List of Superfund sites in Indiana
This is a list of Superfund sites in Indiana designated under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) environmental law. The CERCLA federal law of 1980 authorized the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to create a list of polluted locations requiring a long-term response to clean up hazardous material contaminations. These locations are known as Superfund sites, and are placed on the National Priorities List (NPL). The NPL guides the EPA in "determining which sites warrant further investigation" for environmental remediation. As of March 26, 2010, there were 32 Superfund sites on the National Priorities List in Indiana. No additional sites are currently proposed for entry on the list. Nine sites have been cleaned up and removed from the list.
|IND000715490||Conrail Rail Yard (Elkhart)||Elkhart||A variety of chlorinated compounds, including TCE and carbon tetrachloride escaped into the local aquifer as a result of accidents and other releases at this site. Groundwater contamination formed two distinct plumes migrating to the St. Joseph River.||06/24/1988||08/30/1990||07/12/2004||N/A||N/A|
|IND980500292||Himco Dump||Elkhart||This location was used as a dump for a variety of materials between 1960 and 1976. It was operated by Himco Waste Away.||06/24/1988||02/21/1990||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|IND016360265||American Chemical Service, Inc.||Lake||Aquifers beneath the site are contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as benzene, toluene, xylene, and vinyl chloride, and with semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs) such as creosote.||09/08/1983||09/21/1984||09/27/2004||N/A||N/A|
|IND016395899||Carter Lee Lumber Co.||Marion||Soil contaminated with heavy metals including arsenic, cadmium, chromium, copper, cyanide and various volatile organic compounds.||06/24/1988||03/31/1989||09/29/1995||N/A||07/09/1996|
|IND006418651||Bennett Stone Quarry||Monroe||This location had been used for dumping of electrical parts, including a large number of PCB-contaminated capacitors by Westinghouse Electric.||09/08/1983||09/21/1984||09/25/2000||N/A||N/A|
|IND980794341||Lemon Lane Landfill||Monroe||Allegedly, wastes were incinerated on-site. No records were kept of the types or quantities of wastes received. Of primary concern are large quantities of exposed capacitors containing PCBs.||12/30/1982||09/08/1983||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|IND980614556||Neal's Landfill (Bloomington)||Monroe||Capacitors and arrestors containing PCBs, as well as PCB-contaminated capacitor insulation material, rags, and filter clay, were disposed of at the landfill by Westinghouse Electric.||12/30/1982||09/08/1983||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|IND001213503||Continental Steel Corp. (Kokomo)||Howard||Chromium, cadmium, aresnic, lead, and iron constituents known to be in the impoundment, in on-site ground water. PCB, Vinyl Chloride, Benzofluoranthene.||6/24/1988||3/31/1989||8/10/2011||N/A||N/A|
|INN000510479||Contaminated Ground Water Plume (Kokomo)||Howard||Vinyl Chloride and arsenic have been detected in several of the City of Kokomo’s municipal water wells.||9/22/2014||3/26/2015||N/A||N/A||N/A|
- List of Superfund sites in the United States
- List of environmental issues
- List of waste types
- EPA list of proposed Superfund sites in Indiana
- EPA list of current Superfund sites in Indiana
- EPA list of Superfund site construction completions in Indiana
- EPA list of partially deleted Superfund sites in Indiana
- EPA list of deleted Superfund sites in Indiana
- EPA Region 5 Superfund NPL Fact Sheets for Indiana
- P.L. 96-510, 42 U.S.C. §§ 9601–9675), December 11, 1980.
- "National Priorities List". United States Enivironmental Protection Agency. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- "Conrail Rail Yard Superfund site progress profile". Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "Himco Dump Superfund site progress profile". Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "American Chemical Service, Inc. Superfund site progress profile". EPA. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- "Carter Lee Lumber Co. Superfund site progress profile". Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "Bennett Stone Quarry Superfund site progress profile". Archived from the original on October 14, 2013. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "Lemon Lane Landfill Superfund site progress profile". Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "Neal's Landfill Superfund site progress profile". Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "NPL Site Narrative for Continental Steel Corp.". Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "NPL Site Narrative for Kokomo Ground Water". Retrieved August 31, 2015.