This article possibly contains original research. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tower of Ulagalantha Perumal Temple
|Named for||Temples and Heritage|
|• Type||Sirappu Peruratchi|
|Elevation||73 m (240 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Tirukoilur or Tirukkoyilur also called Thirukkovalur or Kovalur. is a Town Panchayat in kallakurichi district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Tirukkoyilur is located at . It has an average elevation of 73 metres (239 feet).
As of 2014[update] India census, Tirukkoyilur had a population of 30212. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Tirukkoyilur has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 73%. In Tirukkoyilur, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Tirukoilur is one of the Ashta Veeratanams, Ashta – eight Veeratanam – Place of Bravery. As per legends, Shiva is believed to have destroyed eight different demons namely Andakasuran, Gajasuran, Jalandasuran, Thirupuradhi, Kaman, Arjunan, Dakshan and Taaragasuran. There are eight temples built signifying each of his victories in the war, and also as places where he is believed to have performed with fury. The eight temples are: Tiruvadigai Veerattaaneswarar Temple at Thiruvadigai, Tirukkovilur Veerateshwarar Temple at Tirukoilur, Veerateswarar temple at Korukkai or Thirukkurukkai, Amirtagateswarar Temple at Thirukadaiyur, Vazhuvur Verateswarar Temple at Vazhuvoor, Keelaparasalur Veerateswarar Temple at Tirupariyalur, Kandeeswarar Temple at Thirukkandiyur and Tiruvirkudi Veerataneswarar Temple at Thiruvirkudi. Shiva in all these temples are described to have used bow and arrow, trident and spear.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tirukoyilur.|
- "thirukoyilur (kovalur virattam) sthala puranam". www.shaivam.org. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Tirukkoyilur
- "Census of India 2014: Data from the 2014 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- P., Karthigayan (2016). History of Medical and Spiritual Sciences of Siddhas of Tamil Nadu. Notion Press. p. 388. ISBN 9789352065523.
- Madhavan 2014, p. 145
- Cite error: The named reference
Rwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).