This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Nickname(s): Steel City of India|
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Mayor||Devendra Yadav (congress)|
|Elevation||297 m (974 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Chhattisgarhi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Bhilai is a city in the district of Durg, Chhattisgarh, in eastern central India. The city is located 32 kilometres (20 mi) west of the state's capital, Raipur, on the main Howrah–Mumbai rail line, and National Highway 6. Bhilai is known for the Bhilai Steel Plant, the only manufacturer of rails in the country used by Indian Railways.
It is believed that the name "BHILAI" has been coined from the Bhil tribe which originally inhabited this region and continues to dwell in the nearby forests till date. As per another story, the city adopted the name of a nearby village Bhilai Gaon. 
Not much is known about the past of this town. Bhilai was ruled by the Haihaivanshi Rajput clan in the 12th century. The Rajputs were defeated by the Bhonsle dynasty in 1740 and the city became a part of the Maratha empire. In 1853, the East India Company overthrew the Marathas in the region.
The city remained a part of the British Empire until India gained independence on August 15th, 1947. Post independence, the city shot into prominence following the establishment of the Bhilai Steel Plant. The plant was constructed with aid from the Soviet Union. Work on the plant began in 1950 and was finally completed in 1959. Bhilai Steel Plant was inaugurated by the first Indian President Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
In the 2011 census, Durg-Bhilainagar Urban Agglomeration had a population of 1,064,077. Durg-Bhilainagar Urban Agglomeration includes: Durg (M Corp.), Bhilai Nagar (M Corp.), Dumar dih (part) (OG), Bhilai Charoda (M), Jamul (M), Kumhari (M), Ahmed Nagar (Camp-02), Farid Nagar and Utai (NP).
The climate is pleasant and mild in the winter (minimum temperature 10 °C, 50 °F). There are medium rains in the monsoon season. The summers are very hot and dry, with maximum temperature 42 °C (110. 2 °F), and minimum humidity.
Premier Education Institution:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-Bhilai), campus started in NIT Raipur from this year
- CSIT, Durg
- Shri Shankaracharya Institute of Technology & Management
- Shri Shankaracharya College of Engineering and Technology
- Shri Shankaracharya Engineering College
- Chandulal Chandrakar Memorial Medical College
- St. Thomas College
Premier Schools in Bhilai
- Delhi Public School
- Sri Sankara Vidyalaya
- Shri Shankaracharya Vidyalaya
- Krishna Public School
- Maitri Vidya Niketan
- DAV Public School
- Anurag Basu, movie director
- Rajesh Chauhan, former Indian cricketer
- Saba Anjum Karim, hockey player
- Omkar Das Manikpuri, Indian stage and film actor
- Teejan Bai, exponent of Pandavani
- Amit Sana, runner-up in Indian Idol 1
- Anupama Bhagwat, sitar player
- Arundhati Bhattacharya, first female chairperson of State Bank of India (SBI)
- Suzanna Mukherjee, film and television actress
- Census van 1 maart 2001 (via archive.org)
- "History of Bhilai, Historical Aspects of Bhilai, Origin of Bhilai". www.bhilaionline.in. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Constituents of urban Agglomerations Having Population 1 Lakh & above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.