High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China
|The High School Affiliated to |
Renmin University of China
No.37 Zhongguancun Street, Haidian District (100080)
|Motto||Virtue, Erudition, Creativity and Factualism |
|Established||April 3rd, 1950|
|Principal||Pengzhi Liu (刘彭芝), Xiaoning Zhai(翟晓宁)|
|Enrollment||~4500 across grade 7-12 on main campus|
|Campus||Urban, 24.7 acres|
|Affiliations||Renmin University of China|
First Branch Campus
Second Branch Campus
The High School Affiliated to Renmin University Of China (simplified Chinese: 中国人民大学附属中学; traditional Chinese: 中國人民大學附屬中學; Pinyin: Zhōngguó Rénmín Dàxué Fùshŭ Zhōngxué), colloquially Rendafuzhong abbreviated to RDFZ (Chinese: 人大附中), is the affiliated high school of Renmin University of China, and is a prestigious high school in Beijing. In recent rankings, it ranked first among all high schools in Mainland China. RDFZ is situated in Haidian District of Beijing, and also in the Zhongguancun Science and Technology Zone. It is among one of the beacon high schools accredited by Beijing Municipal Government. In a 2016 ranking of Chinese high schools that send students to study in American universities, RDFZ ranked number 5 in mainland China in terms of the number of students entering top American universities. The school is also a member of the G20 Schools Group.
- 1 History
- 2 Principals
- 3 Achievement
- 4 Staff team
- 5 Structure
- 6 Students
- 7 Results in National Matriculation Examination and international admission
- 8 Campus
- 9 Extra-curricular Life
- 10 Sister Schools
- 11 Notable alumni
- 12 Arts
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
In the 1950s, due to the specific political and cultural backgrounds at that time, the government felt the need to establish middle school for blue-collar workers and farmers to increase their labor skills. Thus, the school, originally named Beijing Experimental Fast Track Middle School for Workers and Farmers, was founded directly by the Ministry of Education in January 1950. After only three months of preparation, the school welcomed its first group of students on April 3, 1950. Since it has the duty to experiment, discover and establish the paradigm of education for blue-collar workers and farmers, the word Experimental was placed in the name of the school.
The matriculation ceremony was somewhat grand, the then minister of the Ministry of Education, Ma Xulun attended the event with his deputies of which one delivered a speech during the ceremony. The number one state newspaper - "People's Daily" also reported the event.
In 1952, the school was renamed to Workers and Farmers' Fast Track Middle School Affiliated to Renmin University of China due to the change of its direct governing body. The school stopped admitting blue-collar workers and farmers from 1955 and started teaching normal high school classes.
A short change of governing body occurred in July 1956. The school was transferred to Beijing Education Bureau but later transferred back to Renmin University in April 1958 when the school was renamed to Workers and Farmers' High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China which meant that the school had become a proper high school. The phrase Workers and Farmers was retained because of the fact that there were still worker and farmer students in the school.
The school started admitting 9th grade from 1960. Which means that the school had transferred itself from a senior high only High School to a junior high included high school. The name of the school was finally decided to be High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China. With the last group of worker and farmer students graduated in 1963, the school's teaching system was settled.
Anti-intellectualism flourished in mainland China in the 1970s due to the well-known cultural revolution. As one of the many victims, Renmin University of China was forced to close by Beijing Revolution Committee in October 1970. As a direct impact, the school had no choice but to change its name to Beijing No.172 Middle School. The jurisdiction of the school was transferred to Haidian Education Bureau.
|Hu Chaozhi (胡朝芝)||1950-1956|
|Xia Jia (夏加)||1956-1959|
|Di Wenyu (邸文彧)||1960-1962|
|Chen Bangyou (陈邦友)||1967-1969|
|Wu Yingjie (吴英杰)||1971-1978|
|Dong Fang (董放)||1983-1984|
|Hu Junze (胡俊泽)||1984-1992|
|Zhu Disheng (朱迪生)||1992-1997|
|Liu Pengzhi (刘彭芝)||1997–Present|
|Zhai Xiaoning (翟小宁)||2014–Present|
Since its establishment in 1950, the school has been given awards by China's Ministry of Education and Beijing Municipality Education Commission, such as:
- Advanced School of All-round Education with Distinctive Characteristics,
- School of Full-range Development and Talented Students' Academic Training,
- Advanced School of Working Skill Education,
- Municipal Model School for Education in Science and Technology,
- National Model School for Modern Technology Education,
- Excellent School for Training Elite Back-up Athletes,
- Advanced School for Merits in Physical and Health Work,
- Model School for Demonstrating Green Network,
- State-level Traditional School for Physical Education.
The staff team includes 50 special-class teachers, over 170 senior-level teachers, l6 conferred the titles of pillar teachers at the national level, and another 25 at the Beijing municipal level, and 37 recognized as advanced individuals in their disciplines in Haidian District. There are more than 40 foreign teachers from the United States, Great Britain and other countries.
High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China, or commonly known as RDFZ, is a branch of RDFZ United. It is worth mentioning that RDFZ United does not admit any students itself but only serves as a top-level administrative body to facilitate all the branches. RDFZ is the 1st and the most famous branch under the governance of RDFZ United.
Besides RDFZ, there are more than ten schools which are under the governance of RDFZ United. Some of them are created by RDFZ (RDFZ 1st Branch, RDFZ 2nd Branch, etc.) while others are assimilated (Bijie, Beihang, etc.) due to the reputation of RDFZ brand. RDFZ United is also one of the few that have branches located outside mainland China. Princeton International School of Mathematics and Science, or RDFZ USA, is a joint venture of RDFZ United located in Princeton, NJ, USA.
Foreign passport holders are allowed to attend as long as they have legal guardians living in Beijing for the duration of their enrollment.
Results in National Matriculation Examination and international admission
In the past two decades, RDFZ has always stood out as one of the topmost schools in China in terms of entrance rate into institutions of higher learning, serving as one of the major sources of recruitment for China's famous universities like Tsinghua University, Peking University, and Renmin University of China. Apart from these eminent universities in China, RDFZ has also embraced great success in international education. There is quite a portion of students to apply and get into the top universities in the world like Harvard and Princeton.
|Matriculation into Tsinghua University and Peking University|
|Number of students|
- 1st place of Beijing in science: 715 pts
- 1st place of Beijing in science: 721 pts
- 1st place of Beijing in science: 703 pts (+20 bonus)= 723 pts
- 2nd place of Beijing in science: 695 pts (+20 bonus)= 715 pts
- 3rd place of Beijing in science: 694 pts (+20 bonus)= 714 pts
- 1 Gold Medalist in the International Mathematics Olympiad
- 1 Gold Medalist in the International Physics Olympiad
- 1st place of Beijing in science: 702 pts (+20 bonus)= 722 pts
- 2 Gold Medalists in the International Mathematics Olympiad
- 1 perfect paper in Science exam (the first ever in the history of Beijing)
- 600+ pts: more than 415 students
- 1st place of Beijing in science: 709 pts (+20 bonus)= 729 pts
- 4(in science) + 3(in liberal arts) perfect papers in Math exam
- 600+ pts: more than 410 students
- 650+ pts: more than 180 students
- 14 perfect papers in Math exam
- 600+ pts: 473 students
- 1st place of Beijing in science:687 pts (+20 bonus)= 707 pts
- 2nd place of Beijing in liberal art: 639 pts (+20 bonus)= 659 pts
- 3rd place of Beijing in liberal art: 638 pts
- A perfect paper in Math exam
- 600+ pts: 219 students
- 1st place of Beijing in liberal art
- Science 2nd Place of Beijing (2 students)
The campus covers an area of 10 hectares. The school has a virtual science laboratory donated by Apple Inc., electronic technology classroom, graphic design classroom, New Dynamic English classroom, distance learning classroom, automobile simulated driving classroom and self-service network-based laboratory. Each classroom in the school is equipped with a multimedia system.
The Student Council (人大附中学生会), whose presidents and heads of each division are elected by an annual democratic campaign, is at the center of life on campus. It consists of several divisions and serves the students in every aspect. More than 2/3 of RDFZ students are involved in extra-curricular groups or clubs.
For the class of 2016, three President comprised the executive power of the Student Council, making decisions and coordinating all student events. The 28th dais members are Qiutong Xu (徐秋童), Yifan Lian (连一帆), Dantong Sun (孙丹童).
Student Council served as a congress on campus. Representatives from all classes joined together to discuss all issues on campus, creating a democratic atmosphere. Co-founded by Weiyao Wang (汪维垚) and Yanzhe Guo (郭彦哲), it grew fast and now has great influence on campus. The current Secretary General is Zhenyi Li (李振医), with his deputy Yaoshi Li (李耀实).
Activity Division of the Student Government (学生会活动部) holds annual school-wide events such as Movie Festival, Music and Dance Carnival, New Year’s Concert, Speech Contest, Host Contest, Debate Tournament etc.
Editorial Division issues quarterly student magazine "Infinitude" and "Us".
Volunteer Group (人大附中志愿团) insists on serving the school and local community for more than a decade and has won a great reputation.
Club Union (人大附中社团联合会) supports the activities and work of more than 100 of different clubs. The student enjoys the freedom to found new clubs with good proposals and intentions, and they get supports from the school advisors. Popular Clubs include Traveled Club, Model United Nations, Junior Achievement, Finance Clubs, Writer’s Society, Bridge Club, Debating Club and Astronomy Club. Art clubs such as the Orchestra, Marching Orchestra, Dance Troupe, Martial Arts Group, Choir and Gymnastics Team are all professional-quality groups with numerous national and international awards. As of class of 2015, the president and vice president of Club Union were Yu Han (于寒) and Sun Jingrong (孙婧荣).
All teachers can serve as activity advisors or supervisors on campus; however, two teachers in Tuanwei are the center of the supervision of student activities. Wei Liu (刘炜) and Mingzhu Li (李明珠) now serve as the two supervisors.
- Shanghai Shanghai Datong High School
- Macau Hou Kong Middle School
- Hong Kong Holy Trinity College
- Hong Kong Fukien Secondary School
- Seoul Daewon Foreign Language High School
- Seoul Hana Academy Seoul
- Tokyo Musashi Junior and Senior High School
- Osaka Ikeda Senior High School Attached to Osaka Kyoiku University
- Osaka Hagoromo Gakuen Junior College
- Osaka Kitayodokoto School
- Singapore Raffles Institution
- Singapore Raffles Girls' School (Secondary)
- Bangkok Mahidol University International Demonstration School
- Sydney Trinity Grammar School (New South Wales)
- Copenhagen Niels Steensens Gymnasium
- Rungsted Rungsted Boarding School
- Ekenäs, Finland Ekenäs Gymnasium
- St. Gallen Kantonsschule am Burggraben St.Gallen
- Stuttgart Ferdinand Porsche Gymnasium
- Barcelona Hamelin Laie International School
- Madrid British Council School
- Harrow, London Harrow School
- Eton, Berkshire Eton College
- Wokingham, Berkshire The Emmbrook School
- Wokingham, Berkshire The Holt School
- Wargrave, Berkshire The Piggott School
- Crowthorne, Berkshire Wellington College
- Exeter, New Hampshire Phillips Exeter Academy
- Andover, Massachusetts Phillips Academy Andover
- Honolulu, Hawaii Punahou School
- Washington, D.C. Georgetown Day School
- Fairfax County, Virginia Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
- Aurora, Illinois Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
Exchange visits are arranged for students and teachers every year between Beijing and the countries and regions mentioned above.
- Hao Jianxiu (郝建秀), CPPCC Vice Chairman
- Han Xu (韩叙), PRC Ambassador to U.S.
- Song Demin (宋德敏), CPPCC Chief Secretary
- Liu Zheng (刘政), CPPCC Vice Chief Secretary
- Wei Jingsheng(魏京生), Human rights activist
- Jin Keyu (金刻羽)
- Cheng Congfu(程丛夫), Racing driver
- Yifan Hou(侯逸凡), Chinese chess grandmaster
- Zhang Peimeng(张培萌), Chinese track and field sprinter
- "2014年北京高中最新排名 人大附中居榜首". edu.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "2016中國百強高中，31省重點高中排名". read01.com. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- People's Daily "http://gz.people.com.cn/n2/2016/0224/c358162-27802234.html" Feb 24, 2016.
- CollegeNode Ranking "http://www.collegenode.com/list.php Archived 2016-10-14 at the Wayback Machine."
- "Brookhouse School | Learn to Excel". www.brookhouse.ac.ke. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "50 years of education in China". 中国教育50年大事记（中国教育部门户网）. Archived from the original on 2009-08-14.
- "海淀文史资料选编第二辑49页".[permanent dead link]
- "人大附中校史长廊-速中的结束". 人大附中. Archived from the original on 2011-07-16.
- "人大附中校史长廊-一校六制 几易校名". 人大附中. Archived from the original on 2011-07-16.
- "中国人民大学校史". Renmin University of China.
- "人大附中校史长廊 - 文革动乱与学校更名为172中学". 人大附中.
- "人大附中校史长廊-拨乱反正 勇打高考翻身仗". 人大附中.
- "人大附中". www.rdfz.cn. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "人大附中". www.rdfz.cn. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "RDFZ - The High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China". www.rdfz.cn. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Princeton International School of Mathematics and Science". www.prismsus.org. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- BeijingKids. Issue 2015.02, School Choice Guide 2015-2016. p. 77.
- School website (English version)
- School website (Chinese version)
- School image on Google Maps
- RDFZ International Curriculum Center
- Princeton International School of Mathematics and Science