|(undated figure of 20,000)|
Kodi is a Sumba language of Indonesia. The population figure may include Gaura, which Ethnologue counts as a dialect of both the Lamboya and Kodi languages. Kodi is an Austronesian language that is mainly spoken in Nusa Tenggara Timur province, the western part of the island of Sumba in eastern Indonesia. An alternate name for Kodi is Kudi and dialects of the language include Kodi Bokol, Kodi Bangedo, Nggaro (Nggaura) and is most alike to Wejewa. With only approximately 20,000 speakers, the Kodi language is an endangered language.
Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Central-Eastern Malayo-Polynesian, Sumba-Hawu, Sumba, Kodi-Gaura.
The Kodi language is derived from the Melanesian and Austronesian languages since its inhabitants arrived in Sumba in the 1500s. The Kodi society can be described as “isolated from history” since being colonized by the Dutch empire during the 1800s. The Kodi people live remotely in West Sumba located in Eastern Indonesia without a political leader.
Kodi is spoken in Nusa Tenggara Timur Province; west Sumba located in Eastern Indonesia.
Kodi has a population of approximately 20,000 speakers. Other known names and dialects of Kodi include: Kodi Bangedo, Kodi Bokol, Kudi, Nggaro, Nggaura. May be most similar to Wejewa.
habali a mekena - returning the honor
ngara - renown (lit. 'name')
meke - honor
witti wyulla - the feet of the moon
limya lodo - than hand of the sun
The people of Kodi perform an annual ritual in which a thanks giving ceremony is held. Below is a video encompassing this event, with continual audio of the language:
- Kodi at Ethnologue (17th ed., 2013)
- "Kodi". Ethnologue. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Verbix Languages Languages/Kodi". wiki.verbix.com. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Glottolog 3.0 - Kodi-Gaura". glottolog.org. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Hoskins, Janet (1994-01-05). The Play of Time: Kodi Perspectives on Calendars, History, and Exchange. University of California Press. ISBN 9780520919136.
- "Kodi [kod]". Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Words of Life - Kodi". Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Pasola Desa Ratenggaro, Kec. Kodi Bangedo - Sumba Barat Daya". Vimeo. Retrieved 2017-05-03.