Faculty of Management Studies (Delhi)
|Type||Public business school|
|University of Delhi|
|Dean||Sunita Singh Sengupta|
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Faculty of Management Studies (also known as FMS Delhi and The Red Building of Dreams) is a business school located in New Delhi, India. It was established in 1954 under the aegis of the University of Delhi and is often cited as the best business school in India owing to its great ROI and very high placement statistics. The institute was started at the Delhi School of Economics premises under the then Dean, A. Das Gupta, of the Delhi College of Engineering (DCE). The department of commerce of the Delhi College of Engineering (DCE) now the Delhi Technological University (DTU) was abolished and the Faculty of Management Studies was established. The first set of professors were trained at the Stanford Graduate School of Business. The institute has since then expanded on the number of management courses available.
FMS offers a full-time MBA, an executive MBA, an executive MBA in health care administration and doctoral programmes. In addition to all these programs, FMS also regularly conducts Management Development Programmes.
The admission to the course is done on the basis of score in Common Admission Test (CAT) conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). FMS earlier had its own entrance exam which was discontinued starting session 2012-14. For the Doctoral program, the maximum number of Seats is 20. The candidates are required to appear in the entrance test conducted every year in November-December. However, candidates falling under some categories are exempted from appearing in this entrance test. The MBA Executive program has an intake of 159 students, whereas MBA Executive (Health Care Administration) programme has an intake of 39 students.
Recently the admission process has been modified for full time students wherein CAT weightage is 60%, while remaining is kept for past academic records, group discussions, extempore and personal interviews.
Student Life and Participation
FMS is the only business school which conducts the Management fest (Fiesta) and Cultural & Sports fest (Elysium) separately. For the sports fest, FMS being a part of University of Delhi, has access to the sports facilities of other colleges of Delhi University like Hindu College, University of Delhi, Delhi School of Economics and Shri Ram College of Commerce.
As a Full Time MBA student at FMS, one gets an opportunity to join the Management Science Association(MSA), a completely student run body, which coordinates all these activities. The various societies that form part of MSA at FMS are:
- Alumni Relations Cell - strengthens the relationship with alumni
- Media Relations Cell - serves as the official mouthpiece of the Management Science Association (MSA). Extensive research for surveys and establishing two-way relationship with various media houses are done by them
- Systems Society (SysSoc) - official IT and Operations Management Society)
- Cultural Society (CulSoc) - responsible for managing cultural activities (intra as well as inter college)
- Entrepreneurship Cell (E-Cell) - assists students who take up entrepreneurship as a career choice
- Finance Society (FinSoc) - for students that aspire to endorse finance as a career opportunity
- HR & OB Society (HRSoc) - provides students a snapshot of what the corporate world Club activities include a mentorship program, placement preparation, and workshops.
- Marketing Society (MarkSoc) - aims to make FMS as a world class marketing campus by building a center of academic excellence and constantly furthering the interests of all its stakeholders.
- The Consulting Club (CONclub) is a student-run organization with the agenda of liaising with Global Consults to increase their presence at FMS, while working towards preparing the students for a career in consulting.
- Scholastic Council (FSC) - acts as a bridge between faculty and the student community and is also an official representative of the college for liaison with international universities.
- Sports Society - conducts intra FMS sports competition
- Team Fiesta - responsible for the successful conduction of business events
- Vihaan-The Social Service Cell - ensures greater student involvement in the welfare of the community.
Apart from these primary clubs, FMS has voluntary associations like Alpha Investment and Research Club which runs a mutual fund by themselves, Strategy labs puts forward various live projects and business case studies and Oratory Club aimed to improve literary and socio-cultural aspects.
As a founding member of the Association of Management Development Institutions of South Asia (AMDISA), FMS has collaborations with the following institutions:
- ESADE, Barcelona, Spain
- INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
- Manchester Business School, England
- Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, Netherlands
- Bielefeld University, Germany
- University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, USA
- California State University, Fullerton, Fullerton, USA
- University of Wisconsin–Whitewater, White Water, USA
In 2005, Union Human Resource Development Ministry, Govt. Of India has proposed a new chair in the name of the former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, now known as Rajiv Gandhi Chair for Technology Management and Innovation (MHRD, GOI)to promote management of innovation. The Industrial Finance Corporation of India Chair is also one of the professional chairs instituted by industry at FMS.
|Business/Management – India|
|Business Today (2016)||7|
|Outlook India (2016)||4|
|Business Standard (2016)||Super League 1|
FMS Delhi was ranked 4th in Outlook India's "Top 100 Management Schools" of 2016 and 7th in Business Today's "India's best B-schools 2016". Business Standard has ranked the institute in its top group "Super League 1" in 2016, with an overall percentile of 95%.
FMS has a strong alumni base with an alumni association called FMS Alumni Association. Some of its notable alumni are:
- Anupama Verma - Model, actress, and television personality from Lucknow. She was a contestant on Bigg Boss 1 in 2006.
- Harit Nagpal- MD & CEO, Tata Sky Ltd 
- Ira Singhal - Indian Civil Services Examination Topper 2014 (conducted by UPSC)
- Nishikant Dubey - Nishikant Dubey is a member of the 16th Lok Sabha of India. He represents the Godda constituency of Jharkhand, is a member of the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party). He was also member of 15th Lok Sabha of India.
- Raghav Bahl- Founding/Controlling Shareholder & Managing Director, Network 18
- Sandip Das- Managing Director, Reliance Jio Infocomm
- Sat Parashar - Head of the Banking Center at the Bahrain Institute of Banking and Finance, Director at the Indian Institutes of Management, and was also the director of the Indian Institute of Management Indore, India from 2004 to 2008.
- "Dean's Welcome". www.fms.edu. Faculty of Management Studies. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "The Red Building of Dreams".
- "History - Faculty of Management Studies".
- "Business Today".
- "FMS Placement Statistics - MBA Universe".
- FMS scraps entrance exam turns to CAT
- Systems Society Official Website
- "Entrepreneurs at FMS Delhi".
- "HR and OB Society - Faculty of Management Studies".
- "Marketing Society - Faculty of Management Studies".
- "FIESTA - 2015 - Faculty of Management Studies".
- International Associations | Faculty of Management Studies
- "India's best B-schools 2016: Full List". Business Today. 4 December 2016. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Fits And Start-Ups: The A+ Schools". Outlook India. 3 October 2016.
- "The class of 2016" (PDF). 16 June 2016. pp. 1–4. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- B-School Profile: Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), Delhi
- "UPSC topper Ira Singhal visits FMS, her alma mater". BusinessLine On Campus.
- Network 18
- Maxis' Sandip Das to head Reliance Industries' 4G mobile venture