Wayne Allyn Root
July 20, 1961 |
Mount Vernon, New York, U.S.
|Political party||Republican (Before 2007,
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
Wayne Allyn Root (born July 20, 1961) is an American businessman, politician, television and radio personality, best-selling author, international business speaker, television producer and political commentator. He is opening speaker and Master of Ceremonies at many Donald Trump events. His radio show "WAR Now: The Wayne Allyn Root Show" is aired in afternoon drive time in Las Vegas and will soon be nationally syndicated. He is a frequent guest on TV shows such as Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO, Fox & Friends on Fox News, and Newsmax TV, and gives hundreds of radio interviews annually. His latest book "ANGRY WHITE MALE" will be released on August 23, 2016.
Root was a longtime Republican Party member and supporter who self-identified as a Libertarian Republican. In 2007, Root joined the Libertarian Party. He ran for the Libertarian Party presidential nomination in the 2008 election. He finished third at the 2008 Libertarian National Convention, endorsing Bob Barr, who went on to the party's presidential nomination. Root then became the Libertarian Party vice presidential nominee. He was elected to the Libertarian National Committee as an At-Large Member in 2010 and re-elected in 2012. In September of that year, he left the Libertarian Party, re-joined the Republican Party and endorsed Republican nominee Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential election. He supports presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election and had stated his intention to run for the U.S. Senate from Nevada in 2016 but he did not do so.
Early life and education
Root was born in Mount Vernon, New York in 1961, the son of the late David and Stella Root. His father was a butcher from Bronxville, New York, who dabbled in third party politics as one of the original founders of the New York State Conservative Party.
||This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Root's TV handicapping career began in New York City on WNBC radio (now WFAN) in the early 1980s. He moved onto NBC "Source Radio Network" syndicated around the country in over 100 markets as a sports talk host. He later became one of the youngest anchormen and national TV hosts in America from 1989 through the early 1990s on Financial News Network
TV producer and personality
Root was the creator, executive producer and co-host (along with HBO's Max Kellerman) of King of Vegas on Spike TV. He is a producer of Ghost Adventures on Travel Channel. Root is the Creator and Executive Producer of the new show "Las Vegas Law" on ID channel (Investigation Discovery).
Root is the author of several books, including The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide and The Murder of the Middle Class. Other books include The Zen of Gambling,The Joy of Failure!, The King of Vegas' Guide to Gambling, Millionaire Republican, and The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold & Tax Cuts. Root's latest book, released in 2015, is The Power of Relentless: 7 Secrets to Achieving Mega-Success, Financial Freedom and the Life of Your Dreams. His new book "ANGRY WHITE MALE" will be released on August 23rd, 2016.
Root had been a longtime Republican Party member and supporter who self-identified as a Libertarian Republican. In 2007, Root ended his association with the Republican Party and joined the Libertarian Party. He wrote a book on his libertarian views, The Conscience of a Libertarian, which was published in 2009.
2008 presidential campaign
On May 4, 2007, Root declared his candidacy for the Libertarian Party's 2008 presidential nomination on Las Vegas' Fox 5 television station. On February 5, 2008, he placed second in the Missouri Libertarian presidential primary with 18% of the vote (47% voted for "Uncommitted"). He came in second in Arizona and third in California, without campaigning in any of these states.
On May 25, 2008, Root advanced to the fifth ballot of the Libertarian Party presidential nomination vote at the 2008 Libertarian National Convention before being eliminated and endorsing Bob Barr, who went on to the party's presidential nomination. Root then became the Libertarian Party vice presidential nominee, securing the nod in the third round of voting for that nomination.
Libertarian National Committee
In 2010, Root ran for the position of Chair of the Libertarian National Committee of the Libertarian Party. He was defeated by Mark Hinkle by a vote of 228–281 in the third round. He subsequently succeeded in being elected to the Libertarian National Committee as an At-Large Member.
In July 2011 Root was elected chair of the "Libertarian National Congressional Committee", a Federal Elections Commission registered entity. He renamed it the "Libertarian National Campaign Committee."
At the 2012 Libertarian National Convention, Root again was elected to the Libertarian National Committee as an At-Large Member, despite being seen by some LP members as being part of the "top-down faction." The party's 2012 presidential candidate Gary Johnson endorsed Root.
Return to the Republican Party
In September 2012, Root resigned all Libertarian Party positions, re-joined the Republican Party and endorsed Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential election. He predicted Romney would win the election against incumbent President Barack Obama, citing, among other factors, that the "Enthusiasm Factor" for Romney was "huge".
Following Romney's defeat in the election, Root commented in a Fox News editorial: "Well, I was wrong. The 2012 electorate looked almost identical to 2008. Obama's supporters didn’t just come for a second helping of misery—they came out enthusiastically and even appeared to cheer for more."
Root has announced that he intended to run as a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate in Nevada in 2016, for the seat held by retiring Democratic Senator Harry Reid. However, he did not run. He supports Republican nominee Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election.
Root supports smaller government, reduced spending, reduced entitlements, reduced bureaucracy, dramatically lower taxes, and greater personal freedom for all individuals. In the area of education, he supports more parental control, more emphasis on school choice (moving education to the state and local level), and increased competition through vouchers. Root and his wife choose to home-school their children. He is also a strong supporter of gun rights for the individual. Root is a small businessman who believes the 2-party system is built on corruption, greed and bribery. He is a fiscal conservative. He believes most social issues should be determined at the state and local level. In several of Root's recent books, Root calls for a low 15% flat tax emulating what he believes to be the most "successful" economy in the world — Hong Kong.
In another published commentary, Root speculated that President Obama attended Columbia University as a foreign exchange student, citing his "gut instinct" as evidence, and that President Obama was indoctrinated into Marxism while attending Columbia. Root was specifically referring to the fact that Obama's childhood years spent with his mother in Indonesia. In response to Senator Harry Reid's speculation about Mitt Romney's tax returns, Root offered speculation on Obama's college records.
Root resides in Henderson, Nevada, with his wife Debra. The couple have 4 kids.
- Betting to Win on Sports (as Wayne Alan Root, with Wilbur Cross). Bantam. 1989. ISBN 978-0-553-34789-0.
- The Joy of Failure!: How to Turn Failure, Rejection, and Pain into Extraordinary Success. Summit Publishing Group. 1997. ISBN 978-1-56530-206-8.
- The Zen of Gambling: The Ultimate Guide to Risking It All and Winning at Life (with Paul Pease). Tarcher. 2004. ISBN 978-1-58542-402-3.
- Millionaire Republican. Tarcher. 2005. ISBN 978-1-58542-512-9.
- The King of Vegas' Guide to Gambling: How to Win Big at Poker, Casino Gambling & Life!The Zen of Gambling updated. Tarcher. 2006. ISBN 978-1-58542-529-7.
- The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold & Tax Cuts. Wiley. 2009. ISBN 978-0-470-45265-3.
- The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide: How to Survive, Thrive, and Prosper During Obamageddon. Regnery Publishing. 2013. ISBN 978-1621570912.
- The Murder of the Middle Class. Regnery Publishing. 2014. ISBN 978-1621572213.
- "Home". Rootforamerica.com. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- McCullagh, Declan (November 6, 2009). "Did Barack Obama Actually Attend Columbia?". CBSNews.com. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- Vinciguerra, Thomas (October 3, 2008). Vinciguerra, Thomas (October 5, 2008). "The Life of the 3rd Party". New York Times. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- Wayne Allyn Root, The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gambling & Tax Cuts, John Wiley and Sons, 2009, p. 352, ISBN 0-470-45265-X, 9780470452653
- Elfman, Doug (November 10, 2013). "Root's next show on Mormon wives". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "My Libertarian Awakening". Archived from the original on December 24, 2011. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Presidential and VP Vote Totals". Archived from the original on May 28, 2008. Retrieved May 26, 2008.
- (2010-05-31) "Root falters in bid to grab top Libertarian post", Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved June 1, 2010.
- Libertarian National Congressional Committee Federal Elections Commission filings page.
- Wayne Allyn Root, Root Elected Chairman of Libertarian National Congressional Committee (LNCC), Libertarian Party website blog, July 13, 2010.
- "About Us". Lncc.org. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- Garret Quinn, Starchild Is Here, Reason magazine, May 6, 2012.
- Garrett Quinn,Gary Johnson: The LNC Chair Race is Exciting! Interesting!, Reason magazine, May 6, 2012
- Root, Wayne Allyn (September 17, 2014) "Why This Ex-Libertarian is Voting Mitt Romney", Townhall.com. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- Quinn, Garrett (September 14, 2012). "An Exit Interview With Wayne Allyn Root". Reason Online. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- Allyn Root, Wayne (October 12, 2012). "Las Vegas Oddsmaker Explains Why He Predicts Romney Landslide". Townhall.com.
- Abad-Santos, Alexander (January 4, 2013). "It's Official: Romney Got 47% of the Vote". The Atlantic.
- Allyn Root, Wayne (November 13, 2012). "What went wrong with my prediction about Mitt Romney and the 2012 election". Fox News.
- Starr, Aaron. "Wayne Root leaves Libertarian Party leadership, will seek US Senate seat". Independent Political Report. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- Robin Leach (May 26, 2016). "It's Bernie Sanders vs. L.V.'s Wayne Allyn Root on 'Real Time With Bill Maher'". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Obama's College Classmate: 'The Obama Scandal is at Columbia'". Archived from the original on May 4, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "Wayne Allyn Root's Confusing Obama/Columbia/Communist Conspiracy". Right Wing Watch. 2013-01-05. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- "Barack Obama: The Ghost of Columbia University". TheBlaze.com. 2013-06-04. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- Official website
- Wayne Allyn Root at the Internet Movie Database
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Interview on Wikinews
- YouTube page
|Party political offices|
|Libertarian nominee for Vice President of the United States