This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article possibly contains original research. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Mayor||Devendra Yadav (congress)|
|• Total||340.99 km2 (131.66 sq mi)|
|Area rank||2nd in state ,70th in india|
|Elevation||297 m (974 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The city is famous for its steel and chemical industry, notably the Bhilai Steel Plant. Due to its cosmopolitan culture, the city has emerged as one of the growing educational hubs of central India.
In the 2011 census, Durg-Bhilainagar Urban Agglomeration had a population of 1,006,407. Durg-Bhilainagar Urban Agglomeration includes: Durg (M Corp.), Bhilai Nagar (M Corp.), Dumar dih (part) (OG), Bhilai Charoda (M), Jamul (M), Kumhari (M), Ahmed Nagar (Camp-02), Farid Nagar and Utai (NP).
It was started as a shopping center consisting of two rows of shops & stores arranged in L shape, initially it had TATA (textiles) on one end and BATA(shoes) on other hand. This was the only hub for lots of social activities, entertainment and shopping for long time before Bhilai expanded beyond its boundaries when shopping complex like Gangotri & Akash Ganga started in Supela in late 80's .
- Census van 1 maart 2001 (via archive.org)
- "History of Bhilai, Historical Aspects of Bhilai, Origin of Bhilai". www.bhilaionline.in. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Constituents of urban Agglomerations Having Population 1 Lakh & above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Cross country race in Bhilai". Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "NATIONAL HANDLOOM EXPO AT BHILAI". Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "Bhilai bureaucrats bring out their 2-wheelers and helmets". Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "DEGAN INAUGURATES 'FIRE SAFETY' EXHIBITION". Retrieved 12 May 2017.