Neogi are fictional insectoid creatures originally from the Spelljammer campaign setting in the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game. Neogi are described as classic evil "bug-eyed monsters" who rule the universe in the game.
The neogi was introduced to the D&D game in the second edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition (1989-1999)
The neogi and the great old master neogi first appear for the Spelljammer campaign setting in the Spelljammer: AD&D Adventures in Space campaign setting box, in the Lorebook of the Void booklet (1989). The neogi undead old master appears in the supplement Lost Ships (1990).
An extraplanar relative of the neogi, the tso, appears in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II (1995).
Dungeons & Dragons 3.0 edition (2000-2002)
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 edition (2003-2007)
The neogi receives its own chapter in the book Lords of Madness (2005). The adult neogi, the neogi defiler, the dwarf neogi, the neogi spawn, the great old master, the neogi slavemaster, and the neogi sorcerer appear in this book.
Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition (2008-)
Neogi are slave traders and they consider everything either a slave or owner. All Neogi have several slaves, usually umber hulks, sometimes even other neogi. These neogi slaves have more slaves, leading to complex ownership hierarchy.
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- Winter, Jon. "The Ecology of the Neogi." Dragon #214 (TSR, 1995)
- Baker, L. Richard III, Tim Beach, Wolfgang Baur, Michele Carter, Colin McComb. Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II (TSR, 1995)
- Bonny, Ed, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Skip Williams, and Steve Winter. Monster Manual II (Wizards of the Coast, 2002)
- Baker, Rich, James Jacobs, and Steve Winter. Lords of Madness (Wizards of the Coast, 2005)