Gajendra Singh Shekhawat
|Gajendra Singh Shekhawat|
Shekhawat speaking at Jai Narain Vyas University, 2015
|Minister of State Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare|
Assumed office |
3 September 2017
|Member of Parliament|
Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Chandresh Kumari Katoch|
3 October 1967|
Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Alma mater||Jai Narain Vyas University|
Gajendra Singh Shekhawat (born 3 October 1967) is an Indian politician from Rajasthan who is currently serving as Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare. He is a member of parliament from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) representing Jodhpur in the Lok Sabha.
He was born into a Rajput family with roots in Maharoli district of Sikar in the Indian state of Rajasthan. His father, Shankar Singh Shekhawat, was a senior government officer in the public health department and travelled on frequent assignments across the state, so Shekhawat was educated at several different schools. He received a Master of arts and Master of Philosophy from Jai Narain Vyas University, Jodhpur. Shekhawat began his political career in student politics when in 1992 he was elected as president of the Student Union at JNVU University, gaining more votes than any other previous Akhil Bhartiya Vidhyarthi Parishad supporter.
Before entering electoral politics, Shekhawat held positions in many forums and organisations; he was the co-convener of the Swadeshi Jagran Manch, the economic wing of the Sangh Parivar and the General Secretary of Seema Jan Kalyan Samiti, an organisation dedicated to strengthen national security by developing border towns and villages. As General Secretary, he was instrumental in building a second line of defense that consisted of civilians residing near the border area of Rajasthan. He was also instrumental in furthering the impact of civil defence by setting up 40 schools and four hostels along the Indo-Pak border.
He was elected as member of parliament to the 16th Lok Sabha in 2014, with the highest ever winning margin (4,10,051 votes) from the constituency of Jodhpur. One of his major achievements during his tenure as an MP has been the expansion of the Jodhpur Airport, a demand that had continuously been raised during the last 18 years.
Known for his use of social media, Shekhawat is the most followed Indian politician on Quora. His Quora profile has more than 73,380 followers and his answers on the social media platform have been viewed 6.5 million times. As an MP Shekhawat has received mention as one of the top five contributors to debate in the Indian Parliament. He is also Chairperson of the Fellowship Committee, member of the All India Council of Sports (AICS) and member of the Standing Committee on Finance.
- Report, TOI. "Cabinet rejig: Meet Modi's formidable force in run-up to 2019 general elections".
- "Constituencywise-All Candidates". Eciresults.nic.in. Archived from the original on 16 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Report, TOI. "BJP Kisan Morcha names office bearers, says will work for farmers". PTI. Retrieved 15 July 2017.
- "Cabinet reshuffle: Dedicated party veterans, ex-bureaucrats in Modi's chosen nine - Times of India". The Times of India. 4 September 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- Report, TOI. "On right track". PTI. Retrieved 15 July 2017.
- "Profile: Gajendra Singh Shekhawat". Quora. Retrieved 15 July 2017.
- Agnohotri, Amit (11 April 2016). "Figures show top five contributors in the Lok Sabha are BJP members". Mail Online. Retrieved 27 March 2018.