Indian vice presidential election, 2012
|This article is outdated. (August 2012)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Indian Vice Presidential election, 2012 was held to elect Vice President of India on 7 August 2012. Mohammad Hamid Ansari was the incumbent and the UPA candidate. The other prime candidate was the NDA's Jaswant Singh.
Indian Vice President has a term of 5 years. Hamid Ansari took oath as Vice President on 11 August 2007, hence his term ended on 10 August 2012. The Election Commission of India undertook the election. T. K. Viswanathan and V. R. Ramesh were appointed as Returning Officer and the Assistant Returning Officer respectively.
According to, the Election Commission of India's press note on 3 July detailing the process of conduct and declaration of the result of the election, the program for the election was,
- Notification - 6 July.
- Deadline for nominations - 20 July.
- Scrutiny of nominations - 21 July.
- Deadline for withdrawal of nominations - 23 July
- Date and voting hours - 7 August from 10:00 to 17:00. Announcement of result at 18:00.
Thirty-four candidates had filed their nomination papers for the election. Seven of them had filed nomination papers on the deadline day. Four nomination were rejected for failing to comply with the requirement of attaching a certified copy of the entry relating to the candidate's parliamentary constituency.
Jaswant Singh had filed his nomination papers on 20 July in the presence of National Democratic Alliance coalition leaders. Three sets of papers- one each by L. K. Advani, Sumitra Mahajan and Yashwant Sinha, supporting Singh's candidature were submitted to the returning officer Viswanathan. His candidature was announced by the NDA on 16 July. He would meet All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam leader Jayalalithaa and Naveen Patnaik of Biju Janata Dal on 6 August asking them to support his candidature.
Hamid Ansari filed his nomination papers on 18 Jul United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav, INC general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Nationalist Congress Party leader Sharad Pawar, RLD leader Ajit Singh, National Conference leader Farooq Abdullah, Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Defence MinisterA. K. Antony and RJD leader Lalu Prasad Yadav were among the political leaders who were present to support him at the time of his nomination. His candidature was announced by Sonia Gandhi at a UPA meeting held at Singh's official residence. Sonia Gandhi proposed his nomination by saying: "Mohd Hamid Ansari will complete shortly a term as Vice-President of India. He has presided over the Rajya Sabha with dignity and distinction. The UPA is honoured to nominate him as its candidate for a second term as Vice-President of India. " Sonia Gandhi, Mulayam Singh Yadav, Bahujan Samaj Party leader Satish Mishra and INCMP Motilal Vora then submitted one set of papers each to Viswanathan in support of Ansari's candidature. 
Though Mukul Roy of the All India Trinamool Congress had put before the names of grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, Gopalkrishna Gandhi and daughter-in-law of Sarat Chandra Bose, Krishna Bose, his suggestions were rejected by both Gandhi and Singh.
Hamid Ansari was elected as Vice President.
- "BJP to field candidate for vice-president against Hamid Ansari". NDTV. 15 July 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Jaswant Singh to give stature to vice-president poll contest". DNA India. 16 July 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Ansari may write to MPs of UPA and supporting parties". DNA India. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Hamid Ansari gets second term as vice president". Hindustan Times. August 7, 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- PRESS NOTE Subject: Election to the Office of the Vice-President, 2012 (14th Vice-Presidential Election), ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA
- "Hamid Ansari, Jaswant Singh among 34 in fray for Vice Presidential poll". 20 July 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Jaswant Singh files nomination for Vice Presidential poll". The Economic Times. 20 July 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Jaswant Singh is NDA nominee for Vice Presidential election". The Indian Express. 16 July 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Vice-Presidential poll: Jaswant Singh to seek J Jayalalithaa, BJD support". The Economic Times. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Vice-presidential poll: Hamid Ansari files nomination papers". The Economic Times. 18 July 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Hamid Ansari is UPA nominee for Vice-President's post; BJP to contest VP poll, NDA meet on July 16". The Times of India. 14 July 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Hamid Ansari files nomination papers for Vice-Presidential post". The India Today. 18 July 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Official website of the Vice-Presidential election 2012
- Press note released by the Election Commission of India
- Information bullet released by the Lok Sabha