Federal Urdu University
Motto in English
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Suleman D Muhammad|
|Dean||Prof. Dr. Rubina Mushtaq,Prof. Dr. Muhammad Zia-ud-Din,Prof. Dr. Masood Mashkoor Siddiqui,Dr. Mohammad Ashraf Khurram|
|Registrar||Dr. Muhammad Sarim|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
|Colours||Red, Green, Antique|
The Federal URDU University of Arts, Science & Technology (Urdu: وفاقی جامعہ اردو; alternatively known as FUU), is a public research university primarily located in the residential Gulshan town of Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. The university has two satellite campuses; the central campus in Karachi while the other campus is located in Islamabad.
The university offers wide range of academic programmes in undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral studies. The university is noted for its engaging research in fine arts, languages, engineering, social sciences, and philosophy. With an tentative approximated of ~13,500 enrolled students currently attending the university, it is one of the largest institution in the country and is one of the top university in "general category" ranked by the HEC.
The Federal Urdu University holds a unique distinction of being as one of the few institutions of higher learning in languages and maintains a distinguish reputation for conducting scientific research towards the advancement of languages, engineering, philosophy, natural, medical, and social sciences. In addition, the university is also known for its financial affordability while engaged in offering an international standard scientific research and development in various academic mulch-disciplines.
Urdu College was first established by Baba-e-Urdu Maulvi Abdul Haq in 1949. Then this college was given the status of a University in 2002. The Federal Urdu University was established on 13 November 2002 by presidential order, and is the first university in Pakistan to teach primarily in the Urdu language. It was established by merging the Federal Urdu Arts College and the Federal Urdu Science College, both in Karachi. President Pervez Musharraf was the university's first chancellor. Currently President Mamnoon Hussain and Professor Suleiman D. Muhammad are the chancellor and vice-chancellor of the university respectively.
Campuses and departments
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Federal Urdu University comprises three campuses and a number of departments:
- Abdul Haq Campus at Baba-e-Urdu Road, Karachi (previously known as Federal Urdu Arts College)
- Gulshan Campus at University Road, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi (previously known as Federal Urdu Science College)
- Islamabad campus, Sector G-7/1, near Zero point, Islamabad (established in 2003)
- Google maps. "Address of Federal Urdu University". Google maps. Google maps. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "FUU in Islamabad". Google maps. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Amanullah Bashar (2002-10-06). "Urdu University: A Gift Of The Present Government". Pakistan Economist. Retrieved 2006-12-08.
- Govt. of Pakistan, HEC. "HEC rankings". Govt. of Pakistan. Higher Education Commission. Archived from the original on 25 May 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- FUU Press. "Introduction of FUU". FUU Press. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Departments". Federal Urdu University. Retrieved 2010-09-03.