The Leahead brand was first previewed in 2013 at the Shanghai Motor Show by a subcompact crossover SUV concept and was officially announced in October 2014. A concept of the first production car for the marque, the Leahead i1, was unveiled at the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show and the production-ready version was unveiled at the Guangzhou Auto Show later that year.
The i1 is an electric supermini hatchback based on the 5-door second generation Toyota Vitz and has a autonomy range of about 128 kilometres (80 mi). It has a 22 kWh battery and the motor delivers up to 70 kilowatts (95 hp).
- Zhang, Wen (18 October 2014). "新品牌领志/雷凌混动 广汽丰田规划曝光!" [New marque, Leahead. GAC Toyota automotive planning revealed!]. auto.sohu.com (in Chinese). Sohu. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- de Feijter, Tycho (19 October 2014). "GAC-Toyota To Launch New Sub Brand In China IN 2015". Car News China. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- Wu, Yutong (20 November 2015). "广州车展：广汽丰田领志i1量产版首亮相" [Guangzhou Auto Show: GAC Toyota's Leahead i1 production version debut]. xcar.com.cn (in Chinese). Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Leahead i1 EV". Wattev2buy.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- E, Zhichao; Wu, Xiaoqin (5 July 2018). "上半年共召回汽车486万辆 日产、奥迪、福特召回数量较高" [In the first half of the year, a total of 4.86 million vehicles were recalled. Nissan, Audi and Ford recalled a higher number]. auto.people.com.cn (in Chinese). People's Daily - Auto Channel. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "Toyota to recall 313,712 cars with faulty airbags". chinadaily.com.cn. China Daily. 5 April 2018. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "GAC Toyota launches pure electric SUV at Chengdu Motor Show 2018". Gasgoo. 3 September 2018. Retrieved 26 June 2019.