Newcastle Inner City Bypass
|Newcastle Inner City Bypass
New South Wales
|Length||15.6 km (9.7 mi)
|State Route 123|
|South end||Pacific Highway, Bennetts Green|
|North end||McCaffrey Drive, New Lambton Heights|
|South end||Newcastle Road|
|North end||Pacific Highway, Sandgate|
|Highways in Australia
National Highway • Freeways in Australia
Highways in New South Wales
The road is divided into five sections. The southern most section is the West Charlestown Bypass, which is a 6.5 km long freeway standard road which was opened to traffic in 2003. The second section consists of parts of Charlestown Road and Lookout Road, which were widened into a divided dual carriageway non-freeway configuration during the 1980s. The third section is a planned freeway diverging from Lookout Road near the intersection of McCaffrey Drive, skirting around the west of the John Hunter Hospital and passing over Newcastle Road to join the fourth section, the Jesmond bypass, which is a freeway that was constructed during the 1990s. The fifth section is another freeway section from the northern end of the Jesmond Bypass to the Pacific Highway at Sandgate.
With the third section of the route not yet completed, a more circuitous route through suburban roads remains in use for the gap between the second and fourth sections. From the end of the Charlestown Bypass, it is necessary to follow Lookout Road, which becomes Croudace Street, before turning left onto Newcastle Road. Approximately 1.3 km (0.8 mi) after turning left, the Inner City Bypass is rejoined by turning right at the Jesmond roundabout.
Pre-construction early works for the northern most section, between Shortland and Sandgate, began in June 2010. The work to be completed as part of that contract was for digging a cutting where the Sandgate Road bridge has been built over the bypass and filling two other areas, including constructing retaining walls and relocating water mains. The contract for construction of that section was awarded to Reed Constructions in February 2011, with construction starting in April 2011. On 28 May 2012 Roads and Maritime Services decided to terminate its contract with Reed Constructions, which is in liquidation, and remaining works are being completed by Thiess Pty Ltd, the prime contractor for the Hunter Expressway.
The Shortland – Sandgate section of the bypass was unofficially opened on 16 January 2014 and was opened to traffic on 23 January 2014.
||This section needs editing for compliance with Wikipedia's Manual of Style/Road junction lists. (March 2015)|
|Newcastle Inner City Bypass|
|Northbound exits||Distance from
|End Newcastle Inner City Bypass
continues as Pacific Highway
to Hexham, Maitland and Taree
|15.6||Start Newcastle Inner City Bypass
from Pacific Highway
|End Motorway Section||Start Motorway Section|
|Shortland, Hunter Wetlands Centre
|Birmingham Gardens, Jesmond, University of Newcastle, Waratah West
|11.7||Birmingham Gardens, Jesmond, Waratah West, University of Newcastle
|Start Motorway Section||10.7||End Motorway Section|
| Roundabout (clockwise from bypass)
Newcastle Road to Lambton, Newcastle and Charlestown
Newcastle Road to Wallsend and Sydney
|Rankin Park to Jesmond section
- IN PLANNING -
| Traffic Lights (clockwise from bypass)
McCaffrey Drive to Wallsend
Lookout Road to Lambton, Maitland and Taree
|Grandview Road||7||Grandview Road|
|Hurn Street||6.4||Hurn Street|
|Peatties Road||6||Peatties Road|
|Kimbarra Close||5.9||Kimbarra Close|
|End Motorway Section||5.6||Start Motorway Section|
|no exit||5.4||Cardiff, Kotara
|Charlestown, Warners Bay
|4.1||Charlestown, Warners Bay
|no exit||2.2||Charlestown, Warners Bay
Warners Bay Road
|Start Motorway Section||0||End Motorway Section|
| Traffic Lights (clockwise from bypass)
Pacific Highway to Charlestown
Pacific Highway to Belmont and Sydney
Lake Street to Windale
- "Newcastle inner city bypass Sandgate to Shortland. Review of environmental factors". NSW Roads and Traffic Authority. 30 June 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "Newcastle Inner City Bypass". NSW Roads and Traffic Authority. 17 September 2010. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- A Colenbrander; W Davies; R Handley (23 March 2004). "West Charlestown Bypass: Construction of Urban Freeway Embankments using High Plasticity Clays" (PDF). GHD Group. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 September 2007. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- Barker, Sarah (4 March 2008). "Rankin Park to Jesmond – Submissions Report, RTA, March 2008" (PDF). NSW Roads and Traffic Authority. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "Archived Tender Detail View – RTA.09.2535.2697". NSW Roads and Traffic Authority. 22 March 2010. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "Proposed upgrade of Newcastle Inner City Bypass between Shortland and Sandgate". NSW Roads and Traffic Authority. 18 February 2011. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "Work Restarts Shortland to Sandgate". Roads and Maritime Services. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- Davis, Belinda-Jane (16 January 2014). "Bypass opening next week, expressway soon". The Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 17 January 2014.