Sheriff of Kolkata
The Sheriff of Kolkata is an apolitical titular position of authority bestowed for one year on a prominent citizen of Kolkata (Calcutta). The Sheriff has an office and staff in Calcutta High Court but does not have executive powers. In the order of precedence, the Sheriff ranks just below the Mayor and presides over various city-related functions and conferences and is in charge of receiving foreign guests of the government. Mumbai (Bombay) and Kolkata are the only cities in India to maintain the post of Sheriff.
The Calcutta Shrievalty was established by a Royal Charter issued by King George III of England on March 26, 1774 which created the Supreme Court at Fort William in Calcutta. The charter stipulated that the sheriff would be appointed by the Governor-General in Council from a list of three residents recommended by the Supreme Court in a similar manner to the system of High Sheriffs in England.
In the early years the Sheriff of Calcutta was the executive arm of the judiciary and responsible for the provision of jurors, the safe custody of prisoners and the siezure of goods. From the mid 1800s the power of the position was gradually reduced until it became today's ceremonial post. 
Notable persons in this post
Source: The Sheriff of Calcutta
- 1775: James Macrabey, first Sheriff
- 1778: John Richardson
- 1779: Sir John Hadley D'Oyly, Bt
- 1840: David Hare
- 1846: James McKilligin
- 1866: Seth Arratoon Apcar, first non-European Sheriff
- 1873: Manekji Rustamji, the first Indian Sheriff
- 1874: Raja Digambar Mitra, politician and writer and the first Bengali Sheriff
- 1886: George Yule, merchant
- 1888: Mahendralal Sarkar, doctor and academic
- 1892: James Mackay, 1st Earl of Inchcape
- 1893: Rustamjee Dhanjibhai Mehta
- 1901: Sir George Henry Sutherland
- 1904: Nalin Behari Sircar
- 1905: Baron Cable, British merchant
- 1908: Sir George Henry Sutherland (2nd term)
- 1920: Alfred Pickford, merchant
- 1955: Dr Amulya Chandra Ukil, physician
- 1957, 1958: Shri Suresh Chandra Roy 
- 1968: Ramesh Chandra Majumdar, historian
- 1991: Dr. K.K.H. Siddiqui, cardiologist to the governor of West Bengal
- 1994: Vasant Choudhury, film actor
- 1998: Dr I. S. Roy, Opthalmologist
- 1999: Dr Surendra Kumar Sharma, radiologist
- 2000: Pankaj Lal Roy, cricketer
- 2001: Smt. Suchitra Mitra, the first women Sheriff
- 2002: Sunil Gangopadhyay , Bengali poet
- 2003: Prabir Roy, film producer
- 2004: Dr Sadhan Chandra Ray
- 2005: Chuni Goswami, sportsman
- 2006: Prof. Amal Chakraborty, pediatrician
- 2007: Rathindra Nath Dutta
- 2008: Dr Dulal Kumar Basu
- 2009: Santo Jyoti Mittra
- 2010: Utpal Chatterjee, journalist, professor of IISWBM
- 2011: Indrajit Roy, neurosurgeon 
- 2012: no sheriff
- 2013: Dr. Swapankumar Ghosh, physician
- 2014: Ranjit Mallick, actor 
- "The High Court at Calcutta" (PDF). Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- "The Tribune".
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta Metro".
- "Neurosurgeon Indrajit Roy will be new sheriff of Kolkata". sify news. Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- "Ranjit the sheriff". The Telegrapn. Retrieved 23 July 2017.