Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group
|Headquarters||Guangzhou, Guangdong, China|
|People's Republic of China|
|Chairman: Mr. Zhang Fangyou|
|Website||Guangzhou Automobile Group Company Limited|
A Chinese partner of Japanese companies Toyota and Honda, GAIG owns Chinese production bases that churn out Chinese-market versions of the Japanese carmakers' models, which sell well in Southern China as of 2010.
It subsidiary companies managed to manufacture more than 650,600 units in 2011 placing the company as the 6th most-productive on the domestic market.
Formerly the Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group Company, it was renamed in 2005.
Cars selling under the first car brand exclusive to GAIG, Trumpchi, went on offer in 2011. The sole model is a sedan. The car went on sale in 2011, but the first six months of sales disappointed.
A Trumpchi-branded SUV will be added to the model line in April 2012.
In 2007 GAIG began putting in motion plans to sell automobiles under its own brand and to further this goal had acquired a controlling share in an R&D center at South China University of Technology. The goal of self-branded sales was also brought up on the company's website in 2010.
The company has ownership in a number of Chinese automakers; an incomplete list of GAIG holdings follows.
Toyota joint venture
Guangzhou Automobile Group Co Ltd
Honda joint venture
Fiat joint venture
Fiat signed on to a joint venture with GAC on 6 July 2009, and GAC FIAT Automobiles Co Ltd was incorporated on 9 March 2010. The new company has a production base in Changsha, Hunan Province, that opened on 28 June 2012 to manufacture the Dodge-Dart -based Fiat Viaggio.
- Home > About Us > Introduction GAIG Official Site
- BAIC invests $736 mln to restructure Baolong's production base gasgoo.com, August 19, 2010
- Momentum: China's automotive components sector emerging from the crisis (PDF). KMPG Huazhen. 2009. p. 7. Retrieved 01/03/2012. Check date values in:
- 2011年1-11月前十家汽车生产企业销量排名. China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM). 2011-12-16. Retrieved 01/07/2012. Check date values in:
- Milestones Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group Official Site
- GAIG Stock Co., Ltd. investing.businessweek.com
- "New Models from the 2010 Guangzhou Auto Show (1): GAC Trumpchi". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- GAC listed after 8-year marathon people.com.cn, September 06, 2010
- Lee, Carmen (August 24, 2011). "2011 sales of Trumpchi below expectations". gasgoo.com. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- Lee, Carmen (November 29, 2011). "New GAC SUV to make market debut next year". gasgoo.com. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group. Webb, Alysha, Automotive News, 5/14/2007 Supplement, Vol. 81
- Toyota Motor China Investment Co. Treece, James B., Automotive News, 5/14/2007 Supplement, Vol. 81
- Company Profile Guangzhou Automobile Group Official Site
- Guangzhou Automobile Group Co., Ltd. businessweek.com, Company Snapshot
- China's Guangqi Honda at 95 pct of 2009 sales target reuters.com, Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:30pm EST
- "广汽菲亚特" [Guangzhou Automobile Fiat]. Gacfiatauto.com. 2012-04-03. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- Rowley, Ian (2009-07-07). "Fiat Focuses on China". businessweek.com.
- Company Profile GAC Fiat Official Site
- GAC-Fiat ceremony heralds joint venture Han Tianyang (China Daily) 2009-11-30 08:03
- "Fiat opens new Chinese plant to produce Viaggio". MSNBC. 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "2013 Fiat Viaggio". Car and Driver. 2012-04. Retrieved 2012-07-10. Check date values in: