|Criticism and awards|
Ibn Juzayy al-Kalbi al-Gharnati (693-741/1294-1340) (in Arabic, ابن جزي الكلبي الغرناطي) was a scholar, writer of poetry, history, and law from Al-Andalus. He is mainly known as the writer to whom Ibn Battuta dictated an account of his travels. Ibn Juzayy was the son of Abú-l-Qásim Muhammad Ibn Juzayy (the panegyrist of Abú-l-Hayyáy Yúsuf of Granada) who died in the Battle of Rio Salado in 1340.
Ibn Juzayy wrote the Rihla of Ibn Battuta in 1352-55. It is clear that he copied passages from previous works such as the description of Medina from the Rihla of Ibn Jubayr and the description of Palestine by Mohammed al-Abdari al-Hihi.
His father, Imām Abū al-Qāsim Muḥammad ibn Aḥmad ibn Juzayy al-Kalbī al-Gharnāṭī al-Mālikī (693/1294 – 741/1340), wrote many religious works such as his al-Qawanin al-Fiqhiyyah or "The Laws of Jurisprudence"  a comparative manual of the jurisprudence of the four Sunni madhhabs (Maliki, Hanafi, Shafi`i, Hanbali) with emphasis on the Maliki school and notices of the views of the Ẓāhirī school and others. His father is also noted for his tafsir of the Qur'an, his book on legal theory Taqrīb al-Wuṣūl ‘ilā ‘Ilm al-Uṣūl or The Nearest of Paths to the Knowledge of the Fundamentals of Islamic Jurisprudence, which he wrote for his son, as well as his treatise on Sufism based on the Qur'an, The Refinement of the Hearts. It is a mistake to say that one of Abū al-Qāsim ibn Juzayy's teachers was Ibn Rushd al-Ḥafīd (the grandson) Averroes (1126 – 1198), the author of Bidāyat al-Mujtahid and grandson of Abu Al-Walid Muhammad bin Rushd al-Jadd (the grandfather) (d. 1126), the noted Maliki Qadi.
- F.N. Vázquez Basanta Abu l-Qasim Ibn Yuzayy: fuentes árabes, Al-Andalus Magreb: Estudios árabes e islámicos, ISSN 1133-8571, Nº 6, 1998 , pags. 251-288
- Ross Dunn 'The 'Adventures of Ibn Battuta: A Muslim Traveler of the 14th Century, p. 313
- Muhammad ibn Ahmad Ibn Juzayy Qawanin al-ahkam al-shar'iyah wa-masa'il al-furu' al-fiqhiyah. Bayrut 1979
- Ibn Juzayy, Muhammad ibn Ahmad, Tasfiyat al-qulub fi al-wusul ila hadrat 'Allam al-Ghuyub / li-Ibn Juzayy al-Gharnati ; dirasat wa-tahqiq Munir al-Qadiri Bu Dashish ; taqdim Ahmad al-Tawfiq. al-Tab'ah 1. [Casablanca : s.n.], 1998 ISBN 9981-1951-0-3
- M. Isabel Calero Secall, RULERS AND QĀDĪS: THEIR RELATIONSHIP DURING THE NASRID KINGDOM, in: Journal Islamic Law and Society, Volume 7, Number 2 / June, 2000
- Ibn al-Khatib, al-Ihata fi akhbar Gharnata, ed. M. Inan, 4 vols. (Cairo, 1973-77), I, 157-62;
- Ibn al-Khatib, al-Katiba al-kamina, ed. Ihsan Abbas,(Beirut, 1983), 138-43
- Ibn al-Khatib, al-Lamha al-badriyya fi l-dawla al-nasriyya, ed. Muhibb al-Din al-Khatib, 3rd ed. (Beirut, 1978), 116-18
- Al-Maqqari Nafh al-tib min ghusn al-Andalus al-ratib, ed. I. 'Abbas, Beirut, 1968, t. 8, pp. 40-54
- F.Velazquez Basanta, Retrato jatibiano de Abu Bakr Ya'far Ahmad ibn Yuzayy, otro poeta y qadi al-yama'a de Granada. Anales de la Universidad de Cadiz, IX-X (1992-93), 39-51
- Maria Arcas Campoy, Un tratado de derecho comparado: el Kitàb al-Qawànìn de Ibn Juzayy, pp. 49-57, In: Atti del XIII Congresso dell'Union Européenne d'Arabisants et d'Islamisants (Venezia 1986)he was the one who Ibn Battuta dedicated his life and works to.