Nikola Motor Company
|Industry||Hybrid truck design|
Salt Lake City, Utah,
|Products||Nikola Zero, Nikola One, Nikola Two|
The prototype model, the Nikola Zero, is a Utility Task Vehicle, with 72 or 107 kWh battery. It has 555 hp combined from a motor at each wheel, weighs 3,500-lb, and uses the same 14.5″-clearance suspension as the Ford Raptor. It has been spun-off into a powersports product, in the Nikola Powersports division.
The company designed an electric Class 8 truck called the Nikola One, with a 320 kWh EV battery supplying 6 traction electric motors with a combined software-limited 1,000 hp (750 kW) and 2,000 lb⋅ft (2,700 N⋅m) of torque (nearly 86,000 lb⋅ft (117,000 N⋅m) after gear reduction), inspired by electric locomotives. This is sufficient for keeping a speed of 65 mph (105 km/h) with a full load of 80,000 pounds (36 tonnes) on a 6% grade. The energy source is 300 kW hydrogen fuel cells consuming 4.6 kg (10 lb) H2 per 100 km (62 mi) from tanks with 100 kg (220 lb) of hydrogen, giving a range of 1,200 mi (1,900 km). Consumption is equivalent to 15.4 mpg of diesel. The truck has regenerative brakes to supplement the traditional disc brakes, decreasing stopping distance and fuel usage. The hydrogen version was unveiled in December 2016 and is expected to be available by 2019. In some markets, compressed natural gas to power an on-board gas turbine generator may be used instead.
On May 1, 2018 Nikola Motor Company filed a lawsuit against Tesla seeking $2 billion in damages alleging that the Tesla Semi infringes on several patents Nikola have been granted on the design of the Nikola One. Tesla has responded that the lawsuit is without merit.
The company has announced plans to build a hydrogen powered day cab called the Nikola Two, with power and range estimates similar to those of the Nikola One.
The technical data cited above are claims the company has made but yet to be verified by independent tests.
- Tesla Semi all-electric Class 8 battery powered semi truck tractor unit
- Cummins Aeos battery-electric and diesel range extender Class 7 semi truck tractor unit
- Toyota Project Portal fuel cell Class 8 truck
- Hall-Geisler, Kristen. "Nikola Motor Company unveils its electric (mostly) truck". TechCrunch. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Company Overview of Nikola Motor Company". Bloomberg. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Nikola Zero UTV Driving Footage And Launch Videos". Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- "Nikola One Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Semi-Truck Debuts". Trucks.com. 1 December 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- "Dette er bilen som skal ta tungtransporten vekk fra diesel". Teknisk Ukeblad. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- Lambert, Fred (21 November 2017). "We tested an insane electric UTV with more energy capacity than even the most powerful Tesla". Electrek.
- "Nikola Powersports". 2016.
- "Nikola One, America's first hydrogen-powered semi, is straight outta the future". Roadshow. CBS Interactive. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- on YouTube.
- Lambert, Fred. "Nikola Motor claims it received over 7,000 pre-orders worth over $2.3 billion for its electric truck". Electrek. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- Lambert, Fred. "Nikola Motor does a 180°, scraps plans for battery-powered truck, turns to hydrogen". Electrek. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Nikola CEO Milton Explains Hydrogen Fuel Cell Truck Strategy". Trucks.com. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- on YouTube.
- O'Kane, Sean (2018-05-01). "Tesla sued for $2 billion by hydrogen truck startup over alleged patent infringement". theverge.com. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- Anheuser-Busch orders hundreds of hydrogen trucks from zero-emission startup Nikola The Verge, Retrieved May 3, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nikola Motor Company.|