|• Type||Municipal corporation|
|• Metropolis||357 km2 (138 sq mi)|
|Elevation||297 m (974 ft)|
|• Rank||2nd in state, 70th in india|
|• Density||3,000/km2 (7,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Bhilai is a city in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh, in eastern central India. With a population of 1,064,077, Bhilai–Durg is the second largest urban area in Chhattisgarh after Raipur. Bhilai is a major industrial city in India as well as an education hub of central India.
The foundation of the modern city of Bhilai was laid in 1955 when the Indian government signed a historic agreement with the Soviet Union in Magnitogorsk to establish a steel plant near the village. The first blast furnace of the plant was commissioned in 1959 by the first president of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
In the 2011 census, Bhilai Nagar Urban Agglomeration had a population of 1,064,222, of which 545,916 are males and 518,306 are females. Bhilai has an average literacy rate of 86.63%, male literacy is 92.22% and, female literacy is 80.71%.
Bhilai lies at 21.21°N 81.38°E in Central India at an elevation of 297m above sea level on the banks of the Shivnath river, a tributary of the river Mahanadi. It covers an area of 341 km2 (132 sq mi).
Owing to its proximity to the Tropic of Cancer, Bhilai has a tropical climate. There are three main seasons: summer, monsoon and winter. The average annual temperature in Bhilai is 26.6 °C and the city receives an average rainfall of 1188 mm in a year. Summers usually last from May to June, followed by monsoons in July and August. The town receives the bulk of rainfall in July, with an average rainfall of 352mm. There is little rainfall during the winters, with November being the driest month of the year.
Bhilai is home to the Bhilai Steel Plant, the first Indian plant to produce steel rails, which was established with help from the Soviet Union in 1955. Iron ore from Rajhara, limestone from Nandini, coal from Jharia, manganese from Balaghat, electric power from the Kosa thermal power plant, and water from the Tandula Canal, all nearby, are used in the Bhilai Steel Plant to manufacture rails and structural steel. Pig iron and billets are supplied to foundries and rolling mills located at Kumhari and other sites in central India. The amount of steel rails produced by the facility till 2007 can go around the circumference of the earth 7.5 times. This is depicted on the monument at the globe square in the heart of the city. The facility underwent modernization and expansion, and is amongst leading manufacturer of iron and steel in Asia
Apart from that Bhilai houses several other PSU & private firms -
Jaypee Cement (now Orient Cement), NSPCL Bhilai Power Plant (J.V of SAIL & NTPC), SAIL Refactory Unit, FSNL, ACC - Jamul Cement Works, VS Industries, ATMASTCO, Engineering Park (owned by CSIDC), Adhunik Group of Industries, Shivalik Group of Industries, Bhilai Engineering Corporation.Ltd, Shri Balaji Industries, Golden Engineering Industries, Supreme Industries, Porwal Group of Companies, Simplex Castings.Ltd, Beekay Steels, Shivam Hi Tech Steels etc.
The city serves as an educational hub in the region, with a total of 59 universities and colleges, like Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bhilai, Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Rungta Group of Institutions, St.Thomas College, Shri Shankaracharya Group of Institutions, Christian College of Engineering & Technology, Kalyan College, Sector 7, Bhilai and CSIT Engineering College.
Schools in Bhilai are run either by municipal corporations, or privately by entities, trusts and corporations. The majority of schools are affiliated with the Chhattisgarh Board of Secondary Education and the Central Board of Secondary Education.
- Railway Stations
The Durg Bus Stand is a hub where you can find any bus to any place in and around Chhattisgarh as well as other parts of the country.
- Teejan Bai, Pandvani singer
- Anurag Basu, Bollywood director
- Anupama Bhagwat, sitar player
- Rajesh Chauhan, former cricketer in the Indian cricket team
- Budhaditya Mukherjee, sitar player
- Amit Sana, runner-up in Indian Idol 1
- Krishnamurthy Subramanian, 17th and current Chief Economic Adviser to the Government of India
- "Bhilai City" (PDF).
- "Bhilai City Population".
- Census van 1 maart 2001 (via archive.org)
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "History of Bhilai, Historical Aspects of Bhilai, Origin of Bhilai". www.bhilaionline.in. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Katz, Alexandra; RIR, specially for (22 August 2014). "Bhilai Steel Plant: Chhattisgarh's icon of Indo-Russian cooperation". www.rbth.com. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 100,000 and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Seismic Zones". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "Bhilai climate: Average Temperature, weather by month, Bhilai weather averages - Climate-Data.org". en.climate-data.org. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "After road show, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates modernized and expanded Bhilai Steel Plant". Zee News. 14 June 2018.
- "Orient Cement to acquire 74% stake in Bhilai Jaypee Cement Limited from Jaiprakash Associates Limited". Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "SAIL Refractory Unit (SRU) | SAIL". sail.co.in. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "VS Industries". www.vsind.net. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "ATMASTCO Limited |". Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "csidc". csidc.in. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Adhunik Group of Industries". www.adhunikgroup.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Shivalik Group Welcomes You". www.shivalikcastings.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Heavy Engineering | Equipments for Steel Plants | Power Plants | Mines | Cements Plants | Coke Oven | Railway Products | EPC Engineered Wear Parts | Heavy Machinery | Coal Handling Plant | Yard and Port Equipment | Wind Mill Towers | Steel | Alloy and Manganese Casting | Conveyors | Feeder Breakers | Feeders | Lifting Equipment | Manufacturer | Coke Oven Technology | Coke making | Batterie | Coke Dry Cooling Plants | Coke Oven Machines | Emission Control | Coke dry quenching unit | CDCP Lifter | COKE PUSHER | Concrete Chimney | Coal Tower | COAL CHARGING CAR | Coke Oven Battery | Coke Oven Project | Battery Machines | CDCP (Coke Dry Cooling Plant) | By Products Plant | Coal Chemicals | Coke Oven Gas | Crude Benzol | Sulphur | Tor | BF Grade Coke | Nut Coke | Breeze Coke | Cooking Coal | Heat Recovery | Stamp Charge Battery | Top Charge Battery | Coke Pusher Machine | Charging Car Machine | Guide Car Machine | Quenching Car Machine | Coke Bucket | Coke Lifter | Coke Cooling Chamber | Coke Moisture | Coke quality | Environment Norms of Coke Oven's | Stamping Charging and Pushing Machine | Non Recovery Coke Ovens | Zero Leak Doors | Bhilai Engineering Corporation, Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India". www.bec-group.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Shri Balaji Industries:: Wire Manufacturers in Bhilai, Shri Balaji Industries , G.I Wire, H.B Wire, Binding Wires, Barbed Wires, Stay Wires, galvanizing mild steel (MS) wires of multiple sizes, J.K. Sales, Bhilai , in durg, in Chhattisgarh, Near BSP". www.shribalajiwireindustries.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Golden Engineering Industries | Pulleys | Idlers | Conveyor Systems | Engineering | Fabrications". www.goldenengg.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Supreme Industries - Top Manufacturer of Naphthalene Balls". supremeindustries.org. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Welcome to Porwal Group of Companies". www.coaltarchemical.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Simplex Castings Ltd". www.simplexcastings.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Home". www.beekaysteel.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Shivam Hi Tech Steels Private Limited". www.shivamhitech.com. Retrieved 4 January 2020.