|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nickname(s): Industrial capital of cg|
|Named for||Pahadi korwas|
|• Type||Local Government|
|• Body||Municipal corporation|
|Elevation||316 m (1,037 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Chhattisgarhi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||927 ♂/♀|
Korba (Hindi: कोरबा) is a city and an industrial area in Korba District in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh. Korba is headquarter of Korba district situated about 200 km. from the capital city Raipur.
Korba is known for its coal mines such as Gevra Area which is one of the biggest coal mines of Asia as well as Kusmunda Area and Dipka Area, all located in Korba Coalfield. It also has power plants such as NTPC, CSEB and Bharat Aluminium Company.
Korba is situated on Maikal ranges of the Satpura Hills and Chota Nagpur Plateau is high and low and open. The rivers Hasdeo and Ahiran flow through the city, with Hasdeo boasting two hydroelectric dams.
Korba Super Thermal Power Plant of NTPC is located at Jamanipali area. It receives coal from Gevra and Kusmunda mines and source of water for the power plant is Hasdeo River. Korba Thermal Power Station is owned and operated by Chhattisgarh State Power Generation Company. There are more small Power Plant near city like Hasdeo Thermal Power Station, Dr Shyama Prasad Mukharjee Thermal Power Station and Lanco Amarkantak Power Plant.
Bharat Aluminium Company has plant which is one of the Asia's largest aluminium production industries. In 2009, chimney under construction by Gannon Dunkerley & Company at the Balco smelter collapsed killing 49 workers and GDCL management have been accused of negligence in the incident.
NTPC has created a township for its employees in Jamnipali area of Korba. It has good apartments, a big Hospital, two sport clubs, many gardens and lots of good schools like Kendriya Vidyalaya, Delhi Public School and Saraswati Shishu Mandir. One of the very good school is Kendriya Vidyalaya NTPC No.2. It was established in August 1979 and has produced many prominent personalities.
Government and jurisdiction
The city of Korba is the Korba district headquarters. Korba City has been a metropolitan municipality with a mayor-council form of government. Korba Municipal Corporation (KMC) was established in 1956 under the Madhya Pradesh Nagar Palika Nigam Adhiniyam. The KMC is responsible for public education, correctional institutions, libraries, public safety, recreational facilities, sanitation, water supply, local planning and welfare services. The mayor and councillors are elected to five-year terms.The city constitutes an urban agglomeration Which includes Dipka municipality, bankimongra zone, Jamnipali zone And Bolconagar zone.
Korba (Lok Sabha constituency) is a Lok Sabha parliamentary constituency for the city and constituency is composed of the following assembly segments: Rampur (ST) (assembly constituency no. 20), Korba (assembly constituency no. 21), Katghora (assembly constituency no. 22) and Pali-Tanakhar (ST) (assembly constituency no. 23) is part of Korba district. Currently, Banshilal Mahto of Bharatiya Janata Party is a member of parliament to the 16th Lok Sabha and Jai Singh Agrawal of Indian National Congress sitting Member of the Legislative Assembly from Korba (Vidhan Sabha constituency).
Korba is connected to other parts of India through national and state highways. The city is directly connected to Raipur, Bilaspur, Durg, Bhilai Nagar, Rajnandgaon. Korba is also connected with national highways like NH200 etc.
Korba railway station is connected to Champa, the nearest railway junction on the Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line. The stations comes under South East Central Railway Zone. It is directly connected to Bilaspur which the Divisional Headquarter by rail and road through Katghora-Pali-Ratanpur. The 50.7 km (32 mi) long, 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) broad gauge was constructed between 1953 and 1956, electrified in 1987 and 1988, and extended to Gevra Road railway station in 1988 and 1989. New line surveys of Indian Railway were taken during 2012 and 2013, and included a line from Renukoot-Korba via Ambikapur Katghora and Korba-Ranchi.
The nearest airport is at Raipur, which is about 224 km from Korba.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Korba
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Coal Mine Project Opportunity" (PDF). Korba Coalfield. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "Question remains on CIL's expansion projects in Chhattisgarh – Question remains on CIL's expansion projects in Chhattisgarh". Financial Express, 13 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- "CIL’s SECL makes day record for coal output in March". Steelguru, 13 April 2007. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- NTPC Korba
- Chhattisgarh State Power Generation Company, "Thermal power stations" Archived 11 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine., Chhattisgarh State Power Generation Company website, accessed February 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 November 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Balco chimney mishap: Three Chinese officials arrested in Korba". The Hindustan Times. 2010-01-11. Archived from the original on 15 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-26.
- "> Anderlini, Jamil (2009-09-29). "India questions Sepco staff over chimney collapse". The Financial Times. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- "25 die in accident at BALCO's new plant at Korba". Business Standard. 2009-09-24. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "CandidateAC.xls file on assembly constituencies with information on district and parliamentary constituencies". Chhattisgarh. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original on 4 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Korba (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
- Moonis Raza & Yash Aggarwal. "Transport Geography of India: Commodity Flow and the Regional Structure of Indian Economy". page 60. Concept Publishing Company, A-15/16 Commercial Block, Mohan Garden, New Delhi - 110059. ISBN 81-7022-089-0. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "History of Electrification". India Rail Info.
- What is new in Railway Budget 2012-13
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Korba, Chhattisgarh.|