Hazrat Nizamuddin Dargah (Urdu: نظام الدّین درگاہ, Hindi: निज़ामुद्दीन ) is the dargah (mausoleum) of one of the Sufi saints, Khwaja Nizamuddin Auliya (1238 - 1325 CE). Situated in the Hazrat Nizamuddin West area of Delhi, the dargah is visited by thousands of people every week.
The neighborhood surrounding the dargah is named after the saint, and is divided into two parts along Mathura Road: Nizamuddin West where the Dargah complex and a lively market dominated by Muslim vendors is located, and Nizamuddin East, an upper-Nizamuddin Railway Station.
In popular culture
Arziyan, a qawwali in the film Delhi 6 (2009) composed by A. R. Rahman is dedicated to Nizamuddin Auliya. Kun Faya Kun a song in the movie Rockstar (2011) composed by A. R. Rahman, is also shot at the dargah, featuring Ranbir Kapoor and Nizami Brothers, the traditional qawwals of the dargah. The dargah has also been featured in movies like Bajrangi Bhaijaan featuring Salman Khan and Kareena Kapoor, and in Aawan Akhiyan Jawan Akhiyan a qawwali in the film Ahista Ahista (2006) featuring Soha Ali Khan and Abhay Deol.
Qawwali at Hazrat Nizamuddin Dargah
Qawwali sessions are held every Thursday after Maghrib prayer i.e. sunset time namaz/salat. Often Saturday is also a Qawwali session day but sometimes due to various reasons it is cancelled. But Thursday sessions are never cancelled being precursor to jumme ki raat (i.e. Friday eve).
- Islamic places of pilgrimage in India
- The Hope Project Charitable Trust - NGO with project in area
- Hazarat Shah Turabul Haq Dargah
- Nizamuddin Auliya Dargah, history and structures
- "Ali Zafar visits Nizamuddin Dargah". The Times of India. Feb 24, 2012. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nizamuddin Dargah.|
- A short guide to the dargah Nizamuddin area at Delhi
- Maps of the Dargah Nizamuddin area in New Delhi
- Photos of the dargah of Hazrat Nizamuddin (Delhi)