Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya (2019 series)
|Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya|
Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya poster
(Seinto Seiya: Naitsu obu za Zodiakku)
|Based on||Saint Seiya by|
|Screenplay by||Benjamin Townsend|
Shannon Eric Denton
Thomas F. Zahler
|Story by||Eugene Son|
|Directed by||Yoshiharu Ashino|
|Voices of||Bryson Baugus|
|Opening theme||"Pegasus Seiya"|
by The Struts
|Ending theme||"Somebody New"|
by The Struts
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Kōzō Morishita|
|Running time||23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Toei Animation|
Toei Animation USA
|Original release||July 19, 2019 –|
The series was first revealed to be in the works in December 2016, at CCXP in Brazil. On August 2, 2017, Cinematoday.jp published an article which revealed that the project was a collaboration with Netflix to make a new adaptation of the manga and anime classic series. Yoshiharu Ashino was announced as the director, and Eugene Son among others as the writers. The first season would follow the Galaxian Wars arc to the Silver Saint arc with twelve episodes. The first six episodes were released on Netflix on July 19, 2019.
Seiya, a young teen, is recruited by Alman Kido to become a fabled Bronze Knight (青銅聖闘士 Buronzu Seinto). The series follows the Bronze Knights as they fight prolific warriors in the quest of becoming Goddess Athena warriors, while Seiya at the same time is looking for his missing sister.
|Sienna Kido / Athena
(Saori Kido / Athena)
|Emily Neves||Fumiko Orikasa|
|Pegasus Seiya||Bryson Baugus
Crocket Groves (child)
|Patrick Poole||Hiroaki Miura|
|Blake Shepard||Takahiro Sakurai|
|Luci Christian||Satomi Satō|
|Adam Gibbs||Katsuyuki Konishi|
|Leraldo Anzaldua||Hideo Ishikawa|
|Bear Geki||Adam Noble||Kohei Fukuhara|
|Hydra Ichi||Justin Doran||Masaya Onosaka|
|Aquila Marin||Maggie Flecknoe||Fumiko Inoue|
|Ophiucus Shaina||Katelyn Barr||Yuka Komatsu|
|Lizard Misty||Corey Hartzog||Hisafumi Oda|
|Leo Aiolia||Greg Cote||Hideyuki Tanaka|
|Aries Mu||John Gremillion||Takumi Yamazaki|
|Virgo Shaka||Scott Gibbs||Yūji Mitsuya|
|Dohko||John Swasey||Hiroshi Iwasaki|
|Cassios||Andrew Love||Toshitsugu Takashina|
|Guilty||David Harbold||Masafumi Kimura|
|Esmeralda||Juliet Simmons||Shino Shimoji|
|Shunrei||Hilary Haag||Haruka Terui|
|Lillian Jones||Yukiko Motoyoshi|
|Ty Mahany||Hisao Egawa|
|Axel Lutter||Katsuhisa Hōki|
|Vander Graad||James Belcher||Hideaki Tezuka|
|Narrator||Marty Fleck||Hideyuki Tanaka|
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"Seiya"||Yasuhiro Tanabe||Shannon Eric Denton||July 19, 2019|
|2||"Burn Your Cosmo"||Yasuhiro Tanabe||Thomas F. Zahler||July 19, 2019|
|3||"Enter The Dragon"||Yasuhiro Tanabe||Benjamin Townsend||July 19, 2019|
|4||"Nebula Chain"||Hiroshi Kimura||Joelle Sellner||July 19, 2019|
|5||"The Black Knights"||Hiroshi Kimura||Travis Donnelly||July 19, 2019|
|6||"Phoenix Rising"||Hiroshi Kimura||Benjamin Townsend||July 19, 2019|
The anime is critically panned. The Review Geek rated the series 3.5 out of 10; Ready Steady Cut gave a 2.5 out of 5 rating and called the show "dull and uninspiring". Initial backlash to the series began before it aired, when it was revealed that Shun, a male in the original manga and series, was changed into a female character. The writer of the series, Eugene Son, justified this change after thinking the Knights needed more female representation. He explained that while the original show had some excellent core concepts, the one thing that bothered him about it was that “the Bronze Knights with Pegasus Seiya are all dudes”. However, this decision received backlash from fans of the original series. The gender swap of Shun, who was the only main male character of the original series who did not fit in the stereotype of the male hero - slightly effeminate, sensitive and opposed to fighting - was seen as a heteronormative move.
- Netflix's CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Remake Anime Premieres Next Summer
- English Band The Struts Performs Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime's Theme Songs
- Dennison, Kara (December 6, 2016). "President of Toei Announces Plans for CG, Live Action "Saint Seiya" Movies". Crunchyroll.com. Crunchyroll. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
According to Morishita, plans are currently under way for both a CG film and a live-action adaptation.
- ""Saint Seiya" reanimation! Produced as Netflix original CG animation". Cinematoday.jp. Cinema Today. August 2, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
In the first season of "Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya (Tentative)" which will be produced as Netflix original animation this time, "Galaxy War Story" to "Silver Saint Warrior Hen" will be planned. It is scheduled for about 30 minutes in 1 story with 12 episodes in one season. Directed by Yoshiharu Asui of "Azuki-chan" (drawing director), "D.Gray-man HALLOW" (directed). The script will be written by Eugene Son and Hollywood script writer team. Toei animation is in charge of animation production.
- "Netflix's CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Remake Anime Premieres Next Summer". Anime News Network. November 26, 2018. Retrieved November 26, 2018.
- "Netflix Posts Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime's Japanese-Dubbed Video". Anime News Network. March 23, 2019. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- "Saint Seiya: Knights Of The Zodiac – Netflix Season 1 Review". The Review Geek. Retrieved July 19, 2019.
- "Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac Season 1 Review: Adaptation Is Dull And Uninspiring". Ready Steady Cut. Retrieved July 19, 2019.
- "Seiya". Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya. Episode 1. USA: Netflix. Event occurs at Closing credits, English Language Cast.
- "Netflix's Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime Reveals Japanese Cast". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- "Saint Seiya: Knights Of The Zodiac - Netflix Season 1 Review". The Review Geek. 2019-07-19. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
- "Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac Season 1 Review - Netflix Anime Series". Ready Steady Cut. 2019-07-19. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
- "Netflix's 'Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya' is a perfect example of the problems of representation in media". meaww.com. Retrieved 2019-08-09.