Ambedkar Nagar district
|Ambedkar Nagar district
अंबेडकर नगर ज़िला
|— District of Uttar Pradesh —|
|Headquarters||Akbarpur, Ambedkar Nagar|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Akbarpur|
|• Assembly seats||[Katehari, Akbarpur,Tanda,Jalalpur,Jahangir Gunj]|
|• Total||2,520 km2 (970 sq mi)|
|• Total||23,98,709 [according to census 2,011]|
|• Literacy||74.37 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||976|
|Major highways||Akbarpur-Azamgarh, Akbarpur-Faizabad|
Ambedkar Nagar district (Hindi अंबेडकर नगर ज़िला, Urdu امبیڈکر نگر ضلع) is a district in the Faizabad division. It was formed in 29 September 1995 by the then-chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati, and was named after architect of the Constitution of India, Bhimrao Ambedkar.
The total area of the district is 2520 km². Approximately 90% of the population lives in small farming villages. According to the OMMS database there are 3,955 villages in the Ambedkar Nagar District. Because of the dispersed nature of these small villages, the district is divided administratively into nine blocks: Akbarpur, Baskhari, Bhiti, Bhiyam, Jahagirgang, Jalalpur, Katehari, Ramnager, and Tanda.
The city of Akbarpur is situated on the bank of the River Tons (Tamasa), which divides the city into the two parts Akbarpur and Shahzadpur, with the latter being the main commercial centre of the city. The Saryu River is the main river and is located at the northern boundary of the district. The Tanda, Jahagirgani, Ramnager and Baskhari blocks are located along this river and use its water for irrigation. Irrigation in the Baskhari block is also from Lake Devhat and the Hanswar Lakes. Lake Darvan provides water in the Katehari block. The Akbarpur, Bhiti, Bhiyam, and Jalapur blocks depend upon smaller rivers and seasonal streams.
Ambedkar Nagar is noted for Tanda Terracotta. Major economic activities are power looms and farming. The district also has a thermal power station belonging to the NTPC. There is also a cement manufacturing plant belonging to the Jaypee Group (Jaypee Ayoudha Greeding). The district has one sugar factory called the Akbarpur Sugar Mill, which is situated near Mijhaura, about ten kilometres from the district headquarters. Many rice mills are present in Akbarpur. There is a power and distribution transformer manufacturing industry named Achal Electricals situated on Dostpur road.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Ambedkar Nagar one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Ambedkar Nagar district has a population of 2,398,709, roughly equal to the nation of Latvia or the US state of New Mexico. This gives it a ranking of 186th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,021 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,640 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 18.35%. Ambedkar Nagar has a sex ratio of 976 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 74.37%.
There are a few government and government-aided colleges besides the privately managed schools and degree colleges. Some notable institutions are BNKB PG College, Ramabai Government Women Post Graduate College, Akbarpur and TN PG College. The other Government Degree College is in Alapur. The first law college of the district is Rajesh Pandey College of Law, J.B.I.C. There are also some industrial training institutes like Pt. S.D.Pandey ITC, Jamunipur. One Govt. medical college in Saddarpur Tanda, one Agriculture Engineering College, and a polytechnic institute has been founded in the district.
The Ambedkar Nagar District is home to the shrine of Ashraf Jahangir Semnani in Kicchocha Sharif (Kichhauchha Sharif). At Shravan Kshetra an annual fair is held on Magh Purnima (February full Moon). Legend has it that Sravana Kumar was killed by King Dasharatha of Ramayana at Shravan Kshetra. Shiv Baba .
Mahadev mandir is situated in Beedi Village, Rampur Sakarwari, which is 7 km on Dostpur Road from Akbarpur Rly Station. There is a devotee place Shiv Baba situated on Akbarpur to Khateri road. Lorepur is also well known for the fort of erstwhile Raja of Lorepur, now settled in Luknow. Hanuman mandir situated in Aniruddh nagar, Benipur Village, 18 km West from Akbarpur and 10 km South from Katehri, Near Mijhaura, in Kathehri block.
Muharram Azadari is observed in the district. Amari is organized in the month of Safar here where Zaireen from nearby district comes to mourn the occasion of Karbala, Sham and Kufa.
There are certain personalities in the district:
- Shehzadpur at Akbarpur district headquarters was the birthplace of the Indian freedom fighter, socialist, and political leader Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia (born on March 23, 1910).
- Shalik Ram Shukla helped in founding the government degree college at Alapur, Fatehpur.
- Satya Narayan Dwivedi "Shreesh"- received the state level Sahitya Bhushan Award in 2000.
- Noted Gandhian politician Shri Jairam verma was born here and remained minister about 25 years. He was associated in many of the educational institutes opening. He was known as the Gandhi of the Faizabad district.
- Syed Wajihul Hasan is a senior advocate in district court of AmbedkarNagar.
- Syed Waheed Ashraf is a Sufi Poet and Scholar of Persian and Urdu languages hailing from Kichaucha Sharif in the AmbedkarNagar district.
- Syed Amin Ashraf is a leading Urdu Critic and Poet.
- OMMS Database of Census data for Ambedkarnagar District
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Latvia 2,204,708 July 2011 est."
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "New Mexico - 2,059,179"
Satya Prakash tiwari s/o Ram raj Tiwari village, samdeeh, dist- Ambedkar nagar is sofware engineer is a usa based company
Pradeep Verma S/o Ram Janam Verma VPO-Baragaon Ibrahimpur Ambedkar Nagar Engineer(CCTV, Access and Fire control)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Ambedkar Nagar district|
||Basti district||Sant Kabir Nagar district|
|Faizabad district||Gorakhpur district|
|Sultanpur district||Azamgarh district|