Sanjeev Kumar Balyan
|Ministry of Water Resource, River development & Ganga rejuvenation of GOI |
Minister of State
26 May 2014 – 1 September 2017
|Prime Minister||Narendra Modi|
|Succeeded by||Arjun Ram Meghwal|
|Member of Parliament|
|Assumed office |
16 May 2014
|Born||23 June 1972|
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Alma mater||Haryana Agricultural University|
Sanjeev Balyan is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party. He was elected to the Lok Sabha in the Indian general elections, 2014 from the Muzaffarnagar constituency. He defeated Kadir Rana of the Bahujan Samaj Party by a margin of more than four lakh votes.
He was appointed as minister of state for Agriculture and food processing in the National Democratic Alliance government in May 2014. Then, in July 2016, he was moved to be Minister of State for Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, under Minister Uma Bharti.
Baliyan was part of a mahapanchayat in September 2013 which was held despite prohibitory orders and allegedly inflamed tensions. UP police charged him with violation of prohibitory orders and promoting enmity between two communities.
In November 2015 a bailable warrant was issued against Balyan. , Balyan was charged with
offences under the Indian Penal Code sections 188 (violating prohibitory orders), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharging his duty) and 341 (wrongful restraint).
In December 2015, Balyan surrendered before a Muzzafarnagar court and obtained bail. Balyan has denied his involvement in the riots and has claimed that he has been booked in a false case and accused of doing things he never did.
Sanjeev Balyan obtained his degrees, including a doctorate in Veterinary Anatomy, from Haryana Agricultural University. He has served as an Assistant Professor and as a veterinary surgeon with the Haryana Government.
- "Constituencywise-All Candidates". Eciresults.nic.in. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Narendra Modi Cabinet reshuffle: Full list". The Indian Express. 6 July 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Big changes in cabinet reshuffle; Prakash Javadekar lands HRD, Ravi Shankar Prasad loses telecom". The Economic Times. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "The Nowhere People of Muzaffarnagar". Rediff.com. 10 April 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Sanjeev Baliyan: From riot accused to central minister". Times of India. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "Arrest Warrant Against BJP Leader Sanjeev Balyan in Muzaffarnagar Riots Case". NDTV. 3 November 2015. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "Balyan surrenders in court, gets bail". Times of India. 18 December 2015. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "Cabinet reshuffle: Modi government's got talent but is it being fully utilised?", The Economic Times, 10 July 2016
- "Muzaffarnagar riots: A Jat family protected 70 Muslims in Fugna village". India Today. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
|This article about a Uttar Pradesh politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Bharatiya Janata Party politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|