Diesel Locomotive Factory, Marhowra
|Location||Marhowra, Saran District, Bihar, India|
|Owner(s)||General Electric & Ministry of Railways|
The Diesel Locomotive Factory, Marhowra is a joint venture of GE Global Sourcing India Pvt. Limited of the US with Indian Railways for the production of 1000 high-power freight locomotives over a period of 10 years designed to run on Indian railway tracks. The factory is currently under-construction. This factory will start manufacturing the locomotives from the third quarter of 2018.
During Sep 2013, the Ministry of Railways had received bids from six global firms: Siemens, Alstom, Bombardier, General Electric, CSR Corp and CNR Corp. However, Indian Railways rejected the bid of both Chinese firms (CSR and CNR) for the two giant manufacturing projects in Bihar.
In January 2014, the Union Cabinet gave its approval for setting up Electric Locomotive Factory in Madhepura and Diesel Locomotive Factory (DLF) in Marhowra at an approximate cost of ₹1,293.57 crore (US$190 million) and ₹2,052.58 crore (US$300 million) respectively.
On November 9, 2015, the Ministry of Railways awarded the contracts for Madhepura project and Marhaura project to Alstom and General Electric respectively in a collective amount of US $6 billion. This multi crore rupees deal was seen as the country's first FDI in the railway sector.
The factory is located at Marhaura (also spelt as Marhowrah), a town and an administrative sub-divisional area in Saran district in the Indian state of Bihar. Marhowrah is 81 km north of state capital Patna.Chhapra is the nearest railway station approximately 18 from this factory.
As a joint venture company, both Indian Railways and General Electric are set to invest collectively a huge amount of US $2.5 billion for DLF. Indian Railways will hold 26% equity in JV company subject to a maximum of ₹100 crore (US$14 million). The estimated cost of 1000 locomotives will be around ₹14,656 crore (US$2.1 billion). General Electric will maintain the locomotives for 13 years, after which the Indian Railways will take over maintenance.
- WDG 4G 4500 hp, Co-Co, Broad Gauge (1, 676 mm), Evolution Series freight locomotive, 3-phase technology and IGBT technology. The GE designation of locomotive is ES 43ACmi. Weight 137.89 Tons. Axle Loading 22.97 Tons per Axle. Starting Traction Effort 544 KN, Continuous Traction Effort 405 KN. Maximum Speed 100 kmph (62 mph). Engine GEVO 16, UIC 1 Emission Standard Compliant.
- WDG 6 : 6000 hp, Co-Co, Broad Gauge (1, 676 mm), Evolution Series freight locomotive, 3-phase technology and IGBT technology. The GE designation of locomotive is ES 58ACi. Weight 144.64 Tons. Axle Loading 24.1 Tons per Axle. Starting Traction Effort 570 KN, Continuous Traction Effort 420 KN. Maximum Speed 100 kmph (62 mph). Engine GEVO 16, UIC 1 Emission Standard Compliant.
- User, Super. "Diesel Locomotive Factory at Marhowra, Bihar". www.kportal.indianrailways.gov.in.
- "Eye on electrification, Railways looks at winding up Bihar diesel project". 18 September 2017.
- "Indian Railways gets new modern diesel locomotive; check out cool facts". 5 August 2017.
- "UP's first railways' maintenance shed on PPP mode to come up in Roza by December 2017". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2017-06-02. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "Infrastructure Boost! Indian Railways Set To Get Modern 'Make In India' Locomotives; Check Out Images And Facts". vote.us.org. 2017-06-19. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- Das, Mamuni (6 October 2013). "Chinese firms join race to supply locos to Railways".
- "Railways denies Chinese firms' locomotive manufacturing projects for non-compliance". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-10-24. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "Setting up of electric locomotive factory at Madhepura and Diesel locomotive factory at Marhowra, Bihar". pib.nic.in. 2014-01-20. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "Marhowra deal: General Electric's first diesel loco arrives in India". 12 October 2017.
- Reporter, B. S. (10 November 2015). "GE, Alstom get locomotive factories in Bihar" – via Business Standard.
- "REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATION for Setting up Diesel Locomotive Factory at Marhowra," (PDF). indianrailways.gov.in. 2013. Retrieved 2017-12-14.