee County||Wisconsin||Dissolved||Now the 1451 Renaissance Place||Beman, Solon Spencer||Classical Revival||1907||Yes||USA|
|Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)||3069 North Downer Ave, Milwaukee||Milwaukee County||Wisconsin||Relocated||Now the Chinese Christian Church of Milwaukee. Fourth Church relocated to 2011 East Capitol Drive, Shorewood, Wisconsin.:1||Faulkner, Charles Draper||Georgian Revival||1930||No||USA|
|Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)||1036 N. Van Buren St.
|Milwaukee County||Wisconsin||Dissolved||Now Metrobrook Church.||Grey, Elmer||Mixed||1902||Yes||USA|
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Fort Pierce, Florida, on January 31, 1996, sold its church edifice at 911 Sunrise Boulevard for $110,000 to The Pentecostal Church of God in America, Florida District, Inc., d/b/a Glad Tidings Pentecostal Church of God, by warranty deed recorded in Official Records Book 997, page 2392, St. Lucie County, Florida, public records, as accessed online September 5, 2007. First Church is no longer in existence.
- First Church of Christ Scientist, Holmes Beach, Florida, voluntary dissolution, April 5, 2004
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Lake Worth, Florida, 918 N lakeside Drive, voluntarily dissolved, May 7, 2004 The building is now the Victory Believer's Chapel
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Fort Dodge, Iowa) is now the home of the Hawkeye Community Theatre.
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Wichita, Kansas) is now the Grand Chapel, a nonreligious wedding venue.
- Missing from the CS Journal
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Maplewood, New Jersey) is now the Burgdorff Cultural Center and a realtor office.
- Toronto, Ontario:
- Second Church of Christ, Scientist, 53 Donlands Avenue (Wilkinson Jr Public School)
- Third Church of Christ, Scientist, 70 High Park Avenue (condominium)
- Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist, 245 Beech Avenue 
- Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist, met at the former Royal George Theatre, 1219 St Clair Avenue West
- Saskatoon First, 2402 7 St E, building now mixed use commercial, church downgraded to society and meets at #2 1025 Boychuk Dr
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Provo, Utah) is now the Provo Community Theater.
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Wheeling, West Virginia), 99 14th Street, is now the Agape Baptist Church.
Churches and societies that were merged into another church or society
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Hollywood, Florida, with Christian Science Society (Hollywood, Florida)
Churches that were downgraded to societies
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Grinnell, Iowa) is now Christian Science Society (Grinnell, Iowa)
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Hudson, New York, is now Christian Science Society, Hudson, New York.
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Oconto, Wisconsin) on the National Register, is now Christian Science Society, Oconto, Wisconsin.
Churches in transition
- Alvin, Texas, First Church at 713 South Lee Street is listed for sale as vacant as of December 7, 2007. The February 2007 Christian Science Journal listed a Christian Science Society at that address.
- Camp Sangamon and its sister camp, Camp Betsey Cox, both located in Pittsford, Vermont, were originally run by Christian Scientists for the children of Christian Scientists. Today there are no religious restrictions.
- Christian Science Benevolent Association on the West Coast, was one of 2 BAs operated by the Mother Church.In 1973, it was turned over to a local group of Christian Scientists who continue to operate it as Arden Wood nursing home.
- Daycroft School in Greenwich, Connecticut, closed in 1991.
- Mary Baker Eddy Birthplace Monument, Bow, New Hampshire The large granite monument erected on the site was dynamited by order of the CS Board of Directors.
Former Christian Science churches, societies and buildings in other countries
- Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex
- Bolton, Greater Manchester
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Bolton: worship registration cancelled August 2012.
- Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Second Church of Christ, Scientist, Bradford: worship registration cancelled January 1998.
- Buxton, Derbyshire
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Bolton: worship registration cancelled January 1998.
- Camberley, Surrey
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Camberley: worship registration cancelled June 1990.
- Eastbourne, East Sussex
- Second Church of Christ, Scientist, Eastbourne: worship registration cancelled August 1961.
- East Grinstead, West Sussex
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, East Grinstead: worship registration cancelled February 1986.
- Halifax, West Yorkshire
- Second Church of Christ, Scientist, Halifax: worship registration cancelled October 1957.
- Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Third Church of Christ, Scientist, Leeds: worship registration cancelled November 1984.
- Leytonstone, Greater London
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Leytonstone: worship registration cancelled March 1923.
- Liverpool, Merseyside
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, London, a Grade II listed building on Sloane Terrace in Chelsea/Belgravia, is now Cadogan Hall, a concert hall
- Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist, London: worship registration cancelled 1978 after four years. It occupied part of a building in Hampstead.
- Ninth Church of Christ, Scientist, London, a Grade II* listed building on Marsham Street in Westminster, is now Emmanuel Evangelical Church. Its registration for worship as a Christian Science church was cancelled in March 1997.
- Orpington, Greater London
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Orpington: worship registration cancelled October 2003.
- Rochester, Kent
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Rochester: worship registration cancelled October 1991.
- Sandbach, Cheshire
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Sandbach: worship registration cancelled March 1997.
- Wolverhampton, West Midlands
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Wolverhampton: worship registration cancelled August 2012.
Missing churches in all countries
Note: Following the custom of early New England Congregational and Baptist churches, Churches of Christ, Scientist, in a city or town are numbered First, Second, Third, etc. Societies are not numbered, however. Since all churches and societies are listed in the monthly Christian Science Journal, it is possible to determine the numbers of most but not all missing churches. For example, if a city has listings for only second and fourth churches, it is obvious that first and third are missing. To be certain that fifth church is missing, though, it would be necessary to make sure that there was in fact a fifth church.
- Berlin, Germany Fourth through Tenth:1
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada Second; Note: Third Church now calls itself First Church, so apparently there was a merger.
- Birmingham, England First.:1
- Chicago, Illinois Fourth, Sixth, Ninth, Tenth, Twelfth through Fifteenth.:1
- Cleveland, Ohio Second Church.
- Dallas, Texas First, Second, Fourth and Sixth:1
- Denver, Colorado Second through Fifth:100
- Duluth, Minnesota Second
- El Paso, Texas Second:1
- Evanston, Illinois, First.:103
- Jacksonville, Florida, Third.:1
- Kansas City, Missouri First through Third, Fifth, Eighth and Ninth.:107-108
- Leeds, West Yorkshire, England Second.:95
- Liverpool, England First and Second.:95
- London, England, Fourth through Tenth:94
- Long Beach, California Second and Third.:1
- Los Angeles, California First, Fourth, Seventh, Eighth, Eleventh, Fifteenth through Nineteenth, Twenty-First through Twenty-Seventh, Twenty-Ninth through Thirty-Fifth, Thirty-Seventh, Thirty-Ninth, Fortieth, Forty-Second and Forty-Third churches.:98-99
- Manchester, England First and Third.:1
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin First and Second.:116
- Minneapolis, Minnesota Fourth through Sixth.:1
- New York, New York, includes Manhattan and Bronx: Fourth, Sixth, and Eleventh through Fifteenth:1
- Oakland, California Second through Ninth.:98
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Third through Fifth.:1
- Plainfield, New Jersey First, see Independent or secessionist churches above.
- Portland, Oregon First through Fifth, Seventh and Ninth.:112
- Pretoria, South Africa First.:1
- Sacramento, California Third and Fourth.:1
- Saint Louis, Missouri, Second through Fifth and Seventh.:1
- San Antonio, Texas, Second:1
- San Diego, California Third and Fifth.:99
- San Francisco, California Third, Sixth through Eighth and Tenth through Twelfth.:99
- São Paulo, Brazil, Third:88
- Seattle, Washington Second, Fourth through Sixth, Eighth, Ninth and Eleventh.:1
- Thunder Bay, Ontario First:89
- Tulsa, Oklahoma Second through Fifth.:1
- Tucson, Arizona Second.:1
- Vancouver, British Columbia, First and Third:1
- Washington, D.C. Second.:101
- Whittier, California First.:1 (This church was located at the southeast corner of Bailey Street and Washington Avenue. It is now the Good Shepherd Bible Church.)
- Worcester, Massachusetts First.:1
- Worthing, West Sussex, England, First.:95
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (disambiguation)
- Second Church of Christ, Scientist (disambiguation)
- Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (disambiguation)
- Study[dead link]
- Swanson, Douglas J. EdD, "Standing Porter at the Door of Thought": The Social Order of the Christian Science Church, Paper presented in the American Studies section of the Western Social Science Association annual conference, Reno, Nevada, April 20, 2001
- Juneau Unitarian Universalist Fellowship to buy historic church
- Greg Garrison, Birmingham Christian Scientists to sell church on Highland Avenue, Birmingham News, July 10, 2011 accessed July 31, 2013
- Christian Science Journal online accessed July 31, 2013
- The Christian Science Journal, December 2007, p. 96.
- Canada's Historic Places
- Byzantine Latino Quarter Foundation- Places
- Hollywood's Most Endangered Sites accessed June 12, 2014
- Brenda Gazzar, Christian Science congregation in Van Nuys bids farewell to longtime home, Daily News Los Angeles accessed July 29, 2013
- Croatian American Cultural Center
- The Christian Science Journal, vol. 73. no. 12, Dec. 1955, p. 14
- Historic Buildings of Connecticut: Second Church of Christ, Scientist, Hartford, 1927 accessed June 3, 2013
- Christopher Keating, Rell Seeks $4 Million For Improvements At Former Church, The Hartford Courant, November 29, 2010 Accessed June 3, 2013
- Second Church of Christ Scientist, Hartford, CT website accessed June 3, 2013
- Florida Corporate Records
- Florida Division of Corporations: Detail by Entity Name
- Christian Science Endtime Center
- Florida Division of Corporations: Detail by Entity Name: Case de Jesus, Inc.
- Florida Heritage[dead link]
- The Christian Science Journal, February 2007, p. 102.
- West St. Petersburg church will morph into theater site - Tampa Bay Times
- Ian Spula, Christian Science Leftovers, Curbed Chicago, Feb. 19, 2013
- Brule Laker, Former Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church
- Sixteenth Church website
- Prairie School Traveler: First Church of Christ, Scientist, Riverside, Illinois
- Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum, Rock Island
- The Prairie School Traveler - RIP
- Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum, Shreveport
- Haunted Atchison: Atchison Theatre
- UU Meeting House of Chatham website
- The Christian Science Journal, December, 2007, p. 106.
- Longyear Museum: Chestnut Hill
- Newton City Records
- Waymarking page for Former First Church of Christ, Scientist, Dedham, Massachusetts
- United Pentecostal Churches in Michigan
- CS Churches in Michigan
- Minneapolis City Council Minutes at page 6
- Ivey, Paul Eli, Prayers in Stone: Christian Science Architecture in the United States, 1894-1930, Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1999, p. 141, ISBN 0-252-02445-1
- Minneapolis First Seventh-day Adventist Church website
- Pleasant View Retirement: About Us[dead link]
- Plainfield Christian Science Church: Our History
- First Church of Christ, Scientist / Karpeles Manuscript Museum
- Listed in CS Journal, December 1955; not listed in March 1996 et seq.
- Bethlehem Temple of Praise Church website
- Christian Science Journal, December 2007, p. 111
- City of Portland Assessment Map
- 1904 Pacific Avenue
- Christian Science Church listings for Oregon
- The Christian Science Journal, December 2007, p. 112
- Google search for 339 W, Kaufman, Paris Texas, accessed Sept. 8, 2011
- The Christian Science Journal, December 2007, p. 114
- Church in the snow
- The Sanctuary: Live in a Landmark
- Historic Designation study report[dead link]
- Chinese Christian Church[dead link]
- The Christian Science Journal, February,2007
- St. Lucie County Records
- The Christian Science Journal, February, 2007, p. 101.
- Florida Corporate Records
- Florida Corporate Records
- Christian Science Journal List Online
- Second through Fourth: The Christian Science Journal 2007, p. 89
- Christian Science Journal Directory Online
- Daily Herald - Don't give up on St. Francis
- Wheeling-Weirton Library church photo collection
- Florida Corporate Records
- The Christian Science Journal, February 2007, p. 101.
- Christian Science Society, Hudson, New York listing accessed Feb 20, 2013
- The Christian Science Journal, February 2007, p. 116
- Special Purpose Property
- Camp Sangamon A Summer Camp for Boys in Vermont
- Christian Science Residential Home - Arden Wood, San Francisco, CA
- Healing The Sick A Means, Not An End
- The London Gazette: . 12 July 2000. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 13 August 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 16 January 1998. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 15 June 1990. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 29 August 1961. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 26 February 1986. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 11 October 1957. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- The London Gazette: . 23 November 1984. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 30 March 1923. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- The London Gazette: . 21 August 1978. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- National Monuments Record Ninth Church of Christ Scientist
- Emmanuel Evangelical Church
- The London Gazette: . 3 March 2007. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 8 October 2003. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 5 November 1991. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, Calgary
- The Christian Science Journal, December, 2007, p. 111
- CS Minnesota
- The Christian Science Journal, vol. 73. no. 12, Dec. 1955, p. 13
- The Christian Science Journal, vol. 73. no. 12, Dec. 1955, pp. 26-27