The gambado appeared in the second edition in the Monstrous Compendium Fiend Folio Appendix (1992). The gambado also appeared for the Forgotten Realms in the revised Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (1993), and reprinted in Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One (1994).
A gambado is a human-sized creature with a cylindrical torso that ends in three long, single-toed feet. Its body is gray in color and can be compressed like a spring; this allows the gambado to spring up or forward, which is its primary means of locomotion. Two long arms ending in razor-sharp claws protrude from its body, and its torso is topped by a humanoid skull-like head.
- Turnbull, Don, ed. Fiend Folio (TSR, 1981)
- Williams, Skip, et al. Monstrous Compendium Fiend Folio Appendix (TSR, 1992)
- Greenwood, Ed. Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (TSR, 1993)
- Wise, David, ed. Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One (TSR, 1994)
- Green, Scott; Peterson, Clark (2002). Tome of Horrors. Necromancer Games. p. 146. ISBN 1-58846-112-2.