This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||ASX: BSL|
|Headquarters||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
Number of locations
|Australia (main headquarters), |
|Graham Kraehe (Chairman) |
Mark Vasella (CEO)
|Revenue||AU$ 9.202 billion (FY 2016)|
Number of employees
BlueScope Steel Limited is a flat product steel producer with operations in Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, North America, and Asia. It was demerged from BHP Billiton on 22 July 2002 as BHP Steel and renamed BlueScope Steel on 17 November 2003.
The company employs 16,000 personnel. It has its largest operating plant, an integrated steelworks, at Port Kembla near Wollongong in the Illawarra, New South Wales. In October 2011, No.6 Blast furnace, one of two at Port Kembla, was shut down, reducing the plant's production capacity by 50% after the company decided to exit the export market.
Major products include steel slab, hot rolled coil, steel plate, automotive steel, galvanised steel, corrugated galvanised iron, "Zincalume" brand (55% aluminium, 43.5% zinc, 1.5% silicon) coated steel, and "Colorbond" brand pre-painted steel. Tinplate production ceased in March 2007.
Paul O'Malley (then CFO) replaced the previous CEO Kirby Adams in October 2007.
In February 2014 Bluescope Steel purchased Orrcon Steel from Hills Corporation. Its products include RHS, SHS and CHS structural tubular steel, hot-rolled structural steel and fencing, roofing and building accessories.
Orrcon Steel supplies steel, tube and pipe to steel fabricators, furniture and trailer body manufacturers, housing and construction companies and pipeline and infrastructure engineering firms.
Major manufacturing facilities
- Port Kembla near Wollongong in the Illawarra, New South Wales.
- Western Port in Hastings near Melbourne, Victoria.
- New Zealand Steel, Glenbrook near Waiuku, New Zealand.
- Orrcon Brisbane Mill, Salisbury, Brisbane.
- Orrcon Precision Tubing Mill, Adelaide.
Finished products are transported around Australia by rail freight operator Pacific National. In February 2007 PN secured Australia's largest ever rail freight contract ($1 billion) with BlueScope Steel and OneSteel, to carry approximately 3 million tonnes of steel product each year for 7 years.
- BlueScope Steel Youth Orchestra
- Southern Stars, Wollongong
- "BHP Billiton group demerger 2002". Australian Tax Office. 20 July 2005.
- "Tata BlueScope Steel inaugurates state-of-the-art Coated Steel Manufacturing facility at Jamshedpur" (Press release). Tata BlueScope Steel. 6 March 2012. Archived from the original on 8 May 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "PN wins steel deal". World Cargo News. February 2007. Archived from the original on 2012-02-20. Retrieved 24 April 2009.
- BlueScope Steel Australia
- BlueScope Steel Australia Corporate Website
- Butler Manufacturing (a North American subsidiary that makes pre-fab buildings)
- North Star BlueScope Steel (Joint venture with Cargill Inc., located in Delta, OH USA)
- Official website Tata BlueScope Steel — An equal joint venture between Tata Steel and BlueScope Steel
- NS BlueScope, an equal joint venture between BlueScope Steel and Nippon Steel