|• Member of Legislative Assembly||Mr. Vilas Tare|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Boisar is an industrial area in Palghar District in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is located some 45 kilometres (28 mi) north of Virar, on the Western Railway line of Mumbai Suburban Division Mumbai Suburban Railway.
Boisar is gateway to the largest Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) of Maharashtra, i.e. MIDC Tarapur in Palghar taluka. Boisar is gateway to Tarapur Atomic Power Station (T.A.P.S.), India's first nuclear power plant. T.A.P.S. houses two General Electric Mark 1 boiling water reactors (BWRs), each of 210 MW (since derated to 160MW), the first in Asia. These were constructed in the mid 1960s by the American companies Bechtel and GE near village Akkarpatti. A recent addition of two pressurised heavy water reactors (PHWR) each of 540 MW were brought online in 2005 and 2006, constructed by Larsen & Toubro, Afcons infrastructure ltd and Gammon India. The PHWRs are commissioned by Nuclear Power Corporation of India.
MIDC Tarapur is situated in Boisar, which contains over 1500 industrial units including global corporations such as TATA Steel, JSW Steel, VIRAJ Profiles etc. Tarapur also houses two large industrial estates Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation, Tarapur Industrial Estate and Additional Tarapur Industrial Estate), which include bulk drug manufacturing units including pharma giants like Lupin and Aarti drugs, specialty chemical manufacturing units, steel plants and a few textile plants.
Boisar is an important railway station on the Western Railway line of Mumbai Suburban Railway. Along with Shuttle/Memu/EMU(Local trains) services, a number of long distance trains also stop in Boisar. Boisar is Improving in transportation Day by Day.
Boisar has a good road transportation to the nearby areas as well as other cities too. Buses operate regularly from Boisar by MSRTC to local areas including Tarapur, Chinchani, Bordi, Dahanu, Vangaon, Palghar, Makadchola, Umroli, Murbe, Dandi, Brahmanpur, and Nava Khadi. Long distance intercity buses connect to Thane, Nashik, Nandurbar, Bhusaval, Kolhapur, Pune, Satara, Paithan, Patoda, Shirdi, Aurangabad, and other cities.
IRCTC Code For Boisar is BOR.
Boisar has a number of schools and colleges. In the past few years, a number of construction projects have broken ground in the region. Schools and colleges are being set up for the increasing population.
- Seva Ashram Vidyalaya
- Viraj Shri Ram Centennial School, Kurgaon
- C.T.E.S. English Medium School
- Atomic Energy Central School and Junior College -I
- Atomic Energy Central School and Junior College -II
- Atomic Energy Central School and Junior College -III
- Chinmaya Mission Vidyalaya
- Tarapur Vidya Mandir & College (TVM)
- Teens World Corporate School
- S.D.Vartak Vidyalaya
- R.H.Save Tarapur
- Don Bosco School
- Jivan Viksas Shikshan Sansthche Anu Vikas High School, Dandi
- Atharv Academy
- Diparth Hindi High School
- Boisar Military School
- SAS Institute of Management Studies (MBA/MMS) Mumbai University affiliated
- Theem College of Engineering (diploma and degree) Mumbai University affiliated
- Deep Education Society's AGS college of Education (B Ed) Mumbai University affiliated
- Deep Education Society's MIDC college of Management (BMS) Mumbai University affiliated
- Deep Education Society's NAS college of Education (D Ed) Maharashtra Board affiliated
There are a number of hospitals situated in Boisar, along with numerous private doctor clinics and nursing homes.
- TAPS Hospital, TAPS 1&2 Colony
- TAPS Hospital, TAPS 3&4 Colony
- TAPS Dispensary, TAPS 3&4 Colony
- Boisar Nursing Home
- City Hospital, Ostwal
- Care Hospital
- Om Hospital, Yaswant Plaza
- TMRCT (Thunga) Hospital
- Parag Hospital & Orange Diagnostic Center
- Dayal Clinic
- Dr. Patil Hospital, Gosalia Park
Chinchani Beach and Tarapur Beach are the main tourist spots near Boisar. A number of gardens are inside Boisar. The Manor Dam, located in Manor, India, offers a panoramic view and is located 25 minutes from Boisar.
- DNA Newspaper, Mumbai
- Times Of India, Mumbai
- Tarapur ki Aawaz
- Palghar Mitra
- Boisar Darpan
- Navyug Palghar
- Boisar Samachar
- Palghar Times
- Palghar Mirror
- jagat bharti-(hindi weekly)
- Mumbai Mirror
- Economic Times
- Maharashtra Times
- Hindustan Times
- Indian Express