Media in Karnataka
The era of Kannada newspapers in Karnataka started in 1843 when Hermann Mögling, a missionary from Basel Mission published the first Kannada newspaper called Mangalooru Samachara from Mangalore. The first Kannada magazine, Mysuru Vrittanta Bodhini was started by Bhashyam Bhashyacharya in Mysore. Shortly after Indian Independence in 1948, K N Guruswamy started the company, The Printers (Mysore Private Limited) and started publishing two newspapers Deccan Herald (in English) and Prajavani (in Kannada). Times of India is the largest selling English newspaper in Karnataka. Tabloids including Lankesh Patrike and Hai Bangalore Adi Jambava Jagruti emphasize controversial topics. Sudharma, the only daily newspaper published in Sanskrit in India is printed and distributed from Mysore.
(Dd1) was the first satellite channel to broadcast in Kannada.
- Shrinivas Havanur. "Herr Kannada". Online Edition of The Deccan Herald 2004-01-18. 1999 The Printers (Mysore) Private Ltd. Archived from the original on September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- "Kannada Literary Journalists". Kannada Writers. Kamat's Potpourri. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Dream of a visionary". Online Edition of The Prajavani. 2005 The Printers (Mysore) Private Ltd. Archived from the original on May 27, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- "Times Group acquires Vijayanand Printers". Online Edition of The Times of India dated 2006-06-15. © 2007 Times Internet Limited. Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- Shuma Raha. "Battleground Bangalore". Online Edition of The Telegraph dated 2006-11-19. © 2006 The Telegraph. Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- T S Ranganna (2003-10-31). "The public should teach erring newspapers a lesson". Online Edition of The Hindu dated 2003-10-31. Chennai, India: © 2006 The Hindu. Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- epapertoday. "Sudharma - The only Sanskrit newspaper". Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- "Channel Information". Archived from the original on September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- Deepa Ganesh. "Still a hot favourite at 50". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 April 2016.