|• Total||2,047.49 km2 (790.54 sq mi)|
|• Density||510/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
Khatra subdivision was established as an additional subdivision on 27 March 1986 and as a full-fledged subdivision on 2 November 1992
Subdivisions in the district
Bankura district is divided into the following administrative subdivisions: 
|Rural Population %
|Urban Population %
Khatra subdivision has a density of population of 434 per km2. 29.07% of the population of the district resides in this subdivision.
Khatra subdivision has 9 police stations, 8 community development blocks, 8 panchayat samitis, 59 gram panchayats, 1,311 inhabited villages, 4 census towns. The census towns are: Khatra, Ledisol, Simlapal and Raipur Bazar. The subdivision has its headquarters at Khatra.
Police stations in Khatra subdivision have the following features and jurisdiction: 
|Police Station||Area covered
|Municipal Town||CD Block|
|Khatra Subdivision Womens||-||All blocks in Khatra subdivision|
|SC %||ST %||Literacy
- Khatra block: Baidyanathpur, Dhanarah, Khatra Gram–I, Supur, Dahala, Gorabari and Khatra Gram–II.
- Indpur block: Brahmandiha, Gaurbazar, Indpur, Veduasol, Brojarajpur, Hatgram and Raghunathpur.
- Hirbandh block: Baharamuri, Hirbandh, Moshiara, Gopalpur and Maliyan.
- Raipur: Dhanarah, Fulkusma, Motgoda, Sonagara, Dheko, Melera, Raipur, Dundar, Mondalkuli and Shyamsundarpur.
- Sarenga block: Bikrampur, Gargarla, Neturpur, Chiltore, Goalbari and Sarenga.
- Ranibandh block: Ambikanagar, Haludkanali, Rajakata, Rautora, Barikul, Puddi, Ranibandh and Rudra.
- Simlapal block: Bikrampur, Lakshmisagar, Mondalgram, Simlapal, Dubrajpur, Machatora and Parswala.
- Taldangra block: Amdangra, Harmasra, Saltora, Bibarda, Khalgram, Satmauli, Fulmati, Panchmura, Piardoba and Taldangra.
Bankura district had a literacy rate of 70.26% as per the provisional figures of the census of India 2011. Bankura Sadar subdivision had a literacy rate of 69.56%, Khatra subdivision 69.79% and Bishnupur subdivision 71.60%. 
Given in the table below (data in numbers) is a comprehensive picture of the education scenario in Bankura district for the year 2013-14. It may be noted that primary schools include junior basic schools; middle schools, high schools and higher secondary schools include madrasahs; technical schools include junior technical schools, junior government polytechnics, industrial technical institutes, industrial training centres, nursing training institutes etc.; technical and professional colleges include engineering colleges, medical colleges, para-medical institutes, management colleges, teachers training and nursing training colleges, law colleges, art colleges, music colleges etc. Special and non-formal education centres include sishu siksha kendras, madhyamik siksha kendras, centres of Rabindra mukta vidyalaya, recognised Sanskrit tols, institutions for the blind and other handicapped persons, Anganwadi centres, reformatory schools etc.
The following institutions are located in Khatra subdivision:
- Panchmura Mahavidyalaya at Panchmura was established in 1965.
- Khatra Adibasi Mahavidyalaya was established at Khatra in 1979.
- Pandit Raghunath Murmu Smriti Mahavidyalaya was established at Baragari, PO Jambani in 1986.
- Raipur Block Mahavidyalaya located at Village and PO Kharigerya was established in 2010.
- Birsha Munda Memorial College was established in 2010 at Village Pirrah, PO Haludkanali.
- Ranibandh Government College has been started in 2015 at Rautara.
- Simlapal College of Education at Simlapal offers courses leading to the Bachelor of Education degree. It was established in 2009 and affiliated to the University of Burdwan in 2012.
The table below (all data in numbers) presents an overview of the medical facilities available and patients treated in the hospitals, health centres and sub-centres in 2014 in Bankura district.
|Subdivision||Health & Family Welfare Deptt, WB||Other
Khatra has a Subdivisional Hospital with 100 beds. There are Block Public Health Centres at Khatra, Indpur, Hirbandh, Ranibandh, Sarenga and Simlapal. There are Rural Hospitals at Raipur and Taldangra.
|Lok Sabha constituency||Vidhan Sabha constituency||Reservation||CD Block and/or Gram panchayats|
|Bankura||Raghunathpur||SC||In Purulia district|
|Saltora||SC||Saltora and Mejia CD Blocks; Banasuria, Barashal, Lachhmanpur and Latiaboni gram panchayats of Gangajalghati CD Block|
|Chhatna||None||Chhatna CD Block; Veduasol, Brahmandiha, Hatgram, Indpur and Raghunathpur GPs of Indpur CD Block|
|Ranibandh||ST||Ranibandh, Hirbandh and Khatra CD Blocks|
|Raipur||ST||Raipur and Sarenga CD Blocks|
|Taldangra||None||Bibarda, Fulmati, Harmasra, Khalgram, Panchmura and Taldangra GPs of Taldangra CD Block; Brojarajpur and Gaurbazar gram panchayats of Indpur CD Block; and Simlapal CD Block|
|Bankura||None||Bankura municipality; Bankura I CD Block; and Junbedia, Mankanali and Purandarpur GPs of Bankura II CD Block|
|Bishnupur (SC)||Barjora||None||Barjora CD Block; and Bhaktabandh, Gangajalghati, Gobindadham, Kapista, Nityanandapur and Piraboni GPs of Gangajalghati CD Block|
|Onda||None||Onda CD Block; and Bikna, Kosthia, Narrah and Sanbandha GPs of Bankura II CD Block|
|Bishnupur||Open||Bishnupur municipality; Bishnupur; and Amdangra, Saltora and Satmauli GPs of Taldangra CD Block|
|Katulpur||SC||Deshrahkoyalpara, Gopinathpur, Kotulpur, Lego, Mirzapur and Sihar GPs of Kotulpur CD Block; Gelia, Jagannathpur, Kuchiakol, Maynapur,
Salda, Uttarbarh, Hetia, Routkhanda and Shyamnagar GPs of Joypur CD Block
|Indas||SC||Indas CD Block; Balsi I, Balsi II, Biur Betur, Jamkuri and Kushdwip GPs of Patrasayer CD Block; and Laugram, Madanmohanpur GPs of Kotulpur CD Block|
|Sonamukhi||SC||Sonamukhi municipality; Sonamukhi CD Block; and Belut Rasulpur, Beersingha, Hamirpur, Narayanpur and Patrasayar GPs of Patrasayer CD Block|
|Khandaghosh||None||In Bardhaman district|
- "Khatra Sub-division at a Glance" (PDF). Khatra district administration. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Bankura". Table 2.2, 2.4(a). Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Bankura". Table 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Bankura". Table 2.1. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Directory of District, Sub division, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal, March 2008". West Bengal. National Informatics Centre, India. 19 March 2008. Archived from the original on 25 February 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Bankura". Tables 2.1, 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 4, Bankura District". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Directory of District, Subdivision, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal". Bankura - Revised in March 2008. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Bankura". Basic data: Table 4.4, 4.5, Clarifications: other related tables. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Panchmura Mahavidyalaya". Panchmura Mahavidyalaya. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Khatra Adibasi Mahavidyalaya". KAM. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Pandit Raghunath Murmu Smriti Mahavidyalaya". PRMSM. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "Raipur Block Mahavidyalaya". ICBSE. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Birsha Munda Memorial College". icbse. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Government General Degree College". Ranibandh Government College. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "Simlapal College of Education". University of Burdwan. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "Simlapal College of Education". Hindsikhsha. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Bankura". Table 3.1, 3.3. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Status of Health and FW Services in Bankura District". Chief Medical Officer of Health, Bankura. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). West Bengal. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 24 November 2016.