|Xu Heyi, Chairman|
|Products||Commercial and passenger vehicles|
|Revenue||480,738,070,000 renminbi (2018)|
|Owner||Beijing Municipal Government|
BAIC Group (officially Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd.) is a Chinese state-owned enterprise and holding company of several automobile and machine manufacturers located in Beijing, China.
Its principal subsidiaries include the passenger car maker Beijing Motor; military vehicle and light truck maker BAW; and truck, bus, and agricultural equipment maker, Foton Motor. BAIC also makes Hyundai and Mercedes-branded cars for sale on the Chinese market through the Beijing Hyundai and Beijing Benz joint ventures (of BAIC Motor).
It is often ranked as the fifth or fourth-largest Chinese automaker by volume and boasts several successful passenger-car joint ventures with foreign firms. However, unlike peers such as SAIC Motor, a significant proportion of BAIC's output is agricultural, commercial, and military vehicles.
BAIC was one of the top ten most-productive Chinese automakers in 2010. This may be due to subsidiary Beijing Automobile Works and a sustained surge of popularity for Beijing Hyundai products. It reached fifth place by selling nearly 1.5 millions units garnering a market share of more than 8%. 2011 production of 1.5 million whole vehicles made BAIC the fifth largest vehicle-maker in China that year in terms of units manufactured. BAIC remained fifth in 2012, which saw the company make 1.7 million whole vehicles; 30% of production was commercial or heavy-duty products.
Saab technology transfer
After several unsuccessful attempts to buy struggling European automakers in 2009, such as Saab, Volvo, and Opel as well as technology from the American Chrysler, BAIC fulfilled its aim of obtaining valuable Western technology that same year purchasing technology from a former unit of General Motors, Saab Automobile. This allows it to produce older Saab models (but not brand them as Saabs) for sale in China.
Cars with Saab technology were expected to go on sale in 2012 but didn't debut until May 2013. The first Saab-based model on sale is the C70 or 绅宝 (Shenbao), which may be translated as "gentleman's treasure".
BAIC has a wide product line that includes more than the buses that are its traditional manufacture. Offerings encompass many kinds of commercial vehicles, including: agricultural machinery, construction machinery, light trucks, and military vehicles, etc. As of 2010, commercial vehicle production capacity is estimated to be around 700,000 units per year. Production capacity figures may consider engines and vehicles as discrete.
The company sells self-branded consumer products in addition to joint-venture developed vehicles under the brands of foreign manufacturers Hyundai Motor Company and Daimler AG. BAIC-branded military and civilian light trucks have also been produced.
- Beijing BJ30 (BAIC BJ20)
- Beijing BJ40 (BJ40 Plus/ BJ40L)
- Beijing BJ80
- BAIC BJ90
- BAIC BJ212 (Not available for civilian use)
- BAIC BJ2020 (Not available for civilian use)
- BAIC BJ2022 (Not available for civilian use)
- BAIC BJ2023 (Not available for civilian use)
- Beijing U5 (Previously Senova D50)
- Beijing U7 (Previously Senova Zhidao)
- Beijing X3 (Previously Senova X35)
- Beijing X5 (Previously Senova Zhixing)
- Beijing X7
- Beijing EU5 (formerly BJEV EU5)
- Beijing EU260 (formerly BJEV EU5)
- Beijing EX360 (formerly BJEV EX360)
- Beijing EX3 (formerly BJEV EX3)
- Beijing EX5 (formerly BJEV EX5)
- Beijing EC3 (formerly BJEV EC3)
- Beijing EC5 (formerly BJEV EC5)
- Beijing EC220
- Beijing Lite R300
Beiqi Foton Motor Co., Ltd. (Foton Motor) is a subsidiary of BAIC which designs and manufactures trucks, buses, sport utility vehicles, and agricultural machinery. It is headquartered in Changping, Beijing.
- Foton Midi
- Foton Sauvana
- Foton SUP
- Foton Toano
- Foton Tunland
- Foton View
- Foton MP-X
- Foton Grand General
- Foton Gratour im6
- Foton Gratour im8
- Foton Gratour ix5
- Foton Gratour ix7
A Foton BJ6180C8CTD articulated LNG bus in Beijing Bus service
Ruili is a sub-division of BAIC. They produce their vehicles under the Doda brand.
- Ruili Doda EV160 (based on the first generation Smart Fortwo)
- Ruili Doda V8 (rebadged Joylong iFly)
- Ruili Doda V2 (rebadged Weiwang M20)
The Beijing Light Automobile Company (BLAC), until 1988 the Beijing Automobile Factory No. 2, started in the late 1960s when production of the independently developed BJ130 began. Its introduction was slowed considerably by the upheavals of the Cultural revolution. In 1984, assembly of the Isuzu Elf/NHR began (originally as the BJ136, later as the BJ1030/1040/1050 series). In 1988, a new plant for these trucks was built with aid from the Japanese, and petrol and diesel light truck engines were also produced. BLAC went bankrupt in 2002.
Current joint ventures
Beijing Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd. is an automobile manufacturing company headquartered in Beijing, China, and is a 50:50 joint-venture between BAIC and Hyundai Motor Company. Established in 2002, it manufactures in Shunyi District, a satellite city of Beijing, producing Hyundai-branded automobiles for the Chinese market. New models designed for the Chinese market are due to appear.
As of 2010, Beijing Benz, a BAIC joint venture with German automaker Daimler AG, makes the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and E-Class models for sale in China and seeks to make more of the models it sells in China locally.
Beijing Foton Daimler
Huansu is a brand under Beiqi Yinxiang Automobile, a joint venture between Beijing Auto (Beiqi) and the Yinxiang Group from Chongqing.
Weiwang is a brand under Beiqi Yinxiang Automobile, a joint venture between Beijing Auto (Beiqi) and the Yinxiang Group from Chongqing.
Former joint ventures
Beijing Jeep Corporation became China's first Sino-western automotive joint venture when it was established in 1984 with American Motors Corporation. Beijing Jeep subsequently became Beijing Benz-DaimlerChrysler Automotive Co Ltd and then Beijing Benz Automotive Co Ltd.
- Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For State ownership, see BAIHC Homepage > About Beiqi > BAIHC Information Archived 2010-06-10 at the Wayback Machine Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. Official Site
- "2014年11月汽车分车型前十家生产企业销量排名". caam.org.cn. China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM). 12 December 2014. Archived from the original on 13 December 2014. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "Into The Biac". 北汽集团. Retrieved 2021-08-30.
- "The Beijing Auto Works Dongfanghong BJ760 Is A Beautiful Chinese-Russian Sedan | ChinaCarHistory". 2017-09-29. Retrieved 2021-08-30.
- For Beijing Hyundai contribution to 2010 sales, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties —— makes great endeavor to the quicker development Archived 2011-07-07 at the Wayback Machine BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- China Car Market 101: Who Makes All Those 18 Million Cars? thetruthaboutcars.com, January 19, 2011
- 2011年前十家乘用车生产企业销量排名. China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM). 2012-01-20. Archived from the original on 2012-08-20.
- "2012年12月分车型前十家生产企业销量排名". China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM). 14 January 2013. Archived from the original on 15 January 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- For attempt to purchase Saab Automobile, see "Koenigsegg — press release". Cision Wire. Archived from the original on 2009-12-21. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- For attempt to purchase Volvo Automobile, see SPECIAL REPORT-Saving Volvo:Geely buys brand and management test reuters.com, Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:18pm EDT
- For attempt to purchase Opel, see TIMELINE-Deals between Western and China auto firms reuters.com, Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04am EDT
- For discussion of an asset sale with Chrysler, see Chrysler renews search for China partner: sources reuters.com, Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27pm EDT
- For purchase of Saab technology, see China's BAIC buys Saab assets; Spyker still in talks reuters.com, Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:18am EST
- What BAIC plans to build on its Saab treasures chinacartimes.com, 19 October 2010
- BAIC paid $197 mln for Saab assets - paper reuters.com, Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41pm EST
- "Big hurdle for a small brand --- Beijing Auto attempts to grow out of its niche with Saab-based models and new factories." Norihiko Shirouzu. The Wall Street Journal Asia. Hong Kong: 13 Oct 2010. pg. 19
- "CHINA: BAIC's Senova D series sedan goes on sale". just - auto global news. Bromsgrove.14 May 2013.
- "BAIC C70 to become the 'Gentlemens Treasure' in Chinese". China Car Times. 8 May 2012. Archived from the original on 14 May 2012.
- For wide product line, see BAIHC Homepage > About Beiqi > BAIHC Information Archived 2010-06-10 at the Wayback Machine Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. Official Site
- For bus as traditional product, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- *For agricultural machinery, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For construction machinery, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For light trucks, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For military vehicles, see BAIHC Homepage > About Beiqi > BAIHC Information Archived 2010-06-10 at the Wayback Machine Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. Official Site
- "Hummer-Inspired Chinese Trucks (3): BAIC Yongshi". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- "RUILI ELECTRIC VEHICLES".
- "Ruili DoDa EV160".
- "浴火重生BJ130综述稿" [A brief History of the BJ130]. Made in China (in Chinese). NetEase Inc. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- "Beijing LAC Китай" [Beijing LAC (China)]. Книги и Каталоги (Books and Catalogues) (in Russian). За рулем. Archived from the original on 2011-08-19.
- Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT
- For Hyundai as partner, see UPDATE 1-Hyundai Motor signs deal with Chinese carmaker reuters.com, Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36pm EDT
- For strong 2009 sales, see Hyundai smokes the competition money.cnn.com, January 5, 2010: 9:45 AM ET
- For strong 2010 sales, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties —— makes great endeavor to the quicker development Archived 2011-07-07 at the Wayback Machine BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- HYUNDAI REVEALS THREE NEW MODELS AT SHANGHAI AUTO SHOW Hyundai Official Site
- For legal name, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties—makes great endeavor to the quicker development Archived 2011-07-07 at the Wayback Machine BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- For commercial trucks and Daimler AG as partner, see Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT