Libertarian Party of Michigan
|Vice Chair||Kim McCurry|
The Libertarian Party of Michigan was founded in Taylor, Michigan, in 1972 and remains on the ballot as Michigan’s third oldest active political party. It is the Michigan affiliate of the Libertarian Party of the United States.
Since its founding, the Libertarian Party of Michigan has fielded candidates for a variety of offices and has retained its position on the state ballot. In the 2006 general election, the Libertarian Party of Michigan was the only political party in the state to support the successful Michigan Civil Rights Initiative. The party's gubernatorial candidate, Gregory Creswell, and his running mate Scotty Boman made it the centerpiece of their campaigns. Several Libertarians have held public office in Michigan, most at the local level. The party is a member of the Michigan Third Parties Coalition which advocates changes in Michigan's election laws.
In 2016, Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson won 173,021 votes in Michigan, qualifying the state party for a primary election in 2018. The first Libertarian primary candidate is Gregory Creswell, who had previously been the party's candidate for governor in 2006. Creswell is running to replace state representative Brian Banks and will be unopposed in the primary.
Libertarians in public office
- Councilman Andrew LeCureaux of Hazel Park.
- Commissioner Erwin Haas of the City of Kentwood 2nd Ward.
- Park Commissioner Elizabeth Corder of Ypsilanti Township was elected in 2016 on a partisan ballot.
- Board of Trustees Treasurer Bruce Gosling of Glen Oaks Community College was elected in a non-partisan election in 2003 and has remained in office as of January 2017.
Former elected libertarians
Former elected Libertarians include:
- Mayor Pro Tem Mark Owen of Owosso.
- Councilman Bill Bradley City of South Haven.
- Troy City Councilman David Eisenbacher, who was returned to office.
- Park Commissioner Lawrence W. Johnson of Ypsilanti Township was elected in 2008 on a partisan ballot.
- Mayor Pro Tem  Erin Stahl of St. Clair Shores,
- Fred Collins, who served as Councilman for the City of Berkley, Michigan  from 1997 until he gave up his position to run for Mayor in 2005, and lost the election.
- Councilman Mark Byrne of Port Huron, who is now active with the Unifour Area Libertarian Party in North Carolina.
- Park Commissioner Tom Bagwell of Ypsilanti Township was elected in 2008 on a partisan ballot, but left office after moving from Ypsilanti Township.
Libertarians appointed to public office
- Lloyd Sherman (died December 25, 2006) – Hazel Park Brownfield Authority, Hazel Park Facilities and Infrastructure Citizens Advisory Board, Hazel Park Fence Review Board, Hazel Park Zoning Board of Appeals, Hazel Park General Building Authority.
- Will Tyler White – Vice-Chair, Meridian Charter Township Economic Development Corporation
- Donald Flatt – Commissioner, Portage Parks and Recreation Board.
- Steven Butler – Co-Chair, Grand Rapids Environmental Mandates Committee.
- James McAbee – Romeo Planning Commission
- Darrell Johnson – Berkley City Planning Commission
Defender of Liberty Awards
"Defender of Liberty" Awards ("Libbies") have been presented by the Libertarian Party of Michigan at its annual LibertyFest Banquet to a maximum of four select individuals, Libertarian or otherwise, whom the LPM believes have made notable personal efforts in the defense of liberty. Winners must live and/or work in the state of Michigan. The Libertarian Party of Michigan lists three subcategories for the award:
- Spokesperson for Liberty – a member of the community whose patriotism and conviction have inspired contributions to the cause of Liberty
- Promoter of Liberty – A Libertarian whose efforts have done the most to promote the LP and Libertarian principles
- Producer of Liberty – a dedicated, behind-the-scenes Libertarian whose quiet labors over the years exemplifies the backbone of the LP.
- Salvette, Emily H. "The Libertarian Party of Michigan Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Project". Libertarian Party of Michigan.
- Jacobs, Dick M. "Michigan Political Parties: Libertarian Party". Bentley Historical Library.
- Libertarian Party of Michigan. "Official Website". Libertarian Party of Michigan.
- Libertarian Party of Michigan. "Alternate Libertarian Party of Michigan Website". Libertarian Party of Michigan.
- "Libertarians Going in with Large Slate, Low Expectations". The Macomb Daily. Associated Press. October 22, 2004.
- Libertarian National Committee. "The Party of Principle". Libertarian National Committee.
- Land, Terri Lynn. "Elections in Michigan". Michigan Secretary of State.
- Boman, Scotty (November 21, 2006). "Liberty Fest Honors Defenders of Liberty". LPM Online.
- By Any Means Necessary. "Picket & Protest of the Michigan Libertarian Party" (PDF). By Any Means Necessary.
- Creswell, Greg. "Greg Creswell for Governor".
- Boman, Scotty. "Scotty Boman for Lt. Governor".
- Michalak, John (December 27, 2006). "A Friend to Hazel Park Loses Battle With Lymphoma". Daily Tribune.
- Libertarian Party of Michigan. "Michigan Libertarians in Office". Libertarian Party of Michigan.
- Michigan Third Parties Coalition. "Michigan Third Parties Coalition Formed". Michigan Third Parties Coalition. Archived from the original on July 4, 2008.
- Oosting, Jonathan (April 25, 2017). "Bert Johnson’s brother among 14 running for state House". Detroit News. Michigan. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Libertarian Party of Michigan. "Elections on November 6th". Libertarian Party of Michigan.
- Hazel Park City Government. "Elected Officials". Hazel Park City Government.
- City of Kentwood. "2nd Ward Commissioner Erwin Haas". City of Kentwood.
Haas, Erwin. "Erwin Haas Libertarian".
- Winger, Richard (November 21, 2016). "Three Parties Win Seats on Ypsilanti Township Park Commission Board". Ballot Access News.
- "Elected Officials". Libertarian Party of Michigan.
"Glen Oaks Board of Trustees". Glen Oaks Community College.
- Owosso City Government. "Our Local Government". Owosso City Government.
- South Haven City Government. "City Council Members". South Haven City Government.
- Oparka, Terry (November 7, 2007). "Troy Incumbents Prevail — The Slate Does Not". C & G newspapers.
- Michalak, John (March 29, 2005). "Troy Eyes Prayer Policy". Daily Tribune.
- Eisenbacher, David. "eisenbacher.org".
- Dirasian, Greg (April 2, 2002). "Eisenbacher Wins!!!". LPM Online.
- Hall, Bill (November 27, 2008). "Libertarian Party of Michigan November Election Highlights". Independent Political Report.
- Stahl, Erin. "Erin Stahl for St. Clair Shores City Council".
- St. Clair Shores City Government. "St. Clair Shores City Council". St. Clair Shores City Government.
- Libertarian Party National Committee, "Our History". "lp.org" (website)
- Libertarian Party of Virginia. "59 Libertarians elected to local office in nine states". Libertarian Party of Virginia.
- Hunter, Melanie (2004). "Libertarian, Green, Independent Party Candidates Hold Debate in NYC". CNSNews.com.
- Thirtieth Council of the City of Berkley. "The Thirty-Fourth Meeting of the Thirtieth Council of the City of Berkley" (PDF). Thirtieth Council of the City of Berkley.
- Berkley City Government. "2005 Election Results". Berkley City Government.
- Murphy, Shannon (November 7, 2007). "A Vote for Change: Former Police Captain Earns Most Votes in Council Race". Times Herald.
- Meridian Township Board. "Charter Township of Meridian Township Board Regular Meeting Meridian Township Board".
- Brennan, Ryan. "Libertarian Party: Number of Libertarians in Office: 601+". ThirdPartyNews.net.
- Stempfle, Greg (May–June 2002). "Campaign Conference Recap" (PDF). Libertarian Party of Michigan.
- Libertarian Party of Michigan. "Defender of Liberty Awards". Libertarian Party of Michigan.
- Libertarian Party of Michigan Website
- National Libertarian Party website
- University of Michigan Library Reference
- League of Women Voters Election Guide
- Vote USA Michigan 2006 Election
- Greg Creswell's Vote USA Posting.
- Gregory Creswell's early role in placing MCRI on the Ballot
- Article on the late Lloyd Sherman, holder of many public offices
- International Society for Individual Liberty, Michigan Chapter